am I wasting my time -- accuracy with takedown - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
Anyone who isn't able to get consistent accuracy out of theirs should take a methodical approach (ammo, stock, scope, trigger, bipod/bag, weather variables, etc.) to determine why.easy to blame the tool, but there's almost always a solution. Now, if you've strapped it into something like a Lead Sled, and it's not shooting well, that's another story.
I have over a dozen 10/22's (3 of which are TD's) that are all custom built. Every single one of them has a target barrel. I've also built several dozen for others. I've yet to find one that I can't make shoot 1/2" or better @50 yards. Obviously with the exception of the TD's which IME are 1" @50 yard rifles with a good barrel and trigger. That's plenty accurate for hunting and plinking, but it's not benchrest accuracy. I realize most people would be thrilled with 1" groups out of their 10/22, and that's fine. If I can only get 1" groups out of a 10/22 I do whatever I can to make it shoot better. IME with several TD's it doesn't matter what you do. I can get them to shoot good and I can get some great groups, but it will never be a consistent 1/2" rifle. Your not going to see anyone building a 10/22 for BR competition starting with a TD receiver. There's a reason for that. As I said before the TD is a great at doing what it was designed to do. And if you have a TD and are happy with it's accuracy that is great. I have nothing against them, I'm just being realistic.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is it that fundamentally makes them less accurate than a non TD 1022 ?
Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 PM
rwphilli

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The scope being mounted on the receiver and not the barrel is the biggest accuracy issue in my opinion. The early Browning takedown rifles were the same way and had accuracy issues. After they moved the scope mounting location to the barrel, the accuracy greatly improved.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:43 AM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You're only wasting your time if you are not enjoying what you're doing.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:08 AM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I have over a dozen 10/22's (3 of which are TD's) that are all custom built. Every single one of them has a target barrel. I've also built several dozen for others. I've yet to find one that I can't make shoot 1/2" or better @50 yards. Obviously with the exception of the TD's which IME are 1" @50 yard rifles with a good barrel and trigger. That's plenty accurate for hunting and plinking, but it's not benchrest accuracy. I realize most people would be thrilled with 1" groups out of their 10/22, and that's fine. If I can only get 1" groups out of a 10/22 I do whatever I can to make it shoot better. IME with several TD's it doesn't matter what you do. I can get them to shoot good and I can get some great groups, but it will never be a consistent 1/2" rifle. Your not going to see anyone building a 10/22 for BR competition starting with a TD receiver. There's a reason for that. As I said before the TD is a great at doing what it was designed to do. And if you have a TD and are happy with it's accuracy that is great. I have nothing against them, I'm just being realistic.
Challenge accepted!

My Charger TD has the scope mounted on the barrel, but I haven't decided which barrel to get for my new one. A Timney trigger arrives today, which should help a bit. Now I just need for the weather to cooperate.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 AM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwphilli View Post
The scope being mounted on the receiver and not the barrel is the biggest accuracy issue in my opinion. The early Browning takedown rifles were the same way and had accuracy issues. After they moved the scope mounting location to the barrel, the accuracy greatly improved.
That should not affect accuracy. Only consistency. Your rifle has the exact same mechanical accuracy with the scope on the receiver as it does with the scope completely removed.

I really need to clamp my Takedown into a rifle vise and shoot it. Then I'll have no one to blame by my old eyes.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:09 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience with my takedown has been overall good, but I'm using it purely recreationally and as a plinker. However, I do try to improve things every time out. I suspect now I've got the barrel nicely seasoned and I'm learning more an more about the lockup. My scope is receiver mounted (Nikon Prostaff 2x7 100yd parallax). Part of my accuracy problems at close range may be the parallax, but my tests show it is marginal at worst.

I've been doing a barrel/receiver cleaning along with overspray polishing in the receiver after every range outing just getting things smoothed out. My mods so far are a Kidd 2lb trigger, Kidd extractor and Kidd guide rod and charging handle. Those changes, plus use, have given my action total reliability with Aguilar SV ammo (plus a bunch of others in small batches). I shoot a lot of spinner targets at 50yds and so bullseye accuracy isn't required, but one spinner combo are two independently spinning figure 8s, one inside another with about a 1/2" gap between the plates. I can do a quick zero by shooting the gaps/edges-of gaps right/left & top/bottom. I figure that boxes in things within about a 1/2" bull at 50. So if I have a dumbell spinner "stuck" so it's edge-on, I can start it spinning again and pick the direction.

At first when I replaced the barrel after cleaning, I'd have to tweak the cross hairs a bit to make up for the optic/barrel misalignment. Now I have settled in on setting the tightening adjustment collar on the receiver to four (4) clicks past the Ruger starting recommendation. On my gun, that's getting pretty tight. The resultant is that I'm having to make very few sight tweaks. IOW, it's holding zero. It was close before, certainly within the bottom of a soda can at 50 - perhaps half that, but now it's certainly within ammo/cross-hair variations. My scope is a Nikoplex, so it's not the target cross hairs.

