Scope recommendation for rifle - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Restreb, I don't own the particular Muellar scope you listed but I do have three other Muellars, one several years old, another a few years old, and another so new I don't have it sighted in yet but have checked for function. All are excellent so I would think your selection would be too. The only thing with Muellar is to buy from an authorized dealer and keep your sales receipt or you won't have a warrany.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:37 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have to give a +1 for the Mueller scope line. I have the 4.5-14x, the 6-18x and the 8-32x Mueller's. Very nice in their price range. Google Mueller optics and check out their specs for each model and their reticles. If you find one you are interested in, check eBay, Amazon, etc. for best price. I would not hesitate to buy another Mueller. And I do have Weaver and Sightron scopes to compare to. Also, my vision circumstances are almost identical to yours. Unless there is a definite reason for a rush buy, take the time to do the research to make an informed purchase. Realize that one person's preference and recommendation, including mine, may be totally different than yours. Educate yourself and enjoy the search.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:35 PM
rodent shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Marlin 881 scope

I have and like the Meullers, but given your eyesight and range I would recommend the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40. I have two of them , one on a RWS 48 .22 pellet gun and one on a custom Ruger 10-22. This is one of the few scopes that beefs up the reticle so it can handle the shock of a springer pellet gun. It has very clear optics, and has an adjustable objective that goes down to 10 yds. and even closer in my experience. They can be found for $150 and less and even come up on rimfire occasionally. Nikon gives a great value and warranty and I've been happy with them and surprised by their clarity.
You can also go for the minimalist look and find an old Weaver V22 3-6 power or 2-7 power 7/8" tube scope on tip off (3/8") rings that gives a sleeker look to the package and these are parallaxed for .22's and have fine crosshairs. These can be found at gun shows for less than $40 and on EBAY for $80 and less. Rings can be $25 and up depending on condition.
Good luck,
Rodent Shooter.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:14 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
SECONDED, on the $34 Simmons scope.

Oh, if you are using Amazon, please go to https://smile.amazon.com/ and choose Comm2A (Commonwealth Second Amendment) as your charity. It will help those of us stuck behind enemy lines here in Massachusetts. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:33 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have old and very myopic eyes. I like to shoot tight off-hand groups at 25yrds. An AO scope really improved my results.

I started with an inexpensive AO scope and found that AO-focusing was a big improvement and worked just fine for a $30 3-9x40 AO scope.
https://www.amazon.com/SONICKING-Tac...8273494&sr=8-5

But old myopic eyes would tire after a long range day and several boxes later. So I upgrade this past fall to a Nikon when they were on sale for ~$130. Nikon 3-9x40AO EFR is specifically make to also provide crisp near-range target shootings. Like it (3 of them) a LOT.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Prostaf...s%2C307&sr=8-1

Of course the Nikon is better than the brand-X. But OA was the biggest sighting improvement regardless.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
There is a Weaver 3-9x AO on Trading Post, $175 shipped. I think it is a good price.

(I am NOT the seller)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 05:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstreib View Post
Thanks all for the recommendations. I appreciate the knowledge and experience of others.
A bit more about my situation: 72 years old. Aging eyes. Progressive lens bifocal glasses.

I have done a good bit of looking around and have narrowed my choices (dictated by budget) to one one of the following.

1, Mueller APV 2-7x32 AO

2. Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO Mil Dot

3. Hawke Vantage 4x32 AO Mil Dot

Any thoughts on these choices? Will be going on a Marlin 881.
Also recommendations on rings appreciated.

Thanks again.
I have both the Hawke Vantage 4x32 AO fixed power scope and the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO scope, both with mil-dot reticles. They are mounted on Ruger 10/22s with Weaver Quad-Lock rings.

Both scopes are very good. They hold zero well, have good clarity for their price, and the adjustable objectives work very well.

I would agree with looking at the Nikon Prostaff Target 3-9x40. Nice as the Hawke Vantage scopes are, I think the Nikon is a touch nicer. Slightly clearer and the turret adjustments are a little more tactile and smoother. I also like the reticle on the Nikon better. It is very fine with a central aiming dot which makes it good for precision shooting. But the reticle might be too fine against some backgrounds.

The Nikon scope used to be at least $50 more than the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO, but since Nikon announced they are getting out of the scope business I have seen these scopes available for around $125 which is just a trifle more than the Hawke 3-9x40
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'll second the post immediately above, and all the recommendations for either the Hawke or Nikon scopes. By coincidence, my Hawke fixed power 4x32AO arrived just today. Very well made and surprising optical quality for $79. It will go on an ultralight 10/22 whose primary use is to battle rogue pop cans and pine cones in the woods. Small and light, it's just the right scope to carry around all day as I draw a bead on various fist-sized targets of opportunity.

The Hawke replaced a red dot because I wanted to get just a bit closer to my quarry through the glass. In the woods I'd just waste time fiddling with a variable scope, and my plinking is pretty much all at 25-40 yards. For that purpose, 4x is all I need, and I chose to keep it simple with fixed power. However, AO is a must-have on any scope for me. The Hawke was one of the only fixed 4x scopes I could find with AO.

I also have the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 on a Marlin 7000. I love everything about this scope, and if they go on sale, I'll get another for my old Remington 550. The higher power, fine target reticle/dot, and fabulous Nikon optical quality make this the scope to use when I want to go to the range and shoot bullseyes.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:10 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
2x7 or 4 x scopes are great for hunting, but for plinking and targets , especially with old eyes and bifocals, more x means more fun at least for me
Yup, that's why I recommend the Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot. Once you shoot Targets with 32x you will not be happy with less.

You will not find them in a box store, but many here recommend them. I have several Hawkes and they are great hunting scopes -- just not enough power for targets and plinking.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont know anything about these but the price looks good.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...e-scope-592676