Thread images viewable through IE but not Chrome or Safari - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 AM
BLUElixir
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thread images viewable through IE but not Chrome or Safari

I host pictures on my own web server space and then link them to my RFC threads. The pictures load normally in Internet Explorer but not in Chrome or Safari. Chrome does not display any broken link type symbol where the images should be. Safari shows a small blank box. If you click on it you can get the picture to load in a different window. Why is this happening? Here is an example: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=307622
Old 12-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your pics don't display in FireFox either - unless I load the image address directly into the address bar.

The root of the problem is your server is not set up as a "secure" server (https).

A while back, SSL became an officially "outdated" security protocol and was succeeded by TLS. As web sites started adopting the new protocol, a number of things happened. I could no longer access on-line banking until I updated my browsers and enabled TLS. Also, some hosted photos "disappeared" from posts on secure blog servers. TinyPics (an http host) was the main host sight I noticed this happen to.

IE is notorious for not being secure. I don't know if that's why your pics display with IE, or if there is some combination of settings enabled that allows it. But the bottom line is you can't expect everyone else to change their browser settings to view your pictures. You need to encrypt your server connection.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:20 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ImageShack is $19 per year..............great for hosting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 10:25 AM
BLUElixir
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thank you TE for your information. I don't expect people to change browser settings to see my pictures. I just needed to know what was causing the issue.