Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Camp Carbines

Decades ago I purchased 2 Marlin Camp Carbines in .45 ACP. In all that time I fired ONE round through one of them and none through the other. The reason for that was it was not long before a design flaw was discovered in the .45 version. It seems that Marlin used the same springs and buffers in both the 9 mil and .45 versions. After a while the bolt on the .45 started to crack stocks on the .45 version because of the weaker springs. The buffers on the .45 version weren't up to it either. These were the stories that I heard before I ever fired mine. I went out and purchased after market stronger springs and buffers for my 2 .45 versions with the intention of changing them. I NEVER DID!

So here I am, decades later, finally deciding to do something with them. Upon my taking a renewed interest I begin to hear unbelievable (to me) stories about these carbines developing something of a cult following and people will to pay outlandishly absurd prices for them.

Are these stories true?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:33 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
years ago my buddy got a 9 mm camp carbine.

I loved that little gun and shot the heck out of it.

Vowed to get one when I got the chance.

Have been looking off and on, every time I find one it is way too expensive.

Regards,
crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I would expect to pay in excess of $600 for a 9mm and in excess of $750 for a .45. In new condition, prices would be north of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 05:08 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a .45 version I bought new and put a red dot on it. No cracks so far. I put a couple hundred rounds a year through it. I replaced the buffer with a Blackjack buffer a couple years ago. I saw a couple 9mm versions for sale for $650 at a gun show last year. I hear the .45 version is in more demand.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:31 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought the camp-9 might be fun gun and recently looked around a bit. I had never seen one. I was turned off by the high price and use of plastic. For 1/2 the current prices, I could go for one.

Today, in a curmudgeon mood, I ran a few numbers. The list price in 1999 was $459. With the inflation calculator that is $708 today. So, if you happen to pay full retail, and held the gun for 20 years, you lost money. I think in year 1999 dollars, I would have passed this up, then as now.

Now, if I had one already, I would be shooting the gun and with Marlins reputation for micro groove and accuracy, I bet they shoot well. Then we have owners here who can speak to that.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:02 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a Camp 9. I hadn’t %%%% it in years and took it out about 5 years ago. It wouldn’t even cycle one mag. Yellow crusty residue came out of it. I knew the buffer was toast.

I put in a new buffer, new recoil spring and had Bill Springfield do a trigger job.

It ended up being a nice rifle, but there are better options today.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:34 AM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I thought the camp-9 might be fun gun and recently looked around a bit. I had never seen one. I was turned off by the high price and use of plastic. For 1/2 the current prices, I could go for one.

Today, in a curmudgeon mood, I ran a few numbers. The list price in 1999 was $459. With the inflation calculator that is $708 today. So, if you happen to pay full retail, and held the gun for 20 years, you lost money. I think in year 1999 dollars, I would have passed this up, then as now.

Now, if I had one already, I would be shooting the gun and with Marlins reputation for micro groove and accuracy, I bet they shoot well. Then we have owners here who can speak to that.
Both of mine were purchased before 1999. Don't recall what I paid for them. Both are in prime mint condition having fired only one round through one of them and the other one is still virgin. I must confess I don't recall which one was which. Perhaps I'll sell them.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Back in my Reserve Deputy Sheriff days our Sheriff wouldn't let us have Rifle caliber carbines in our vehicles but pistol Caliber were okay. A Camp 9 rode with me for a while, surprisingly accurate with 147 Black Talon, but eventually wore parts which made it unreliable. Fun little Carbine all in all.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
Both of mine were purchased before 1999. Don't recall what I paid for them. Both are in prime mint condition having fired only one round through one of them and the other one is still virgin. I must confess I don't recall which one was which. Perhaps I'll sell them.
The current demand or collectable interest seems to far exceed the practical value. Go ahead, sell them and buy something better. The 45 are more rare and bring more money. Which goes to show the value is primarily as a collectable more than user demand. In a user world, the 9mm will out sell the 45.

I like the TNW Aero survival rifle for the 45 acp (convertable to 10mm). This is recoil operated. And probably an (A2 or A4) AR15 upper in 9mm. Gas Operated.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I had a Camp9 for a number of years. It shot fine, just got more interested in Ruger #1s and sold it.
FM
Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You could probably sell one and get enough to buy a 9mm AR or the ruger PCC carbine, a bunch of mags, and a ton of ammo.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 AM
rodent shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Thumbs up Camps are fun ˇ!!!!!!!!!!

I have both the Camp 9 and Camp 45 and both are a hoot. The 45 slings big pills and can be picky on the mags it likes. The Camp 9 is totally reliable and runs like a diesel engine, I call it BIG DIRTY. I have let the 9 get sooted up ( blowbacks run like that) and it keeps running without any problems. Both wear Bushnell TRS - 25 red dots and ring steel plates at 50 yds. easy peasy.
I had to be patient and wait for years to find them. They also are OK to buy and sell in Kali. I run the 12 and 15 round mags in the 9, Chip McCormick 8 rd. in the 45.
I have shot the Ruger PC9 and it also is a Kali. approved black rifle alternative that performs well. Buy the Camp you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent shooter View Post
... snip .... They also are OK to buy and sell in Kali. I run the 12 and 15 round mags in the 9, Chip McCormick 8 rd. in the 45.
I have shot the Ruger PC9 and it also is a Kali. approved black rifle alternative that performs well ... snip ...
I did not think of that. These may carry an added premium simply because they are allowed in some of the Kommie states. Someone in a free state might be a seller.

Last edited by fourbore; 01-10-2020 at 07:27 AM.