Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:48 PM
brian01tj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester - Made in Canada

Today I picked up a Winchester Model 64. Its a semi-auto mag fed .22lr. The interesting thing, to me at least, is that it shows on the barrel that it was Made in Canada and it also has a canadian proof mark near the chamber. I did a little digging and see that Winchester bought out a company called Cooey. It seems to be an early-ish serial number just above 27,4XX. I read that they were not the best design and people issues with reliability.

Needless to say, it looks like Savage bought the design. Does anybody know if parts are interchangeable? I need an action screw and cant find on at the usual places. Numerichs, gunbroker, ebay, etc

Thanks
Old 01-08-2020, 10:16 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I donít know about that model, but Cooey made some nice firearms.

The Winchester 490 is an example.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:23 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i agree and the cooey is a fine rifle on its own ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 02:32 AM
bayliner2052

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What you have is a Cooey 64, made after Winchester bought the factory. A Winchester 64 is a center fire lever action. Can't help with parts though.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:11 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Check the cross reference charts on Numrich Gunparts website. Winchester made a lot of .22's for Sears and maybe other retailers. Also check with Outback Gunparts. You will have to call or email them and be patient for a few days. They will respond in a few days.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have to disagree on Cooey quality. The originals Cooeys were relatively well made and gave value for the dollar although they could never match the products of the United States. For example, if you were short on cash a Cooey 39 single shot would fill the bill but if you could spare a few extra bucks, the Winchester 67 was far better. I have had numerous backwoodsmen tell me that the Winchester 67 was the most accurate .22 ever made. They said this because their only other experiences had been with Cooey .22s.

After Winchester bought Cooey in 1961 the quality steadily slipped. This was part and parcel with Winchester's 1964 massacre of their best products.

My father in law and uncle had Cooey 60 tube magazine bolt action repeaters. They were serviceable guns. I bought a Cooey 600 (the new Winchester version). The firing pin broke after several hundred rounds. A friend also bought a Cooey 600. Its firing pin broke as well.

Take it for what it's worth.