Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
Hunter with Target Grips

Has anyone compared the Hunterís target grip model with the Competition? Any comments on the different sights? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:35 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Greetings Jerry. I sent you a somewhat lengthy reply via PM. Essentially, I found the Competition's Target-style laminate wood panels to be beautiful and in my hands, created a great grip that should contribute to some good range time! I found the Hunter's grip design (at least on the model I handled at the LGS) a wee bit "bulky" in my hands. I also found the Competition's "look" more visually appealing aesthetics-wise--IMO. I do see why others like the Hunter tho. Clearly, its also a great looking pistol. But for me, I chose the MkIV Competition for looks, balance, grip and ease of take down. I also found that I preferred the Competition's sights to the Hunter. Again, I see why others like the Hunter's front sight...but I simply liked the "look" of the black blade more so than the red fiber. I'm a little Old School Jerry--that may be a contributing factor, but for me--the Competition was the clear choice for my style of shooting and the intangible pride of ownership factors.

Bob
Old 12-29-2019, 04:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
Thank you Bob. I am going to order the competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 09:56 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes the Hunters Target grips are way to bulky for me also. I Love the Competition style Target Grips. I bought a pair of the Competition Style for my Hunter model and my 10" Target model.

You will like that Competition model, great shooters.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I actually like hogue thumb rest grips best and the hunter is a little light and you can change rear sight blade out for not much
Old 12-30-2019, 10:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Has anyone compared the Hunterís target grip model with the Competition? Any comments on the different sights? Thanks.
JP,

I have owned the MkII Competition Slab Sided w/right hand thumb rest (similar to the MkIV Comp grip), and the MkIV w/target grip. I love the looks of the Hunter's target grip (40160), but the fit in my hands is not very ergonomic and comfortable. I really miss that thumb rest with a front heavy muzzle (a feature that the Hunter and Comp have in common), find the finger grooves too ill defined and even for my large hands, feel the grip girth a little too "fat"!

Soooo, I decided to try a grip that has it all...thumb rest, deep finger grooves, heal rest and head rest! While not for everyone (in looks, fit and $$), for My hand held target accuracy, the VQ laminated grips fit and balance the Hunter perfectly, greatly assist controlling muzzle weight and rise and allow a much steadier POA hold!

IMHO with the Hunter and Comp, I'd want -At a Minimum- a good thumb rest grip. To me, this one feature in a grip is paramount to balancing out an overall hand hold for accuracy and control!

Ted
Old 12-30-2019, 11:30 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Theo98,
I have always wondered about the VQ grips. I never invested in them because with my smaller hands I could never find the LOP. I wish companies and people in general would list the LOP on hand gun grips like they do on rifles.

I've always liked those grips, but figured for me I would be throwing my money away.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 AM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Turtle, that's a great looking pistol. Its really interesting how we, as individuals, have different preferences. I really like the Competition's OEM grips, but equally happy that you like your Hogue.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:40 AM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jerry, just back in from my range with the MK IV Competition's first shots. Wow, I like it. I'm confident you will as well. Flawless out of the box. Tweaked the rear sight a smidge. Ease of takedown is especially noteworthy. I have two MKIIs and have learned how to field strip--but this MKIV system is VERY convenient. Let us know when you get your pistol.

Bob
Old 12-30-2019, 12:37 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is funny how we all have our own preferences on barrel length and profile, grips of either rubber or wood, thumbrest or not, and Ruger does seem to cover all of the bases pretty well.

For me, I have always liked the round heavy bbl such as the 5.5 in target and the 6 7/8 inch Government models. I also like the Ruger checkered wood grips with the thumbrest. Like USCGret, I still have my MKII pistols, and I have become so familiar with the take down process that it isn't really much of an issue for me. Having said that, I do really appreciate how simple and easy it is to take down my Smith & Wesson model 41 for cleaning.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:51 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Mark IV is even easier than the Model 41 S&W
Old 12-30-2019, 01:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
Thanks Bob. I should have it by end of the week.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:10 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Thanks Bob. I should have it by end of the week.
Super. I'm sure you will love it. I am very happy with the trigger on mine as it came from Ruger. I'm sure it could be improved upon but I'm just a casual shooter not a competitor, so I'll leave as-is for now.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
Bob
Good news on the trigger.
Thanks
Jerry
Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Theo98,
I have always wondered about the VQ grips. I never invested in them because with my smaller hands I could never find the LOP. I wish companies and people in general would list the LOP on hand gun grips like they do on rifles.

I've always liked those grips, but figured for me I would be throwing my money away.
Jeff,

IMO, LOP would be a combination of individual hand size and finger length vs/grip thickness...too many variables to accurately portray in a pistol. Then with an accurizing trigger install, that all changes depending on amount of pre-travel removed.

However you are right (and wise)...I've wasted $$$ getting the Hunter with the "pretty" (but useless) Target Grips!

Ted