Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:11 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
What Ammo?

What ammo do you all find working best in a Suhl? I just picked up another one, but it has been about 10 years since I had my last one. I tried some SK Standard Plus in it the other day and it seemed to show some promise.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:13 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley Match, SK Pistol Match and any good Lapua.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:17 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found that the one I owned was like most guns, it tended to shoot better with better ammo including Match, Tenex, and Midas +. I also found that if I came up with a good lot tested batch of ammo, it tended to shoot well in most all my accurate guns including the Suhl.

Applying the old cliche here, each gun tends to have it's own preferences (within reason) and only testing will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 08:21 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I found that the one I owned was like most guns, it tended to shoot better with better ammo including Match, Tenex, and Midas +. I also found that if I came up with a good lot tested batch of ammo, it tended to shoot well in most all my accurate guns including the Suhl.

Applying the old cliche here, each gun tends to have it's own preferences (within reason) and only testing will tell.
It is nice to have a starting point though...........On hand I have Tenex Match EPS, SK Standard Rifle Match, Wolf Match Extra, several types of RWS, Eley Club, Lapua and several other brands. Was trying to narrow down the candidates.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:21 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It sort of depends on how much you are willing to spend on ammo. If you are looking for accuracy from modest priced ammo, then test that ammo range. If you want to see what your gun can do with premium ammo, then test that type of ammo. I'm always aiming for the best accuracy possible, so when I'm serious about the accuracy and I am familiar with the gun enough to know it can take advantage of the premium stuff, then that is what I test in it. For serious shooting I prefer stuff in the Eley Match/Tenex range or in the Midas + range. But I always keep in mind that a good lot of Match can shoot circles around a poor lot of Tenex; same is true of a good lot of SK Standard vs Rifle Match.

So, my starting point would be dictated by what accuracy standard I was looking for and how much I was willing to spend on ammo to achieve it. As a general rule, the more expensive stuff shoots better because it has better quality control during manufacture and hence less velocity spread.

But, I'm not claiming to be an expert....this is just the way I do things.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:32 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
It sort of depends on how much you are willing to spend on ammo. If you are looking for accuracy from modest priced ammo, then test that ammo range. If you want to see what your gun can do with premium ammo, then test that type of ammo. I'm always aiming for the best accuracy possible, so when I'm serious about the accuracy and I am familiar with the gun enough to know it can take advantage of the premium stuff, then that is what I test in it. For serious shooting I prefer stuff in the Eley Match/Tenex range or in the Midas + range. But I always keep in mind that a good lot of Match can shoot circles around a poor lot of Tenex; same is true of a good lot of SK Standard vs Rifle Match.

So, my starting point would be dictated by what accuracy standard I was looking for and how much I was willing to spend on ammo to achieve it. As a general rule, the more expensive stuff shoots better because it has better quality control during manufacture and hence less velocity spread.

But, I'm not claiming to be an expert....this is just the way I do things.

Plan on taking it to the range tomorrow with a couple of boxes of the different ammos that I have. So will see............
Old 02-09-2020, 03:15 PM
MartyH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have 2 Suhl 150s and I have not found them tremendously picky. Any of the mid level and above Eley, SK and Lapua reward me with nice groups. The groups tighten and the fliers get smaller the more I spend.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:26 PM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
any lapua or better eley does well. just like anything else. certain lots can be winners.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Eagleye

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Suhl 150, prepped by Jim Williams, positively dotes on a certain lot of ELEY Match EPS.

It shoots most high end ammo extremely well, but this lot really shines.
At 50M, if I cannot stay in the .2's or less, it is my fault.

Dave.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:54 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I asked the question originally, but did not shoot it enough to pin down what ammo shot best. To many toys in the stable............ Now it looks as if it will be a while before I get a chance to shoot it again. Thanks for those that replied.

AJ