Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:15 PM
billy b
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
Ive been keeping my eye open for terrific bargains on those "horrible" MKIIs. I will never sell my MKII competition.
You got that right.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:29 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have to say there are several reasons to buy the Mark IV over the Mark II. I will get some flack but not tp many people can argue about it.

1. Mark IV drilled and tapped for scope mount from factory. May not need it now and hope you never will. But as you get older a Red Dot or Scope is nice to have as the eye's go a little bit. Mark II only later run models were drilled and tapped from factory.

2. Magazine release is a lot more convenient on the Mark IV. It is where any American Pistol should be (same as the 1911) where the Mark II is more of a European Style heal release for the magazine.

3. Take down on the Mark IV is apart and back together in 10 seconds without hurrying. Mark II is very easy if you are use to it as I am, but it is not convenient. Not in the slightest way is it convenient.

4. Accuracy is the same for both models, and build quality is the same. I have three Mark IV's and have not had one problem with any of them. They shoot everything without a hiccup.

5. Trigger is better out of the box with the Mark II but it is still a factory trigger and most people put in Volquartsen innards in them also. So really either one will cost an extra $100 for a great trigger.

Of course this is my opinion, and we all have different opinions. That's what makes the world go around.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 01-07-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:06 AM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I have to say there are several reasons to buy the Mark IV over the Mark II. I will get some flack but not tp many people can argue about it.

1. Mark IV drilled and tapped for scope mount from factory. May not need it now and hope you never will. But as you get older a Red Dot or Scope is nice to have as the eye's go a little bit. Mark II only later run models were drilled and tapped from factory.

2. Magazine release is a lot more convenient on the Mark IV. It is where any American Pistol should be (same as the 1911) where the Mark II is more of a European Style heal release for the magazine.

3. Take down on the Mark IV is apart and back together in 10 seconds without hurrying. Mark II is very easy if you are use to it as I am, but it is not convenient. Not in the slightest way is it convenient.

4. Accuracy is the same for both models, and build quality is the same. I have three Mark IV's and have not had one problem with any of them. They shoot everything without a hiccup.

5. Trigger is better out of the box with the Mark II but it is still a factory trigger and most people put in Volquartsen innards in them also. So really either one will cost an extra $100 for a great trigger.

Of course this is my opinion, and we all have different opinions. That's what makes the world go around.
I agree with JStan and I think he really summarized his points very well.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:50 PM
RANGER94
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
THANKS!!!

THANKS for all your responses. Everyone had great thoughts & opinions. I think for the short term I will stick with my Ruger Mark II.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:41 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I see no mention of the Majestic Speed Strip for the Mark II.

https://majesticarms.com/product/spe...-and-mark-iii/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcw...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 PM
RANGER94
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are correct. I donít have it but I am considering getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had the Majestic Speed Strip at one time.

Here we go again this is my opinion and most do not agree with my opinion. The Speed Strip is a total waste of money. Just as much hassle as doing it correctly the way it was designed from the factory. That's why most people do not have them. I had it in my Mark series for a very short time. Took it back out and just went back to factory disassembly.
I would not waste the money on it.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
I had the Majestic Speed Strip at one time.

Here we go again this is my opinion and most do not agree with my opinion. The Speed Strip is a total waste of money. Just as much hassle as doing it correctly the way it was designed from the factory. That's why most people do not have them. I had it in my Mark series for a very short time. Took it back out and just went back to factory disassembly.
I would not waste the money on it.
Agreed. If you have the MA "speed strip" screw down bolt pin, you'll still need a mallet, wood block or protected workbench top to hammer the upper off the front lower locking lug and to reinstall that upper. Never figured out HOW a screw action pin vs a quick mainspring removal could save any time!?!

Ted
Old 01-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98
Never figured out HOW a screw action pin vs a quick mainspring removal could save any time!?!

Ted
The idea is for removing the bolt for gun cleaning without removing the upper from the frame. Works well enough for many since you really don't need the upper off to clean the chamber and bore.

Never saw a need for a "fix" prior to the MKIIIs. Ruger addressed complaints of MKII uppers and lowers becoming loose by offsetting the alignment lug in the MKIII lower. This made installing/removing the bolt stop pin require a punch and hammer. Just stupid! So MA made the 2 piece pin so you could remove the bolt without a punch and hammer.

I bought one of those MA pins and put it in my MKIII Standard. It was too tall for the low fixed rear sight and I immediately removed and sold it. The guy that bought it had adjustable target sights and was very happy with it.

I simply corrected the hole alignment in my MKIII and now it goes together and comes apart just as easily as my MKII. Glad to not need a punch/hammer or a 2-piece stop pin.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimfiresports.com - Mk IV trigger kit - $119.00 - free shipping.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:34 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Rimfiresports.com - Mk IV trigger kit - $119.00 - free shipping.
Thanks, for the tip, I found them on sale at Midway for $114 and free shipping over$49 so I ordered one this morning.

They did tack on an extra $9!

I am not a fan of this new internet tax monkey business.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not either but we are stuck with it.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:30 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, but honestly, internet shopping has opened up so many new opportunities that overall it's still a win.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:56 PM
heavybarrel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have Mark IIs but am happy with them. The triggers are good and if needed you can use a diamond stone to grind down the hammer for less sear engagement. As for taking the barrrelled receiver off, I whack it against a towel on my workbench top, and put moly camshaft lube on the bearing surfaces to make it easier next time. I seldom need to separate the receiver from the frame--only if too much powder residue accumulates. Otherwise, just remove the bolt to clean from the breech.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Omega-Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As they say, "there is butt for every seat", so, would never condemn a person's choice of Ruger Mk ??.

For me however, there is only the MKII, to the point it's getting ridiculous, every time a clean target or competition model is available for cheap, it gets bought. Sure, I lie to myself that it is to outfit the youngsters across both sides of the family.....nonsense.....it's the disease.

Am even stacking up the 10" Silhouette versions in both blue and stainless. It's a disease I tell ya !

Apparently, that is the seat my ol' rear-end fits in.

Good luck on finding your Zen.

Omega