current .22 ammo supply question and the occasional sewer rat. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Flint_Fredrstone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
current .22 ammo supply question and the occasional sewer rat.

I have a question about the current supply of .22 ammo.

When I was shooting growing up in the 80's it seemed as if ammo was everywhere. I was shooting a lot and I never had a problem getting ammo. If I recall correctly, here where I'm from, a box of .22 lr was no more than 7 dollars a box at the local gas station. That of course was with an insane markup but hey,, it was next door.. They got my business but when I was in town I could pick up a box for 4 or 5 bucks.

During the late 90's I moved to the big city down south and gave up shooting except for keeping a single shot 12ga just for some extra insurance against the very high crime rate compared to the "country". I bought a box of 5 12ga 000 buckshot and that lasted me 10 years only using those on the random target just to remember what recoil felt like. There was no "game" so to speak of except for the occasional sewer rat that I would catch in a steel trap. I always wished I hadn't sold off my rimfire.

I have moved back to the country and acquired a .22 rifle and "assumed" that .22 ammo would be plentiful and cheap. I don't see much of a shortage. I can buy 2 boxes of ammo at walmart for the cheapest cci around. Its not really cheap but affordable compared to the pawn shop which openly tells customers they can't compete with walmart. Their prices are x2 the price of warlmarts ammo.

The pawnshop has 5 boxes each of centerfire ammo such as 30.06, 30.30., 243, 308, etc. They also have 3-4 boxes of rimfire ammo both .22 and .17. All of these prices are outrageous. Walmart has 1 box of a variety of centerfire ammo and here is the kicker.

Walmart has the cheapest price for me, but only has two boxes on the shelf. I can leave and come back 4 hours later and guess what..... There sits two more boxes. I come back the next afternoon. Two more boxes. I'm sure they aren't ordering two boxes every time like that. Why don't they fill the case? Wouldn't they make more $$ that way or is there some kind of restriction?

I have heard about an earlier walmart restriction issue that may or may not have been lifted. I can get ammo cheaper online but have to pay the surcharge which negates me buying anything less than 1000 rounds. I am trying to stock up a little bit at a time and it would be nice to buy more than two boxes at a time.

Is there any new restrictions on buying ammo that may have changed since 1990 and are rimfire factories still running 24/7 ??... Is their output regulated? What is the status on rimfire ammo? Do you have a shortage or an abundance of cheap reliable ammo?

Death to sewer rats .22 style :-)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:39 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know where you live but her in NY state theres plenty of any ammo at sporting good stores, gun shops and also Walmart. And we have one of the most anti gun dictators running the state. The prices are good also. 100 pack of CCI is usualy around 7-8 bucks. Bulk bricks of 500 or so 17-22 depending on what it is. Check some other Walmarts or large chain stores that offer guns and ammo. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint_Fredrstone View Post
Walmart has the cheapest price for me, but only has two boxes on the shelf. I can leave and come back 4 hours later and guess what..... There sits two more boxes. I come back the next afternoon. Two more boxes.
Didja try coming back 15 min. later to check if more is out? Ammo counter person not spilling the beans why?
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 03:58 PM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have rimfire running out of my ears. There was definitely a drought from 2013 to late 2017 in my neck of the woods.

I wanted some more birdshot and visited Walmart to find boxes and boxes of Federal bulk pack (Load 790), winchester superX bulk, overpriced CCI SV, and decently priced CCI stingers and MiniMags. All of my local gun stores are fully stocked with product.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:18 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Plenty of supply on line ...

There is plenty of ammo you can get on line. You can buy 10,000 rounds a year of bulk Eley from CMP and it's pretty good ammo. A lot more consistent than the cheep stuff. Check out Champion Choice, Champion Shooter's Supply etc.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Academy Sports usually has free shipping if you order over $25 of ammo. Used them quite a bit because not much more than CCI/Federal in my area.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Have you asked for more ammo at your Walmart and or asked why they only put out 2 boxes? Around here in Oregon Walmart has plenty of rimfire ammo but the display case shelves are getting empty since they have stopped selling handgun ammo.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint_Fredrstone View Post
I can get ammo cheaper online but have to pay the surcharge which negates me buying anything less than 1000 rounds. I am trying to stock up a little bit at a time and it would be nice to buy more than two boxes at a time.
Suppose you could speak to the Walmart store manager. My guess is you'll come away feeling like you pounded your head against a post.

Probably not what you want to hear but you ought to rethink your need to buy just two boxes at a time. It is a false economy. Isn't your time worth something? Don't you spend money on gas going to Walmart?

Save money till you can buy a case. Buy once online. Find the best price, maybe even free shipping. Stop wasting gas money and time driving to Walmart to buy two boxes.

