L frame cylinder - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
L frame cylinder

I noticed on my 586 that the cylinder has movement when the hammer is back. I think the lock is not up enough in the notches. Any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How much? Any factory revolver that is not a Freedom Arms should have some slack in it.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When I check out a used revolver I check lockup when the trigger is pulled completely and hammer being released.

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 12-30-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If in question take it to a gunsmith. I have two well used smith 32s and both are loose enough to get my attention...but function as new, are accurate and don't shave lead.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:43 PM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unless it is really sloppy, it is pretty normal on that model. That is why Smith puts a forcing cone in the barrel. The cylinder is centered automatically as the bullet leaves the cylinder throat and enters the barrel.
It can be tuned out, but the only time I will do it involves guaranteeing perfect cylinder alignment with each of the 6 cylinders. Since it is almost unheard of, I usually will set it up for near perfect alignment with 5 out of 6 chambers, and mark the one that is out most.
To be honest, you are better off to leave it alone and let the forcing cone do it’s job.

Last edited by Highmiles; 12-30-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:27 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
When I check out a used revolver I check lockup when the trigger is pulled completely and hammer being released.
try it this way.

if you are not sure, take it to your fav smith and see what he/shes says.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check it with the trigger pulled. If it shoots ok and does not spit, don't worry about it.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:54 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
What I learned from working with a gunsmith, is to check lock up only when the hammer is back. Pulling the trigger does not move the cylinder or center it. It just keeps it from moving once you start the trigger pull. A good revolver like that can be brought back to a good tight lock up again. Take it to a QUALIFIED gunsmith to get it tightened up. There should be no movement AT ALL when the hammer is fully back. If it is too loose, you can get oversized cylinder stops, which is the piece the rises up out of the bottom of the frame and into the slot in the cylinder. Either your stop, or the slots in the cylinder are worn from normal use. Power Custom used to make the oversized cylinder stops.