If you had to pick a single .22 pistol... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:32 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you had to pick a single .22 pistol...

I'm not totally sold on my new Glock 44. I've got a friend offering to buy it from me and if I decide to part with it I'm looking for other options. (I've got a Mark IV Competition, but I don't want to lug out the 3 lb behemoth all the time.)

I'm looking for something that fun to shoot, hopefully not too finicky on ammo, and not hard to find spare parts for (although hopefully parts aren't needed often.) It's going to be a range and plinking gun. No competitions or anything but I want it reasonably accurate.

Not concerned about threaded barrels (I'm in Illinois, no cans for me) If it's got a rail that's fine but totally not needed.

There's an SR22 (part number 3620) with the 4.5" barrel that I'm looking at that seems nice, but I'm terrible at making decisions and second guess myself way too much. I can use some advice.

Last edited by GregP74; 02-06-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:03 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Used Ruger RST/Mark I/Mark II, S&W SW22 Victory, almost any Browning Buck Mark. Skip the pistols with long barrels to keep the weight down. All of the above match your criteria. Or a lighter Mark IV. Go to a gun store & handle as many as you can. Your hand will narrow down the choices.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:48 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TX-22 and a Buckmatk Micro!
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 06:18 AM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned just about all of them and many guns have come and gone. Mostly gone.

The gun that has stayed has been my Smith and Wesson 63. I had one 4 inch from 1980 to 2007. Then it got retired for the 'new' model 63 with an 8 shot cylinder and 3 inch barrel and high visibility fiber optic sight for older eyes.

Its very accurate on soda cans and tennis balls to 30-40 yards, shoots anything you shove into it, and is a S&W. As far as parts, in 50 years of shooting S&W rimfire revolvers, and many tens of thousands of rounds, I've never had a problem.

They cost a bit more, but they are worth it in the long run.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:38 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
I've owned just about all of them and many guns have come and gone. Mostly gone.

The gun that has stayed has been my Smith and Wesson 63. I had one 4 inch from 1980 to 2007. Then it got retired for the 'new' model 63 with an 8 shot cylinder and 3 inch barrel and high visibility fiber optic sight for older eyes.

Its very accurate on soda cans and tennis balls to 30-40 yards, shoots anything you shove into it, and is a S&W. As far as parts, in 50 years of shooting S&W rimfire revolvers, and many tens of thousands of rounds, I've never had a problem.

They cost a bit more, but they are worth it in the long run.
The idea of a wheel gun hadn't even come to mind. That's something I'll have to think about. I had a Ruger... I think it was a GP something ages ago. It wasn't my favorite but I did like that I could feed it anything from CBs to Stingers and everything in between with no issues.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something else from the MK line is doable, but I've owned a few of them over the years. While I love my Cometition one, I'm just kind of tired of them and all the work I end up doing before I get them to a point there I enjoy shooting them. (Mostly the Volquartsen kits.)

I didn't notice any of the Tauruses at my shop when I was looking around. I owned a couple of their guns in my younger days that seemed rather questionable quality-wise, but I've been reading people like the TX-22.

The Buckmark is another one I've had in mind. I remember shooting one my buddy had but that was years ago. Seemed like it was accurate and that's a gun you always hear good things about. Definitely will be on my short list. The shop had a couple different models of those as well as a couple used ones to choose from. I think the mags for those were a little more expensive, but that's not really a big deal. I usually end up getting a total of 4 or 5 to keep in the case with them so it's not like I'm going to be magazine shopping all the time.

I'd read a lot people say the Walthers are great, but one of the guys at the shop said they don't carry them because production quality isn't good and the metallurgy is sub par.

A lot of people seem to be liking the SW Victory. I didn't get a chance to look too closely at those and don't know much about them. I will have to look closer when I go back. I think during my last trip I was focusing more on the "traditional" looking autoloaders like the SR22 and M&P 22.

That full size M&P felt really good in my my hand and fit like a glove. The compact one seemed really small but wasn't bad either. I was a little honked off that they only bother shipping one mag with the full size one. The low price compared to some of the other guns worried me that the quality might not be up there. My guy at the shop told me his mom has one and she's never seen one come back in for quality issues so that was an option.

The Ruger (SR22) felt nice also and I liked the external hammer for second strikes. (Although I'm not sure it's really that necessary.) Once again the regular one seemed really small but the 4.5" version was a little more to my liking. The guy told me they're also a good solid gun. I was pretty much set on one of those but looking at Midway USA and Brownells it looks like they don't stock much if anything in the way of spare parts. That's probably not a problem but I'm used to my centerfire pistols where you could darn near build a complete pistol with the factory and aftermarket parts available any time you need them.

Also I should mention I'm not totally ready to get rid of the Glock. Aside from having to futz around with the last round loaded into the mag to make sure it's oriented properly I really haven't had any troubles when it's clean. The reports of them cracking kind of worried me but that doesn't seem to be some kind of epidemic. Is it still just the 2 that have happened?

Last edited by GregP74; 02-06-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What I would consider ...

I would consider buying a S&W Model 34, the J-Frame Kit Gun, made of steel with a 4" barrel. Made before the built in locks, well made and will hold value. And being a revolver, you can feed it any .22 rimfire ammo you have.

