What Are People Smoking??? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:11 AM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
82% (18)

When they quit importing them they were $1000+ list price at many places. CDNN closed them out for $299 or less but those are gone. I bought 10 & still have several NIB so why arn't they worth what the brought BEFORE being closed out? It's like the Winchester Wildcat made 1 year in sporter & Varmint. Russian gun in a better stock & very accurate with most ammo. Someone on here got a part time job at a gun shop & found 10 in the back room for $199. I bought the last 2 & even got free T shirts. You can spend $1000 on a new rimfire & get far less of a rifle than a Biathlon IMHO.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsquirrel View Post
When they quit importing them they were $1000+ list price at many places. CDNN closed them out for $299 or less but those are gone. I bought 10 & still have several NIB so why arn't they worth what the brought BEFORE being closed out? It's like the Winchester Wildcat made 1 year in sporter & Varmint. Russian gun in a better stock & very accurate with most ammo. Someone on here got a part time job at a gun shop & found 10 in the back room for $199. I bought the last 2 & even got free T shirts. You can spend $1000 on a new rimfire & get far less of a rifle than a Biathlon IMHO.
When I originally asked this question I was amazed at the asking price given what I had paid for mine. I am not going to sell mine to make some extra bucks. I let the Grandkids shoot it. They can go through ammo fast, but still slower than a semiauto,
The only rifle I have that is slower than the Russian is my Winchester 52 D & E, since these are single shot bolt guns is slows them down considerably. Those kids can go through 500 rounds in an hour easy.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:47 AM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a pair of Izhmash Biathlon Basics in .22lr when they were first being imported for $260/ea. They were very definitely the most accurate rimfires I've ever owned as well as the quickest to manipulate. Ultimately I sold them both because the barrels were too heavy for me to shoot comfortably offhand. Smooth actions though. Glass-bedded. Neat target crowns. Wrapped barrels. Another thing that really turned me off was the low quality stock. The wood was very soft and the checkering and wood grain/color was terrible. I now have a CZ FS and Trainer, both scoped with Leupold 4x28mm rimfire scopes in low Warne 7.3 series rings. They're more versatile and the fit and finish are much better.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:07 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thank my lucky star I bough 4-5 rnd mags and 2-10 rnd mags back in the day.
I did trade a RFC member for one 10 rnd mag for a 5+3 mag about 6 years ago.
Now I have 5X5 mags and a 10+3 mag now all work just fine.

My Basic is my iron sight machine now, 320 bucks out the door.

Smoking left hand cig's I am sure.....

Last edited by midwest swiss; 12-21-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
I thank my lucky star I bough 4-5 rnd mags and 2-10 rnd mags back in the day.
I did trade a RFC member for one 10 rnd mag for a 5+3 mag about 6 years ago.
Now I have 5X5 mags and a 10+3 mag now all work just fine.

My Basic is my iron sight machine now, 320 bucks out the door.

Smoking left hand cig's I am sure.....
Hey Midwest--those 7-2 mags sure look pretty right there...plastic gold!! So glad that I have a few mags as well (four 5-rounders and one 5+3 rounder). Needless to say, I guard them VERY closely when at the range.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:46 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I bought my Biathlon Basic 7-2 KO new in May, 2008. It cost me $367. I have three 5 round mags for it.

The action is quick and smooth. The trigger is first rate; light and breaks like glass. It's also very accurate. Below is a target I shot at 75 yards: 10 shots with Eley Club Extra.

The only negative I can think of is that the scope must be removed in order to remove the bolt to clean the chamber and bore from the rear. It doesn't require cleaning often so it's not really that troublesome.

While I wouldn't pay $900 for one - even NIB - I think they're worth a lot more than I paid.

Last edited by doubs43; 12-21-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:55 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
....The only negative I can think of is that the scope must be removed in order to remove the bolt to clean the chamber and bore from the rear....
I forgot about that! less than ideal for sure. Another problem I experienced was with the 10rd magazines-the first round would always nose-dive. Was I doing something wrong or was that just an early production thing? The 5rd mags were flawless.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:11 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
I forgot about that! less than ideal for sure. Another problem I experienced was with the 10rd magazines-the first round would always nose-dive. Was I doing something wrong or was that just an early production thing? The 5rd mags were flawless.
Never have had a problem with my mags.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
[QUOTE=doubs43;11711145]
The only negative I can think of is that the scope must be removed in order to remove the bolt to clean the chamber and bore from the rear. It doesn't require cleaning often so it's not really that troublesome.

While I wouldn't pay $900 for one - even NIB - I think they're worth a lot more than I paid.

doubs43-- I never considered this bothersome at all. Just use a PatchWorm (RFC advertiser) for routine cleaning, and use the Gunsmither (RFC advertiser as well)chamber tool to scrub the chamber/leade areas if required. This saves removing the scope and having to "touch up" the scope's zero, though it usually only takes a click or two either way, at least in my experience. Also, I agree with your statement about price. $900 for a 7-2? I don't think so...
Old 01-08-2020, 08:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I paid $500 for a NIB Basic a couple of years back. At the time the going rate seemed to be close to if not at $1000 USD. I jumped on it figuring at worst I could resell it with no loss.

Sure is a keeper though.

Last edited by Mike Clark; 01-08-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:30 PM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
82% (18)
We all bought them on a close out when the banned importation. A used one just sold for $825 quick. I bought a case of 10 as it was a no brainer. I think the 22lrs were $249 & the 22 Mags were $199 or $225. CDNN doesn't have the deals they once did. With the black gun craze they may be dirt cheap in 10 years
Old 01-08-2020, 11:14 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some good points here. As I see it, it all depends on what a person wants the rifle for. It’s a pretty unique action that lends itself well to a few applications. If you’re looking to build a true biathlon rifle, $850-$1k sure beats the price of an Anschütz 1827 Fortner. If you are looking for an accurate, fast cycling bolt gun as a suppressor host like I was, $500-$700 is probably doable these days if you are lucky. If you are just looking for an accurate plinker or one for local matches, there are several options at better prices.

Like others here, I really enjoy tinkering with mine. More importantly, it keeps me out of the gun shows looking for the next cool toy.

As for bolt removal, when mine was threaded for a suppressor, also had a shelf cut on the bottom of the receiver that allows the bolt pin to mount from below. Has worked like a charm for the last 6+ years with no abnormal wear and makes bolt removal a breeze.

As for the mags, 5 rounders are still obtainable for $50-$80 delivered and 10 rounders are definitely plastic gold as mentioned. Good thing is they really last. And there is the Marlin Mod.

And after handling the both the PWS and Volquartsen Summit, neither holds a candle to the smooth action of the 7-2 IMHO. Just a pity that they can’t be imported any more as a fixed supply simply holds the price up.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:18 PM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
82% (18)
CDNN has toggle action Steyr toggle action rimfires in 22lr, 22mag & 17hmr for $389 with a free knife that fits in the stock. Scope mount & long pic rail for a scout type scope.