Over the next few weeks, I'll start a more serious regimen on trying to quantify it's shooting performance. I'll probably start at 25yds and adjust to zero as best I can. Shoot several 5-shot bulls to test the rest of the system (including me), maybe one row of targets to see if I can bring out the parallax demon. That should be close to a range session for the "precision work". Before quitting, try another row removing/replacing the barrel for each group/target. Then home, clean, start the next week's session at 25yd for zero and then move to 50 and repeat. Unfortunately I have to change ranges for 100, but it may be that my scope crosshairs and eyesight (with that 7x mag limit) will cause me to put that off for a while.

I currently shoot off a soft bag and squeeze bag, I haven't been too careful about where the forearm is resting. Once I get a bit further down the road, that will be in my tests. I'm curious if the takedown system can handle the "stress" of a bipod.

Since I have to go out of my way for 100, it may be that this is just my club 50yd gun. That's what/why I bought it anyway. We were supposed to go for plates at 40, but too many guys had high power scopes so they opted for a different discipline. Since my starting point was a red dot and bad eyes, I opted for a low power scope when the rules changed.

This is all pretty much just like life. :-) Love it.

In edit: I'll have to say that the even an an experienced shooter, restarting my range fun with an off the shelf 10/22 takedown and this forum have recharged my interest in rimfire shooting, and taught me a whole lot more about my ability to tackle this platform, my mechanical skills, and my approach to dealing with the capabilities of this rifle. It was exactly the wrong rifle for me from the beginning - but I didn't know my club was going another direction and I didn't know my residential/travel situations was going to change. I should have sold it, but then I wouldn't be here having all this fun. Thanks for this forum, for your dedication to this craft and all the information you so patiently post.

Last edited by TDplinker; 12-31-2019 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Not done yet :0
Old 12-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I honestly am not 100% sure, but I have a few ideas. Obviously the main difference is in the design. I believe that because of the design it throws the harmonics of the barrel all over the place. I don't believe it matters wether you have a receiver or barrel mounted scope. It is what it is. I'm sure with a perfect setup in a mechanical rest someone can get it to shoot one hole groups. I can get it to shoot good groups. But "consistent" under 1/2" @50 yards no. I haven't read through the entire thread here of the 10/22 1/2" games. But I doubt there's many if any TD's in there. People are acting like I have an issue with the TD. I don't. If I did I wouldn't own 3 of them. I'll say again, I'm just being realistic about what they are capable of.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:14 PM
rwphilli

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
That should not affect accuracy. Only consistency. Your rifle has the exact same mechanical accuracy with the scope on the receiver as it does with the scope completely removed.
I disagree. Yes the biggest issue is the shifting zero when the rifle is taken down and put back together, but I believe the "slop" inherent to the two piece design will have some affect on accuracy. Yes you can adjust it with the nut, but it's still not a solid unit like a one piece rifle. It would be similar to having a barrel nut screws slightly loose on a standard 10/22 then expecting top accuracy.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I disagree. Yes the biggest issue is the shifting zero when the rifle is taken down and put back together, but I believe the "slop" inherent to the two piece design will have some affect on accuracy. Yes you can adjust it with the nut, but it's still not a solid unit like a one piece rifle. It would be similar to having a barrel nut screws slightly loose on a standard 10/22 then expecting top accuracy.
My Takedown doesn't have any of that "slop" that you're describing. It's a Charger with a .920 barrel, which could make a difference. And my rifle will have a lightweight barrel as well, which may make a difference.

On a side note, still undecided about the quality of the Brownells receiver.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I also disagree! (but agree with you)

I've owned (and sold) 5-6 including a few chargers etc. No amount of tightening or slapping the bolt etc made a bit of difference. I couldn't get one on paper at 15 feet. It had a 10" pattern... A good idea ruined by reality!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:34 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lets define accuracy as a five shot group at 50 yards. And smaller group is more accurate. I can always re zero my optic. Although on mine Iíve never had to. So the loss off poi on reassembly, if true, cause Iíve never experienced It, isn't loss of accuracy. what i want to know is why cant i get dime size groups out of mine, like i get with a non take down 1022. Is the chamber cut different? Is there two much slop between the bolt and the chamber ? Does the barrel move more?
Old 12-31-2019, 07:55 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
I couldn't get one on paper at 15 feet. It had a 10" pattern...
This level of inaccuracy indicates that something other than the takedown design is the source of your problems.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
This level of inaccuracy indicates that something other than the takedown design is the source of your problems.
Correct. Ruger replaced the rifle, I sold it.

Again I’ve owned 5-6 none have shot well at all. Adding better triggers and bolts didn’t help either. Just an observation. My point would be that, I’d hate to count on the rifle because once it was taken down, the rifle would have to be re-zeroed after assembly to be sure of accuracy.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:59 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Again, having to rezero, has nothing to do with accuracy. If the wind pushes all your shots to left , that doesnt make the gun inaccurate! It just means you have to adjust your optic, or point of aim. Just like you might have to do with the take down. I adjust my scopes every time i go to the range. So my little groups are on the bullseye.

Ps other than for wind i have not had to adjust the optics on my takesdowns. They just dont shoot moa, 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards, And id like to know why that is so i could fix that.