Scope recommendation for rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Rstreib
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scope recommendation for rifle

What scope do you recommend for a bolt action rifle? I understand that most .22 scopes' parallax is set at 50 yds. Does that indicate I need a scope with AO?
I don't want to spend hundreds on a scope for $200 rifle.

I shoot mostly distances less than 50 yds at an indoor range and to a lesser extent around the house plinking and informal target practice. The county I live has laws about shooting within 1000 ft of another person's residence and my county is becoming so subdivision-dense that safe and lawful backyard shooting is fading fast.

All recommendations valued.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:21 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is fine. https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Trupl...s%2C375&sr=8-6

If you need ao this https://www.amazon.com/CVLIFE-3-9x40...672381&sr=8-43
Old 12-29-2019, 09:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For plinking you can get by with a fixed parallax 50yd scope. We did without AO for decades on 22 rifles. Think of all the cans killed by 4x15 and 4x20 scopes. A cheap Simmons rimfire will be much brighter and sharper than those were and only cost $20-40. There are better scopes for target and competition use but it sounds like you just want something that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 PM
rolltide

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For what you're describing, the Mueller scopes work quite well.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:17 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple of the Simmonds .22 mag scopes. For a hunting or plinking rifle they are very good. Had them for years. They wouldn't be the best for serious target shooting I don't believe. Good, robust, clear, and not expensive.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Fredvon4
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Facebook ads caused me to buy into several of the stupid cheap multi combo scope/optic/laser offerings for under 110 bucks....

SFT2 Tactical [[email protected]]

4-12X50 Rifle Scope with Red or Green Laser Sight and 4 Mode Holographic Reflex Sight 1

I opted for the green laser
The multi reticle reflex sites are very good, I especially like the blue reticle
The 4 x 12 is sharp n clear ---and so far after year and 450 rds later still sits on my 10/22 with no loss of zero or clarity

I used to be a high end scope snob...retired fixed income I took a dare...mildly impressed....not a 300 or beyond shooter anymore.....mostly no place to shoot long
Old 12-31-2019, 02:49 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Never had real good luck with Simmons, much prefer Mueller, seem to hold up good for the price. By all means buy an AO scope if you shoot at varying distances.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:12 PM
RMoran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I don't think the rifle action or cost should play a big role in scope choice.

On a lower power scope, AO won't be as important, but my Weaver 2-7 is a little fuzzy at 25 on 7X.

A fixed 4X or lower power 2-7x "rimfire" scope will probably be fine for you. You just need to decide how much you want to spend, and specific shooting style.
Sounds like you aren't going to be dialing a lot, or serious target work, alot of time in the field or in limited visibility, etc.

Weaver/Leupold/Vortex/Nikon rimfire in 4x or 2-7x will be fine. If those are too much money, BSA/Hawke/Simmons/Mueller/Vortex Crossfire....are all probably about the same
Old 12-31-2019, 05:59 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Take a look at the Burris Drop Tine 2x7 with a 22 plex recticle. Around $140. Excellent opotics
and when sighted in at 50 yds your can shoot out to 125 yds by using the dots in the plex recticle.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:07 AM
wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
How about a $140 Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x with side focus to 20 yds, lifetime warranty, made in Philippines.. just come with some cosmetic blemish.

Disclaimer: this is my scope that I am selling :-)

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=246169

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Rstreib...my suggestion is to go down to your local big box store...Sportsmans, Cabelas, BassPro shop or Scheels and see what they have that you can play with...buying never heard before brands are not really the best way to go...if you have a problem where are you going to send the scope too...China...it those cases it cheaper to throw them away and start over and as you need more magnification and you look for more expensive scopes. Once you find what your looking for shop around on Amazon, Ebay, Natchez, Midway...etc...where ever you can get the best price for what your looking for.

The most important thing I would suggest is to go down and find a reticle that works for you...NOT one you have to make work...there are plenty of reticles out there...I have had some that were so thin that they would disappear on certain back grounds and others so thick they were better for big game hunting.

Here are a few that I own which will give you an idea of what it out there:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=516808

now as far as a Adjustable Objective goes anything above a 3-9x you should get one and most 4-12 and above do come that way...its the 3-9x where they start and they are great to have as you get older and your eye sight changes...I will not buy a scope without either a side focus or A/O on it but I am old and need all the help I can get. The thing is your new scope will last you 20 years if you get a good brand and in those 20 years a lot can change. So if you can afford it when you need a better scope make sure they have a SF or A/O.

Just to start with the guys are correct the cheapest scopes around are either 4x or a 3-9x which are the most popular. The is no short cut in glass you get what you pay for...buying a $38 dollar scope is just that a $38 dollar scope...how good do you think the glass is in that scope?? buy a name brand and some thing you know of Nikon, Weaver, Burris, Leupold...etc something with a warranty. In five years from now if there is a problem you can send it in....but chances are you won't need to most quality scopes will serve you for a very long time.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Rstreib

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks all for the recommendations. I appreciate the knowledge and experience of others.
A bit more about my situation: 72 years old. Aging eyes. Progressive lens bifocal glasses.

I have done a good bit of looking around and have narrowed my choices (dictated by budget) to one one of the following.

1, Mueller APV 2-7x32 AO

2. Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO Mil Dot

3. Hawke Vantage 4x32 AO Mil Dot

Any thoughts on these choices? Will be going on a Marlin 881.
Also recommendations on rings appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Meuller APV 2-7x32 AO scope. No issues with it, but it does have slightly thicker crosshairs then my Weaver & Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scopes. The Meuller crosshairs aren't bad, just a little bit thicker. It is a good scope for that price range.

I don't have either of the Hawke scopes you mentioned but I do have a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO with the 30/30 duplex reticle. It is also a perfectly functional scope in that price range, and I've had no issues with it either. I think the Hawke 2-7x32 AO scope and the Meuller 2-7x32 AO scope are a toss up, just depends on whether you like the duplex reticle or the mil-dot reticle. For the slight difference in price to gain more power and AO capability, you should forget the 4x32 scope and go with one of the 2-7x32 scopes.

I think any standard rimfire dovetail ring would work. I don't have a Marlin 881, and I have no idea which rings I used on my Marlin 25N, it was so long ago that I put a scope on it. My Marlin XT22M has Weaver #12 bases and Weaver Sure Grip #49144 High rings, and my Marlin 60s both have Traditions A797DS Medium rings on them.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
sir your 881 has a 3/8" groove and I don't think it is drilled and taped for scope bases...any weaver style scope rings will work that are designed for the groove...just a word of warning not all rings are the same height some mediums are other brands High rings. if it is drilled and taped then Weaver #12 scope bases will work and you can choose any standard ring your heart desires. Just make sure you have enough clearance for the rear sights. With a 2-7x scope you should not have any bolt clearance problems depending on how large the Ocular of the scope is...be careful scope Oculars are getting huge these days.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 01-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2x7 or 4 x scopes are great for hunting, but for plinking and targets , especially with old eyes and bifocals, more x means more fun at least for me
I like to see the hole in the paper thru my scope. Now if your shooting things, like cans etc , the 4x or 7 x is fine, cause they jump when you hit them.