Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:33 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
OK. It appears that the adjustable cheekpiece was available as an extra cost factory option on the Walther KKJ sporting rifles.
Oh, wow, that's fascinating! And yes, the cheekpiece on mine is spring-loaded.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Interesting.
I did think the workmanship looked too good for aftermarket.
I just didn't think that an adjustable cheek piece would be a feature found on a KKJ repeater with a tangent sight. Possibly the single shot version and/or rear match sight version.
In any case, now that you've confirmed its originality, its value is better.
Nice score on that and the two take downs.(I suspect that the two holes in the barrel of the FN were added for that Browning base)
I should be visiting those Pa auctions! All three are unique and appear to be in nice shape.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
OK. It appears that the adjustable cheekpiece was available as an extra cost factory option on the Walther KKJ sporting rifles.

FWIW, here are a few photos from a Walther Sales brochure that I've scanned. It shows this spring adjustable cheekpiece on a KKJ-Ma (.22 magnum):

The image above includes information that when this literature was current, the KKJ was available chambered in 5.6 x 35 "Vierling". It seems this is similar to but not the same as the .22 Hornet, for which apparently the KKJ was also chambered, perhaps at a later time and superseding the Vierling cartridge.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:20 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very, very nice find! I do hope you rushed out and bought a lottery ticket immediately afterward.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:07 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimouse View Post
Very, very nice find! I do hope you rushed out and bought a lottery ticket immediately afterward.
Dang, why didn't I think of that?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
I don't see any import marks nor do I see a two-digit year code. Could they be hidden under the stock? I've been reluctant to remove the stock because of the funky safety.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave,

the two digit code was applied by the Ulmer proofhouse, supposedly from 1962 on. The safety is mounted in the stock and comes off with it, it works on the trigger while the wing safety ( which can be retrofitted to an earlier KKJ bolt ) locks the firing pin in the safety.

The Vierling chambering was popular in the mid to late fifties and was also available from Anschutz. I have a verified existence of a 2/55 Anschutz in 5,6x35 V.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:28 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
the two digit code was applied by the Ulmer proofhouse, supposedly from 1962 on. The safety is mounted in the stock and comes off with it, it works on the trigger while the wing safety ( which can be retrofitted to an earlier KKJ bolt ) locks the firing pin in the safety.
Many thanks!
Dave
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice find. I am curious about that AR7. I gave mine to my son who still has it. It is also an original Armalite. I did not think about it being collectible.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Very nice find. I am curious about that AR7. I gave mine to my son who still has it. It is also an original Armalite. I did not think about it being collectible.
To beat the thread drift issue, I've moved any conversation about the AR7 here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1181467

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 10:07 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
Nice one Dave.

New year, new rifle, whats not to like.

Let us know it shoots.

Giz
Well, yes ...

Two notes:

- It didn't like Eley Match as much, possibly because it had a bit of trouble feeding the flat nosed EPS bullet.

- The scope was my "traveling" Leupold 8-20x, which was a bit awkward to install because of the need to clear the barrel mounted tangent sight. The result was having the scope installed much farther forward than my eyes would like.

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
She is a keeper Dave.

Enjoy.

Giz