Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:38 PM
Darin17WSM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brand new $500 and barrel runs left 😡

I’m trying to figure out the remedy to this dilemma... brand new rifle and the barrel
runs so far left that I can’t bore sight it and
I’ve ran out of adjustment on right windage . I’ve bedded the barrel and that has taken the barrel away from the left side of the channel but not enough to be able to
bore sight it. I just put an order in for the Weaver adjustable windage rings to see if that will correct the issue I’m having.
But my question is WHY do these B mags
have this issue with barrels running left of the stock channel ?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:18 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Welcome to RFC...

As to the "why" I'd imagine that's a question for Savage. Call Savage, they will send you a call tag and fix the rifle.
Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 02-04-2020, 10:35 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is B23's fix posted awhile back for the cause of cockeyed metal to stocks.~ https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...crooked&page=2

Welcome to RFC Darin.
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 06:01 AM
Darin17WSM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for that information ! I will check into that washer
tonight after work . I really am hoping to correct the problem without having the headache of
sending my rifle out and possibly having to wait a month or possibly longer to get it back.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 AM
GORT000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why are you trying to put a band-aid on it? Call Savage, get and RMA number and send it back. No reason to live with an obvious defect or bent barrel.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:11 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure your bore sighting problem is related to the barrel sitting off to one side, stranger things have happened, but I'd bet it is more related to the mount/rings/mounting/scope than anything else.

I'm not a real big fan of cheap two piece Weaver mounts, like what comes on the Bmag, so regardless of if you send the rifle back to Savage or not, I recommend ditching the two piece mount and using a one piece picatinny rail instead. I got mine at DIP Inc. https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail...99517&CAT=3602 They come in black or silver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 WSM.jpg (350.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by B23; 02-05-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Tgilmer

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
B23 Bolt handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Not sure your bore sighting problem is related to the barrel sitting off to one side, stranger things have happened, but I'd bet it is more related to the mount/rings/mounting/scope than anything else.

I'm not a real big fan of cheap two piece Weaver mounts, like what comes on the Bmag, so regardless of if you send the rifle back to Savage or not, I recommend ditching the two piece mount and using a one piece picatinny rail instead. I got mine at DIP Inc. https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail...99517&CAT=3602 They come in black or silver.
Where did you get your bolt handle? I hate the factory one and like the shape of yours.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:50 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgilmer View Post
Where did you get your bolt handle? I hate the factory one and like the shape of yours.
It started life as a Galdes Armory bolt handle http://gladesarmory.com/17/savage-bmag but for me, it was way to oversize so I had my gunsmith cut some of the length off as well as he turned it down on his lathe. Not a great pic but here is a closer look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bmag bolt handle.jpg (58.0 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by B23; 02-06-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
It started life as a Galdes Armory bolt handle http://gladesarmory.com/17/savage-bmag but for me, it was way to oversize so I had my gunsmith cut some of the length off as well as he turned it down on his lathe. Not a great pic but here is a closer look.
Regular to slender boogerhooks can reach the bang switch ok if one doesn't wrap the thumb completely over the top of the stock, in which case it may not work. I've no trouble with my geezer boogerhook. YMMV of course
Old 02-06-2020, 02:27 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Regular to slender boogerhooks can reach the bang switch ok if one doesn't wrap the thumb completely over the top of the stock, in which case it may not work. I've no trouble with my geezer boogerhook. YMMV of course
Actually Al, having the original Glades bolt handle re-contoured served multiple purposes for me.

Not only did its very large size make getting back on the trigger awkward, but for me, it was aesthetically fugly. Also, because it stuck out so far, and my safe is a little on the full side, it presented a higher risk of bumping into other guns as I was taking them in and out. Generally I pull the bolts on everything and sit them on the upper shelf, but I've been known to get in a hurry, lazy-out, and neglect to pull the bolt.

As for wrapping my thumb, I learned long ago, wrapping my thumb had a tendency to cause me to roll the gun to the left, so I've been a thumb forward shooter for years, and, with vertical grip stocks, like what's on my Bmag, they promote a thumb forward grip. It's really kinda odd feeling to wrap your thumb on a vertical grip stock like that.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin17WSM View Post
Iím trying to figure out the remedy to this dilemma... brand new rifle and the barrel
runs so far left that I canít bore sight it and
Iíve ran out of adjustment on right windage . Iíve bedded the barrel and that has taken the barrel away from the left side of the channel but not enough to be able to
bore sight it. I just put an order in for the Weaver adjustable windage rings to see if that will correct the issue Iím having.
But my question is WHY do these B mags
have this issue with barrels running left of the stock channel ?
The modification of the barrel being bedded might cause Savage to balk, or not.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Darin17WSM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I finally had a chance to call Savage today and told them what I was experiencing with my new gun and I had asked them if I was to make adjustments to the Boyd’s stock that it came in if it would for some reason void the warranty and they said no it wouldn’t void it
because Boyd’s states that you may have to make final adjustments to the stock . I then asked if bedding the stock would void the warranty and they again said no it wouldn’t void the warranty because it’s not changing the mechanics of the gun itself. I said that I’d like to try what Boyd’s suggests before I decide to send the gun in to be looked at and they said absolutely no problem.
So does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for finding where the gun is rubbing on the stock like putty or clay or something to show where there’s interference going on ?? Anyone have experiences to share ? Thanks in advance ! ��
Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
This is B23's fix posted awhile back for the cause of cockeyed metal to stocks.~ https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...crooked&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin17WSM View Post
So does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for finding where the gun is rubbing on the stock like putty or clay or something to show where thereís interference going on ?? Anyone have experiences to share ? Thanks in advance ! ��
Did you look into the link above?
Old 02-20-2020, 07:02 PM
Darin17WSM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did not .... but I will tell you that I bit the bullet and got another Boyd’s stock for it ... this time a thumb hole version... and along with that I bought a one piece scope base.
I just received both today and assembled them both a little while ago.... it seems as if
I had cured my problems (crossing my fingers) but everything looks the way it should.
I’m sending my Burris Predator Quest scope back for repairs because I have noticed that the last 10
clicks to the right the windage doesn’t move to the right.... I had picked up a BSA 17WSM
4.5 - 14 x 44 to try for %%%%s and giggles and it was just about on the money of the bore sighted crosshairs so I’m going to give it a whirl Saturday to see if I corrected my dilemma I’ve been experiencing. I will definitely follow up on here with what I find out .
Old 02-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Darin17WSM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I was able to get out to the range today and itís working fine.
It must of been the Boydís stock that it came equipped with. Iím sure the one piece
scope base I changed to was helpful as well. Although Iíve got more invested in this rifle than I was expecting (my choice) Iím very pleased now with what I have as a result . 👍😁