Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:24 AM
triplebike
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hammer/Sear Kit install advice Ruger/22/45/MKIV

Hi all, just purchased the above from Brownell's. Going to try to install myself, but nervous because 1st time and I'm all thumbs. Any advise or comments/tips regarding an install would be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased new a 22/45 lite and 22/45 target. The Lite's stock trigger is quite good, but the target trigger is not nearly as nice. I'm hoping that the kit above will bring the target trigger to the same level as my Lite. I shoot just for fun and am not looking for a competition gun. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:24 AM
MarkS20

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finding a video and watching it a few times has helped me on similar installs.

Mark
Old 12-27-2019, 10:29 AM
Radman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
YouTube University my friend, should be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 03:35 PM
center_shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Assuming Volquartsen VC4HSK Just did mine. Only problem I had was I did not understand that the small spring attached to the Mag release was extra parts. Getting the pin back in is a bugger but if you follow the directions on the website and use a punch to line up from the opposite side it goes pretty smooth. Took about 30 minutes, could do it again in 5-10. Well worth the effort. Went from 5+ # to just a tad over 3#.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:30 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by center_shot View Post
Assuming Volquartsen VC4HSK Just did mine. Only problem I had was I did not understand that the small spring attached to the Mag release was extra parts. Getting the pin back in is a bugger but if you follow the directions on the website and use a punch to line up from the opposite side it goes pretty smooth. Took about 30 minutes, could do it again in 5-10. Well worth the effort. Went from 5+ # to just a tad over 3#.
It is the VC4HSK. Thanks for the very encouraging reply and tips. If I get anywhere near your results I'll be more than satisfied. One other question, my current trigger is a bit grainy. Did you notice any improvement there?
Old 12-28-2019, 11:24 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
One other question, my current trigger is a bit grainy.
Could this be described as "gritty"?

There may be unburned powder and other trash in the trigger return spring and the hole in the top of the trigger where it rides.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
It is the VC4HSK. Thanks for the very encouraging reply and tips. If I get anywhere near your results I'll be more than satisfied. One other question, my current trigger is a bit grainy. Did you notice any improvement there?
TB,

The VQ highly polished sear maintains the correct angle profile. With just the installed VQ Sear+Spring, you should notice a reduction in the graininess and the effort/pull weight of the trigger!!

IMO, I would try this drop-in setup (just sear+spring) before swapping out the hammers, you may like it just fine. Then swap out the hammers and see what benefits (if any) the VQ offers!

HERE's a nice detailed Dis/Re Assembly of the MkIV, and HERE's is the VQ "quick reference" guide for their kit install!

Ted
Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Excellent Thanks Ted! I think I'm going to install the hammer as well, since it's included in the kit I purchased. Also since the hammer assembly has to be removed to get to the sear I might as well just replace it. The videos are excellent and greatly appreciated. I'll update this thread with how the install went and benefits gained.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Mklluser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger job

Watch video and number the steps 1 2 3 and I used a paper plate with the parts outlined on the paper plate with their respective number. I also have a paper plate for the old parts to keep them separate. Use punches liberally keeping the holes lined up since you do not have 3 hands. Go slow and pay attention even pausing the video for each step. I have to have plenty of time and quiet privacy for the first time. If you watch the video multiple times and pay attention before you start you will be fine. The paper plates were helpful in that it helped me organize. There needs to be some method to the madness. Field strip and note the parts to be replaced. Clear your work area and take your time.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't say enough about watching youtube tutorial videos several times before you begin, and then make sure you have an allotment of time where you will not be interrupted and can focus totally on the project at hand.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:25 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Can't say enough about watching youtube tutorial videos several times before you begin, and then make sure you have an allotment of time where you will not be interrupted and can focus totally on the project at hand.
Good advice as I have been watching them multiple times. I'm also going to have my 25 yr old son with me, gonna make it a little father son project and it's surly doesn't hurt to have a pair of 25 yrs old eyes (LOL). Being retired I have plenty of time so that won't be a problem. Between the videos, my sons help and the fact that I also have a stock 22/45 lite MKIV which I can also refer to I don't anticipate any major issues. I will post once completed and let everyone know how it went. Parts are expected next week.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I tear down a gun for detail cleaning, I like to set the parts on a foam "egg carton" matt. It doesn't slide around on the table, and the parts don't roll around. Simply put each part in the next dimple as they come out and reverse the order for reassembly.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 PM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
UPDATE!!

Hi all, installed hammer and sear , put all back together and no trigger! I have done this install 3 times now with the thin spacer , with the thick spacer & with no spacers.
when everything is installed properly with the upper off I get a very nice trigger pull as long as I slightly push and hold the trigger bar slightly towards the hammer the trigger engages. If I leave the trigger bar alone the trigger does not engage. I've read that these kits came with a small black spacer that went between the frame and the sear spring. None of the pictures of the kit show a small black spacer but I can see how that might work since it would push the sear closer to the trigger bar. But needless to say I can't understand why I can't get this done, very frustrated. I have everything uninstalled at this point and will call Voltquartsen tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hi all, installed hammer and sear , put all back together and no trigger! I have done this install 3 times now with the thin spacer , with the thick spacer & with no spacers.
when everything is installed properly with the upper off I get a very nice trigger pull as long as I slightly push and hold the trigger bar slightly towards the hammer the trigger engages. If I leave the trigger bar alone the trigger does not engage. I've read that these kits came with a small black spacer that went between the frame and the sear spring. None of the pictures of the kit show a small black spacer but I can see how that might work since it would push the sear closer to the trigger bar. But needless to say I can't understand why I can't get this done, very frustrated. I have everything uninstalled at this point and will call Voltquartsen tomorrow.
TB,

Did you install the VQ Disconnector (trigger bar) and supplied VQ hammer bushing, along with the VQ Sear and Trigger?

When releasing the pulled trigger, does the disconnector "pop-up" indicating a reset, ready for the next trigger pull? If not, you possibly have the trigger's pre-travel screw set too close...may need to back off on this PT screw for a consistent disconnector reset.

However, if the trigger over-travel screw is set too close and a cocked gun won't go "Bang", then you'll need to back off on the OT screw so it has more range to pull on the sear, releasing the hammer...Check this VQ video details!

Ted
Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ted, I just replaced the stock hammer, hammer bushing, sear & sear spring with the Volquartsen hammer and sear kit (VC4HSK). Everything else is stock. I spoke to Volquartsen this morning and they said that there should have been a small black washer in the kit (there wasn't) that is placed between the sear spring and the sear. Volquartsen says that is probably the problem. They are sending me one today. It makes sense since the washer will move the sear ever so slightly to the right allowing the trigger bar to engage the sear. If this solves the problem I can't understand why this needed part isn't included in the kit.

From Volquartsen's website,
22/45 users only: there is a small, black spacer included in the kit. This spacer is to be installed between the spring and sear. It is not pictured here.

Last edited by triplebike; 01-06-2020 at 09:59 AM.