A Tale of Two Coopers: Another Embarrassment of Riches - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)

All:
I knew I could count on my RFC brethren to bring clarity to this “dilemma.” Vert's timely comments, in particular, give me added perspective.

When I watch shows like American Pickers and see all those people with multiple warehouses, garages, and/or trailers full of stuff they simply bought and threw on the pile, I have hope for myself and feel better about my 20+ rifles, many of which I either built or heavily customized and shoot as often as I get a chance. The fact they are likely worth more than what I have in them, with a few exceptions, is also reassuring.

Honestly, I've always struggled internally with my enthusiasm for this hobby and my deep convictions about avoiding materialism, likely the basis of my "embarrassment of riches" description. I could quote book and verse about the evils of putting mammon before God…as in “…for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Yet, when I look back at all the joy I have derived from rifles, in the field, at the range, in my workshop, or even just in my mind, it’s hard for me to be too hard on myself. I think I actually maintain a pretty good balance, and it’s kind of hard to imagine where I would be emotionally without this hobby. Sorry for the ramble.

I will keep the Custom Classic and maybe bide my time on the VE. I think it’s the cased colors that have me mesmerized, like the line from Catch Me If You Can, I…“just can’t stop staring at those dang pinstripes.”

TBR
Old 06-27-2019, 01:11 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The more I look at these pictures the more I realize I would have a hard time letting go of either of these beautiful rifles. However, the VE stock just doesn't quite make it for me but I see a small opportunity, but only if you really wanted to keep it.
If you know someone who does excellent stock work, you could probably have the foreend of the VE slimmed down to sporter dimensions and shape and have the whole stock refinished. Possibly checker the fore end in a classic Cooper style like it came that way from the factory. That wood is just too gorgeous to let it get away easily- or inexpensively unless you just have no other choice, IMO..... I'd be breaking out the planes, scrapers, rasps, sandpaper, etc... and having a go at it... but that is just me....
And change out the pad for a Pachmayr 500B or something similar...

Bob
Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
The more I look at these pictures the more I realize I would have a hard time letting go of either of these beautiful rifles. However, the VE stock just doesn't quite make it for me but I see a small opportunity, but only if you really wanted to keep it.
If you know someone who does excellent stock work, you could probably have the foreend of the VE slimmed down to sporter dimensions and shape and have the whole stock refinished. Possibly checker the fore end in a classic Cooper style like it came that way from the factory. That wood is just too gorgeous to let it get away easily- or inexpensively unless you just have no other choice, IMO..... I'd be breaking out the planes, scrapers, rasps, sandpaper, etc... and having a go at it... but that is just me....
And change out the pad for a Pachmayr 500B or something similar...

Bob
Thanks Bob. If I were going to keep and shoot the VE, I might do just that, but leaving it completely original will be a plus when I do go to sell it, whenever that may be. I would actually love to turn the barrel down, or rebarrel it to .22 Hornet, restock the VE in English, and have my cake and eat it too. Alas, giving up the embellishment that is there would be foolish, so this one's going in the safe for awhile.

TBR
Old 06-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
All:
I knew I could count on my RFC brethren to bring clarity to this “dilemma.” Vert's timely comments, in particular, give me added perspective.

When I watch shows like American Pickers and see all those people with multiple warehouses, garages, and/or trailers full of stuff they simply bought and threw on the pile, I have hope for myself and feel better about my 20+ rifles, many of which I either built or heavily customized and shoot as often as I get a chance. The fact they are likely worth more than what I have in them, with a few exceptions, is also reassuring.

Honestly, I've always struggled internally with my enthusiasm for this hobby and my deep convictions about avoiding materialism, likely the basis of my "embarrassment of riches" description. I could quote book and verse about the evils of putting mammon before God…as in “…for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Yet, when I look back at all the joy I have derived from rifles, in the field, at the range, in my workshop, or even just in my mind, it’s hard for me to be too hard on myself. I think I actually maintain a pretty good balance, and it’s kind of hard to imagine where I would be emotionally without this hobby. Sorry for the ramble.

I will keep the Custom Classic and maybe bide my time on the VE. I think it’s the cased colors that have me mesmerized, like the line from Catch Me If You Can, I…“just can’t stop staring at those dang pinstripes.”

