Need to rebarrel my 52 - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)

Can you get any 90° angle pics I have a 40 X that has tooling chatter marks all the way from the lead to the muzzle it actually doesn’t look too have been shot that much
Old 01-08-2020, 09:30 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those are reamer marks. It is normal for barrels of that vintage to look like that. Machining wasn't near a good as it is now.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Group TONIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Would have been almost impossible to accurately see these marks without a bore scope. I'll be interested to see how it shoots.
Rick H.
Unlike regular reamer marks, these are visible from the Muzzle end if you look into the barrel @ a 60deg angle. The lands of the rifling look like little helical matte ribs.

Unertl 24x programmer mounted, I'll bee shooting tonight. Stay tuned.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 AM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
inconclusive testing

Went to range in blustery wind, managed to hit a lot of golfballs at 100 but too gusty for groups shooting. My gut feeling, having shot 250rds. Its not the tack driver it should be, but its still no slouch. I moved down from the programmer to a nickel 3/4" and got a picture of the bore from the muzzle showing the chatter marks.

If I cant straighten it out, there's a green mountain .17 barrel lying around, and I've been itching to make a 52d .17hmr.

Last edited by LeShaghal; 01-14-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 AM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lap the barrel. If you're hitting golf balls at 100 it is a good 52.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying REALLY hard not to sound snarky here, however...

Golf balls at 100 yards in gusty winds and, "it's not the shooter it should be."?

Wow, just wow.

I happen to have a golf ball sitting by my chair. At best it's an inch and 1/2 across. Crappy scope (yeah compared to new glass they are crappy scopes) I don't think you will be happy. (oh and chatter marks have never been an indicator of accuracy. (Esp not those minor marks)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShaghal View Post
Went to range in blustery wind, managed to hit a lot of golfballs at 100 but too gusty for groups shooting. My gut feeling, having shot 250rds. Its not the tack driver it should be, but its still no slouch. I moved down from the programmer to a nickel 3/4" and got a picture of the bore from the muzzle showing the chatter marks.

If I cant straighten it out, there's a green mountain .17 barrel lying, and I've been itching to make a 52d .17hmr.

Good luck. I assume you mean a .17 HM2, right? You'll need modification of the 52 action to get a .17 HMR to fit...although I have contemplated the same thing many times .

TBR
Old 01-14-2020, 12:29 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Well all I can say is if your intention to shoot club matches in Chelan County Washington, you best bring a little more rifle to the party....no offense intended.
Thanks to everyone who posted replies and especially Lasheghal, he is a man of his word.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:06 PM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I assume you mean a .17 HM2, right? You'll need modification of the 52 action to get a .17 HMR to fit.
TBR
No I meant .17HMR.
The lower feed tray/ejector is a bolt in piece, The bolt could easily be spot faced to dia. and the port is big enough to extract a spent round (though I'm not sure about a live one??? probably a tad short?)
But tha'ts a subject for another thread.

To the suggestion of lapping....those marks won't just "buff out"

As to the guns current accuracy: Again, until I can print groups and post photo proof its all hunches and speculation.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:37 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Good luck. I assume you mean a .17 HM2, right? You'll need modification of the 52 action to get a .17 HMR to fit...although I have contemplated the same thing many times .

TBR
If you are hitting golf balls at 100 yards, you are doing better than most ammo would allow at 100 yards. In a gusty wind I say B.S.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:56 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShaghal View Post
No I meant .17HMR.
The lower feed tray/ejector is a bolt in piece, The bolt could easily be spot faced to dia. and the port is big enough to extract a spent round (though I'm not sure about a live one??? probably a tad short?)
But tha'ts a subject for another thread.

To the suggestion of lapping....those marks won't just "buff out"

As to the guns current accuracy: Again, until I can print groups and post photo proof its all hunches and speculation.
Yes, probably another thread is warranted.

FYI, Winchester produced a few 52 prototypes in .22 WMR, so it's not impossible, and, like I said, I have been very close to making a 52 .17 HMR myself, but it is probably more work than one might think. The bolt stop is part of the sear, and there is precious little room on the underside of the bolt body to extend bolt travel much there. The ejector nose could be ground back slightly, but probably not quite enough. Any messing with the bolt face will also require modification of the extractor and the opposing assist, but, I suppose if you are willing to live with being unable to eject live rounds, you can make it work. All the parts are readily available: the ejector bolt guide, extractors, even a bolt body, but I would make all the modifications to the bolt and/or receiver before I rebarreled it. You would need to have the bolt ready for head spacing to fit the barrel anyway.

If you do go that route, please post updates for us...you've already got me wanting to tackle a .17 HMR 52 again.

TBR
Old 01-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Maybe they were in the box of 12?
Old 02-06-2020, 12:49 AM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Big news!

For anyone who may still be interested, take a look at today's posting titled "Carbon Ring Cause and Effect". A thread on that forum by Penage Guy (sic?) contains a link about rimfire research and development. Go to page 7/45 and you will see a bore scope photo that shows exactly that same condition as discussed here, and what caused the damage.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM
rimfirerod

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
rebarrel

call Howard Pitts, 931-993-6122 and arrange for him to put a barrel on for you, Killough Shooting Sports have Shilen Ratchet barrels in stock, you'll be happy
Old 02-10-2020, 01:47 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been sort of keeping up with this thread. Took my Winchester 52E Saturday and was not satisfied with results. Normally the gun shoots very well, so I decided it was time to give the bore a deep cleaning. While out in the the shop with it, I decided to check the bore with my Lyman bore scope. I was surprised at how rough the bore appeared. But, and this is the important thing for me, the gun has proven to shoot exceptionally well over the few years I have owned it. Below are a few pics of the bore. Leshaghal, some of these will look familiar to you....

A shot of the leade area of a land:

Area of chamber immediately before lands begin:

leade area and rifling:

Rifling close to chamber:

Further down the bore about half way to muzzle:

As you can see, there are some pretty rough reamer(?) marks in the chamber area and on the surface of the lands all the way from chamber to muzzle. One would tempted to say that this gun would have accuracy issues based on what one sees. But in this case, one would be wrong, as this is the most accurate rimfire rifle I have ever owned (out of a number of other 52s, a 40XB, Suhl, and more than a handful of Anschutz guns......most all of which had better looking bores. A few pics not of the bore but of results:

From about 5 years ago:

From last year:

This gun has shot back to back 250s on the IR 50 target at fifty yards and averaged 249 on that same target last year. So, what I get out of all this is that looks is one thing - when it comes to a bore - but performance is what really counts. Don't count a gun out until it has been given a good chance with good ammo.

Last edited by pump .22s; 02-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.