First Dead Air Mask cleaning - rotary ss pins. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
First Dead Air Mask cleaning - rotary ss pins.

I had treated the baffles of my Dead Air Mask with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid after heating them with an heat gun (used around here mostly for thawing frozen pipes). Put approximately 200 rounds through the suppressor at the range. Some gunk wiped off with a wet wipe, but once cooled down the suppressor baffles were coated with fine grit.

I put them in a Harbor Freight rock polisher with some warm water and stainless steel pins (and a touch of Dawn dishwashing liquid) for an hour. All gunk gone, except for some stubborn spots on four baffles. These came off with some scraping with a dental pick. No mar to the Ti baffles. Total scraping time: 10 minutes. I am currently baking the baffles in a toaster oven to see if I can get better adhesion with the DOT 5 brake fluid. So an hour and 10 minutes total, with the hour being pretty hands off. Not bad.

And of course, 200 rounds is not a torture test. The Dead Air Mask manual suggests a 1,000 round cleaning cycle. But I needed to take some measurements of of the can's internals and thought I'd rather measure clean parts.

Last edited by flangster; 01-06-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:43 AM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have two Masks and use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler with steel pins and have cleaned mine every 500 to 1000 rounds and it works great and I never tried the DOT thing.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you asked DAM what's the best preventive measures Flangster?
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 11:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I haven't. But the user's manual states: "With the baffles removed, they can now be cleaned in a commercial firearm’s solvent bath, tumbling in stainless steel media, ultrasonically, or using the "dip" previously discussed."

So I'm going with that for now.

Page 8 here: https://deadairsilencers.com/wp-cont...al-Low-Res.pdf

Edit: I had one of DAM's CSR's on the phone the other day. I should have asked him about the DOT 5 brake fluid. I don't think it is hurting anything though. Just slicks it all up. I am chained to my desk today and probably won't get the can out again until next week. Tell the truth, I'd rather be shooting than working (even in the cold), but which of us wouldn't generally say that . . .

Last edited by flangster; 01-09-2020 at 11:30 AM.