TBR
I think that I took the full ride with the hobby.Bought anything that I wanted,did 10 with Leroy.Indulged myself like I have rarely done with anything else. Probably had 100 guns go through my hands in the last 50 years,perhaps 97 of them very nice ones, and had a max of 56 in a refined collection at one time. I now own just 3,and I'm fine with that.One LeRoy, one Smith Model 41, and my childhood SA-22. I not only lost interest in shooting,(part of that is less interest in driving(age related?)less interest in dealing with dangerous idiots at the range ,and my range choices are all distant) but selling them helped me out of pinch,that fortunately, I am no longer in. Well heeled again, I have no plans to add any. I can't say that it was shooting related, but after getting tinnitus a few years back, that dampened my interest in shooting as well. No kids to leave the stuff to.Even if I did, I would saddle anyone with stuff that wasn't their interest. I've done a general downsizing of "stuff" and I must say that I do feel lighter and less encumbered.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
So, it's been close to two months, TBR, and I am curious as to what decision you may have made regarding keeping/selling either or both of those two beauties? I'm sure hoping you're keeping that Custom Classic in English Walnut. If I had one like that, it would never leave my grubby hands!

Doug
Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Hardly seems like two months, but I guess it has been that long.

I still have both and have made no decision, other than to keep both for the time being. I've tried to step back and separate myself from constantly thinking about it and was actually able to do so successfully while I was traveling overseas. When I finally revisited the issue in my fresher mind, the answer was not there, other than the realization that I already own, and am in the process of creating, many very nice rifles, some nicer even than these Coopers. That perspective also helps me understand life is quite good even without the two Coopers, and I should stop focusing on only these two rifles.

One final thought. I usually do not own NIB rifles. I prefer nice condition, shoot-able rifles, and they tend to be the ones that stay in the herd, while the pretty trailer queens remain preserved and usually go down the road. Both rifles have the potential to remain trailer queens...

Thanks for asking.

TBR
Old 08-16-2019, 01:00 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
I think that I took the full ride with the hobby.Bought anything that I wanted,did 10 with Leroy.Indulged myself like I have rarely done with anything else. Probably had 100 guns go through my hands in the last 50 years,perhaps 97 of them very nice ones, and had a max of 56 in a refined collection at one time. I now own just 3,and I'm fine with that.One LeRoy, one Smith Model 41, and my childhood SA-22. I not only lost interest in shooting,(part of that is less interest in driving(age related?)less interest in dealing with dangerous idiots at the range ,and my range choices are all distant) but selling them helped me out of pinch,that fortunately, I am no longer in. Well heeled again, I have no plans to add any. I can't say that it was shooting related, but after getting tinnitus a few years back, that dampened my interest in shooting as well. No kids to leave the stuff to.Even if I did, I would saddle anyone with stuff that wasn't their interest. I've done a general downsizing of "stuff" and I must say that I do feel lighter and less encumbered.
WARNING: temporary thread hijack....
While whittling down your collection Cam, please know that I am grateful that a few of your overstocks landed in my safe. They are treasures. Thanks Cammy.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
WARNING: temporary thread hijack....
While whittling down your collection Cam, please know that I am grateful that a few of your overstocks landed in my safe. They are treasures. Thanks Cammy.
Me, too! Two dandies in my safe.

Doug
Old 08-16-2019, 09:49 AM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
TBR; It appears as you like to shoot your guns. I like shooters myself. Having a gun that sets in safe because it's too nice to shoot/hunt with doesn't exist in my safe. Having a gun that will be extremely devalued by shooting it would be down the road to someone that wants to collect art work. Both would find a owner of those characteristics. Simply because they are unfired works of art. If they had been used then I would keep both. As a preference to use guns I like the 17A, 17HH and 22khornet over 22hornet(which I would k right away). Just me. Accuracy holds high value and the ability to do what it was intended for. At this point I guess your coopers are intended to be looked at, AND they excel at it. Good luck Brother. PS the 30 mm rings are right on a varmint gun that deserves the best scope available(read shooter) 1" rings for looks (read safe queen).

Last edited by thesandman; 08-16-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:29 PM
joet333

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
TBR - The pain of letting one go and regretting it afterwards outweighs the dilemma of keeping both.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I prefer nice condition, shoot-able rifles, and they tend to be the ones that stay in the herd, while the pretty trailer queens remain preserved and usually go down the road. Both rifles have the potential to remain trailer queens...

Thanks for asking.

TBR
Pick one and go kill something with it. Easy cheesy, dilemma solved. You're welcome.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I'd keep the case colored one. Absolutely stunning!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:41 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did ya pick one?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Still mulling it over, so no change. Thanks for asking, though. I’m actually to the point I just consider them money in the bank drawing interest.
TBR
Old 01-16-2020, 07:34 AM
Kahuna

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Still mulling it over, so no change. Thanks for asking, though. I’m actually to the point I just consider them money in the bank drawing interest.
TBR
This would be the route I would take!