If a pistol, I would get a Beretta model 70 or 71. One of the most reliable pistols and light enough in weight and small enough in size to satisfy your need for something smaller and lighter than your target pistol.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 AM
1911CCW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I own both rimfire semi-autos and revolvers. I like and shoot both. You may take a look at the Ruger 22/45 Lite as one option. There are spare parts all over the internet. I own a Ruger SR-22 and have noticed that it doesn't have very many spare parts available without calling Ruger. I have had a heck of a time trying to get spare magazine springs for it. As far as durability goes I believe that the Mark series pistols will last a whole lot longer having a steel bolt group. The mark series pistols are a time-proven design with lots of aftermarket support.

When it comes to rimfire revolvers I have owned the S&W 317, 617, SP101 .22, and Single Six. I was looking hard at getting a S&W Model 18 but the price has kept me away. From the models I have owned I can recommend the SP101 .22 but you will have to do a trigger job. Even then the trigger is still substantially heavier than the K frame S&W's. That's one reason I tried the Single Six. I ended up cocking the hammer most of the time on my double actions anyways. For me the single six fit my hand like a brick. I found that I tend to like the Ruger Bearcat much more but they are getting up there in price within $200 of a Modle 18 S&W. Others have recommended the S&W Model 63 (the all steel version of the 317). Not a bad choice but make sure you like the grip shape. I am not a fan of the "banana" grips of the J frame revolvers, hence why I like the K frames.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911CCW View Post
I own both rimfire semi-autos and revolvers. I like and shoot both. You may take a look at the Ruger 22/45 Lite as one option. There are spare parts all over the internet. I own a Ruger SR-22 and have noticed that it doesn't have very many spare parts available without calling Ruger. I have had a heck of a time trying to get spare magazine springs for it. As far as durability goes I believe that the Mark series pistols will last a whole lot longer having a steel bolt group. The mark series pistols are a time-proven design with lots of aftermarket support.
I'll check out the 22/45 lite as well. Those share the same innards as the MK if I remember correctly. To be honest after all the work I've done on my competition one not sure if I really want to go doing up one of those triggers again lol
Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of the best kept secrets of the Smith &Wesson's are the 422, 622, and 2206 line. They are reliable and accurate.

Last edited by Indigo22; 02-08-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chances are that "my" last 22lr pistol to go would be a TOZ35 free pistol.

If I was to pick one for "plinking" gun, it would probably be wheel-gun. like a M34 or a Ruger SP101

or some sort of pocket pistol

Last edited by SillyMike; 02-06-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I am going to cheat on the question a little. I recently put a Nelson Custom .22 conversion on one of my 1911's. It is super accurate and has been very reliable at the range. Technically, it is not the firearm -- the receiver, which I already owned, is the serialized part. All the pleasures of a 1911 trigger and the expense of .22 LR compared to .45 ACP.

Second would be an S&W revolver. I have a Model 17 that is just sooo accurate. Shoots just great, and it is well balanced. If I was limited to just one, this would be it. The 6-inch barrel is easier for me to control than the shorter one of the Model 63.

Finally, if you are looking for reasonable cost, but lighter weight than your Mk IV Competition, look at getting just a Standard upper for your Mk IV. Takes 15 seconds to swap out along with the bolt. I did this the other way. I have a Standard, which I have set up with a red dot. The Standard's sights are so low that you'd have to remove the whole rail to shoot it with iron sights. I bought a bull barrel from VQ on closeout for $40 and can swap the receivers in a matter iof seconds. The trigger job in the grip frame serves for both. Even a standard aftermarket prices it's a good deal compared to the price of a whole working firearm. Here's my Standard:

Here's a thin taper upper for $99 at Wirthwein,

https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Used...upper-4tpr.htm
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I am going to cheat on the question a little. I recently put a Nelson Custom .22 conversion on one of my 1911's. It is super accurate and has been very reliable at the range. Technically, it is not the firearm -- the receiver, which I already owned, is the serialized part. All the pleasures of a 1911 trigger and the expense of .22 LR compared to .45 ACP.
On that note, ordered then canceled a .22 conversion kit for my Beretta 92FS. I had thought about ordering the M9 22 complete pistol but realized that would just make me mad 'cause it wouldn't have all the amazing work that's been done on my 92fs lower.

I read a few reviews though about the safety breaking off and the thing had to be sent in and was gone for months at a time. Apparently the conversions are made by Umarex and the parts for them are neither standard Beretta or available easily. (And according to some dealers, the whole kit has been discontinued. That kind of kept me away also.)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 AM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only one .22...............................

Colt Woodsman!!

Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP74 View Post
Also I should mention I'm not totally ready to get rid of the Glock. Aside from having to futz around with the last round loaded into the mag to make sure it's oriented properly I really haven't had any troubles when it's clean. The reports of them cracking kind of worried me but that doesn't seem to be some kind of epidemic. Is it still just the 2 that have happened?
What do you mean about "oriented properly?" The only "orienting" I have to do is make sure the bullets are facing forward. I always give the back of any magazine on any pistol a light rap against my palm to make sure the rounds are seated. Perhaps that is why I am not experiencing any failures to feed with mine? Might be worth giving it a try. Like I said, it is standard procedure for me with any magazine.

Last edited by Mike_AK; 02-06-2020 at 09:54 AM.