Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got a 541-T HB Looks nice..

Looks nice, feels a little rough. Got it for a pretty good price but it was missing the magazine (part of the price consideration). I've always been a big fan on 788s and figure this is just a mini 788..If it's as relatively accurate as some of the 788s I've owned it should be a fun shooter.

Anyone know the date range on the HB models?

This one has a Q year code so I guess it's a 1996 vintage.

Seems a lot of folks think these things are just clunkers and then some think they are the best thing going. I don't think I've seen so much disparity in reviews on a rifle.
Ahh, Just got a magazine for $20.. Should be good to go in a few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xQNDB6047.jpg (69.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Arlon; 01-09-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:12 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one just like that. Nice guns if you don't mind the plastic magazine. The best I could get mine to shoot was about 1/2" at 50yds. I finally ended up selling it.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I haven't had a 541T but many 581's and 580's which are the same action. It's a great rifle and as far as the 5rd plastic magazines go I have never had a problem with them but the 10 rounders are pretty much junk. You can buy plastic 3D printed ones and metal replacements through members of this site. With proper headspacing and a good tuneup your gun should shoot great, if it already doesnt.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I had one o bought used in Abq. Put a Leupold 6-18x on it. It was before I got more interested in rimfire.
I remember being disappointed in the accuracy, but didnt know much about rimfire , so who knows.
Later I contacted Voelker about it, but in the end I couldnt find a stock I liked so I sold it. Now, of course I wish I kept it.

Remington still makes runs of 5rd mags..the 10rds suck...out loud.
I found a NIB single shot adapter on ebay, and use that in my 581..I never loaded the mag anyway. I've got some mags if you want a spare.

The action is nice, if not as stiff as a true target gun...but I doubt it matters much.
A Timney 788 trigger can be modified to fit.
Add a second action screw, find a tight spot in the bore, etc.
Parts are drying up and getting expensive.

If you want an EGW 20 moa rail..I've got one I'll let go..
Old 01-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just cleaned the rifle up a bit. Barrel was not floated, bolt was grinding and a few other little issues. Took the stock off and found about a spoon full of fine sand under the stock and everywhere else. Got it all cleaned out, barrel now passes a piece of notebook paper, no grind on the bolt and the trigger feels a lot better.

There was also a little bulge in the stock over the sling swivel screw. Sanded that down. Not the kind of pressure point I was thinking of.

I guess this got stuck in the corner of someones closet and sat there for a long time. Doesn't look used much at all but it sure collected a lot of grit. West Texas has a lot of fine sand that blows on the wind and gets in everything.

It does have two stock screws to play with for tension. Barrel just being pinned makes me think it might be worth messing with some tension on the barrel. Not sure just how stable a pinned barrel is going to be once it's floated. Maybe better to bed the barrel half way down the stock.

Don't need a tack driver but would like it to shoot minute of beer can at 50 yds.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
AOK FOR MINUTE OF BEER CAN AT 50 YARDS!
Old 01-10-2020, 12:06 AM
dryfly24
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have a 541T Sporter and a 541S. Both are tack drivers.

The problem was with some of the heavy barreled versions. I would check your bore wit a bore scope. A number of them were known to have left the factory with unfinished sections in the barrels I think closer to the end near the muzzle. Some of them still shot ok despite being afflicted with the issue. But no way to know unless you scope it.

Yours is probably fine. They are great little rifles. I love mine.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
AOK FOR MINUTE OF BEER CAN AT 50 YARDS!

That's my criteria also!

Congrats to the OP for finding a heavy barreled one!
Old 01-11-2020, 06:05 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a 5 shot magazine in the mail today so I got to try it out. Took 2 shots to figure out where it was hitting but after that it busted the can every shot. I was shooting some of the CCI Quiet ammo, has more drop at 50 yards than you would think (about the same as my RWS 48 air rifle).

I like the weight of the heavy barrel for shooting offhand, it just hangs out there pretty well for me. Only thing that would make it better would be to have it set up with receiver sight and globe sight up front. Scope works but receiver sight is just more fun for me on can duty. Wish I could set it more like my 521-T.

Need to try one of my shooting slings on it. Not sure how much a sling will torque the stock. I'll find out soon enough.

All in all not bad for the cost. I'm pretty pleased from first impressions.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can someone tell me if this is the 2 screw trigger? I read the sticky and it mentions a screw on the back. Mine has no screw on the back. It has the two on the front and one way out at the front end of the trigger housing. I assume that front one out by itself is not for adjustment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9566x.jpg (70.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 12:39 AM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
Can someone tell me if this is the 2 screw trigger? I read the sticky and it mentions a screw on the back. Mine has no screw on the back. It has the two on the front and one way out at the front end of the trigger housing. I assume that front one out by itself is not for adjustment?
The screw out front is there to hold the trigger housing snug. You loosen that one up before removing the pins that hold the trigger on.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:23 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
The later T's like yours had the 2 screw. Sear engagement was eliminated. 3rd screw would be on back.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess this is the lawyer trigger. Backing out the tension screw all the way had basically no affect. I have read about everyones great triggers. Guess it isn't happening for me unless I decide to D&T that third screw and change some springs. Might happen but not sure. It breaks very nicely just pretty stiff. My old 510 Target Master has better trigger. )-:}

I did run across a diagram that showed where to put that third hole so I might just try it.. Sure would be nice to lighten it up a little.

Last edited by Arlon; 01-12-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:59 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Generally if you pull the trigger apart, clean everything up and respring it the trigger will go from around 6 lbs to about 3lbs. I would think that doing those things with the adjustments you do have would get you a pretty nice trigger. As you said they are a very nice clean crisp trigger just heavy.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 AM
DGNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifle, made in upstate NY in good old USA. If it is not so already, in a few years that will be another American classic, of days gone by.

Hoping it will prove very accurate for you in use.

Regards,

Dyson