Of course, I'd do just about anything to avoid going to a Walmart, so.........
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I came "on line" in the shooting sports just as the last ammunition shortage was getting under way. Seems to me like that experience left everyone in the supply chain, including the customers, a little chaffed. My rank, uninformed speculation is that what you are seeing at Walmart is the "hangover" from that earlier experience.

At the moment, rimfire ammunition can be had in bulk at a reasonable cost, at least compared to prices in the depths of our prior shortage. And I think if you poke around RFC you'll find more than a fair share of plinkers who have decided "never again" and have laid out money up front to ensure their own supply, whether it be Aguila, CCI Standard Velocity, Federal bulk pack or Automatch.

FWIW, the expensive stuff: the Eley, R50, Laupua etc? That was never in particularly short supply. Its cost seem to have insulated it from demand, if you know what I mean.

In your particular case, I'd have a word with the Walmart store manager and explain what you want. You also might point out to him or her that you are more than happy to spend your money with Acadamy at .05-.07 per round if he or she doesn't want to close the deal with you for the quantities you require. For instance:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cci...dCatid=1220259

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fed...ire-ammunition

Or at Sportsman's Guide:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1800448

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=2205051

So that's my answer: there appears to be plenty of .22 LR in the supply chain and my (once again) totally uninformed wild guess is that manufacturers are back to producing what their distributors say they need for the next quarter (or whatever delivery period there is) at the lowest possible cost in terms of labor, overtime etc.

What has changed, I think, from ten years ago is that consumers bear some scars from "last time." Ironically, I think that this is probably more likely than not to cause a future stress on the supply change at the slightest sign of trouble. At least that's the assumption I am going with.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, set some coin aside and buy larger quantities online rather than stressing out over wallyworld policies/shenanigans. My volume .22LR ammo is CCI Blazer 40gr., which shoots OK in several rifles and pistols and can even be used in cowboy silhouette matches. I get this for 3.8 cents per round delivered to my door from TargetSportsUSA, which has free shipping for case quantities. I have to suppress the urge to order yet another case of this as I'm currently sitting on a pile of about 25,000 rounds of the stuff, despite my best efforts to shoot my way through it.
If I'm going to order small quantities of centerfire ammo I usually use SGAmmo, which has slightly better overall cost for that scenario. There are several excellent online sources for ammo, this is a great place to find out who they are by asking questions or just reading the responses in threads like this one. Over time you'll try out the sources mentioned and find the ones that work best for you.

Last edited by TrblShtr; 01-09-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:56 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I managed to stock up too much during the Great Shortage, grabbing some every chance I got. I went by the saying, "Buy two and shoot one". I won't ever need more. My shooting situation has changed so that I don't shoot as much.

I'm not sure whether to be mad at myself. Most of what I have was 2-3 cents a round, but now that I have so much I may never use, that kind of negates the money I saved over current prices. I have to trust that it will stay in good condition, too. So far, the oldest boxes (9-10 years) still have shiny brass with good looking lube.

For now, my advice would be to estimate how much you're likely to use in a year's time, and not stock up more than 1 1/2 times that. That gives you some "cushion" should the supply situation change.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:08 AM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Fredstone. To answer part of your question, when I was a kid in the 40-50s you could buy a box of 22s for less than a dollar and you could almost pick it up at the candy store. I'm guessing now you must be a licensed FFL to not only sell guns but also ammunition so that by itself limits where you can buy ammo.

And if you are just getting back into shooting, you may not remember the ammo shortage starting in 2008. You couldn't buy a box of 22s to save your soul. My wife was working in the sporting goods section in the local Walmart. Every morning when she opened up, there were the same guys, "Do you have any 22 ammo". This went on for months and months. You couldn't even buy powder, primers or bullets and everything sky rocketed in price and never went back.

I'd be willing to bet every time there is "another" mass shooting occurs, ammo sales as well as gun sales go up with the new threat of "gun control". People still remember the "2008 shortage".
Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 AM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
The smart money buys online by the case with free shipping. That way, you can spend your time at the range instead of endlessly making Walmart trips looking to buy a couple of boxes.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:04 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In addition to the other favorite links on where to get ammo I like the search engine called AmmoSeek. It might not have everybody's store out in internet land but it has a lot. Also gives me an idea of what ammo is currently averaging at.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There should be some reasonably price large gun shops that have ammo for fair and reasonable prices. It is hard to beat walmart because of the buying power. The best local shops will be close enough for a reasonable person.

I dont know what more Fred expects? He can tell us what area falls inside his driving radius and member can steer him toward local sources. Or use Google Map "gun shops" and start making calls.