Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:51 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Retired_Cop View Post
I grew up in the era when nearly everyone smoked. Never knew anyone to have died from same.
I had a great uncle that toted an oxygen bottle around his last years on earth before he died from emphysema. He got it from smoking.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:31 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't smoke. I don't care if others smoke. But what really gets under my skin is the smokers that think the world is their ash tray, and they drop their cigarette butts wherever they happen to be with they finish.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage92 View Post
I was just interested in what everyone's opinion is for smoking on here. Couldn't make a poll for whatever reason though.
I quit 25 years ago, after smoking 40+ years (I started when I was a teenager). It was a lot easier than the other 40 or 50 times I had tried to quit earlier. It's amazing what a motivator a heart attack and quadruple bypass can be!
Old 03-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Discontinued
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stop with the smoker hate!

We all know smoking is not only cool but, also incredibly manly

Women are more attracted to men that smoke fact!

This pernicious nonsense about smoking being bad for you

If he smokes it has to be cool.

After looting dead bodies on a battlefield who wouldn't want a smoke.

I gave up tobacco a few years back, well I vape these days gradually..... vaping less and less.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To be certain, there's nothing redeeming about smoking.

One person's motivation for quitting was my father's. He was a trapshooter and desperately wanted a Browning O/U. It was a $410 item back in 1965. When he realized that he was wasting/smoking the cost of a high grade shotgun every year, he went cold turkey,
Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
To be certain, there's nothing redeeming about smoking.

One person's motivation for quitting was my father's. He was a trapshooter and desperately wanted a Browning O/U. It was a $410 item back in 1965. When he realized that he was wasting/smoking the cost of a high grade shotgun every year, he went cold turkey,

When I quit a pack of Marlboro was $1.75 a pack and there was only two prices for cigarettes. Premium cigs and generic cigs.

After I quit, paying my electric bill got easier.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 03-10-2020, 12:35 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
There's a lot of posts on here and I'm not going to read through them all. I'm sure this has already been mentioned several times but vaping worked great for me. I smoked Marlboro Reds 2 packs a day for 25 years. Not only bad for me but at $11/pack it was quite expensive ($154/week). I had never tried to quit before, just figured I would be a smoker the rest of my life. I ran out of cigarettes one day and while stopping at a gas station to pick some up I noticed there was a vape store right across the street. I went in and ended up purchasing a pod system with disposable cartridges and a bottle of nic salt liquid. I haven't had a single puff of a cigarette since that day. That was over 2 1/2 years ago. I noticed within a week that I could already breath better. And I went from spending that $154/week to probably about the same $ amount for a whole year. So not only am I not smoking anymore, but I'm saving about $8,000 a year.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:15 PM
KilgoreTrout

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I smoked for about 15yrs. Tried vaping for a while and it worked pretty well, but I'm not so sure about it. I switched to swedish snus about 5yrs ago as my harm reduction and haven't looked back.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:44 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
I smoked for about 15yrs. Tried vaping for a while and it worked pretty well, but I'm not so sure about it. I switched to swedish snus about 5yrs ago as my harm reduction and haven't looked back.

Itís a good way to kill your self as well.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 03-10-2020, 01:52 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smokers

My mother-in-law died from lung cancer in her early 50s. She was a smoker as was her husband. Several of their offspring (not my wife) were also smokers. Every one of them swore they'd never smoke again. That lasted a few weeks then they went back to it. I don't really care if people want to smoke. None of my business as long as I don't have to breath their smoke. I just wish the serious smokers knew how bad they smell!
Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM
KilgoreTrout

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
Itís a good way to kill your self as well.

Harm reduction. There's no doubt in my mind that it's a whole lot better than smoking. I mean, the research seems to suggest that pretty strongly as well.
But anything harmful that you do is....well.... harmful.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Opinions On Smoking

My grandfather died at 47 from lung cancer. I started in my teens and Iíve smoked off and on since (Iím 65) A combination of luck and a very active life have kept me pretty healthy until 6 weeks ago. My bp is low as is my heart rate. My cholesterol is slightly elevated and my arteries are clear,but I stroked (3 clots ) anyway and smoking was my only risk factor. A few years ago,I could still ski,kayak or snowshoe all day long.Hiking 8-10 miles at 10,000í wasnít a big deal. Currently,walking one mile with a limp just wipes me out. Iím using the patch now.
Update 3/21: 2 miles,fast pace,no limp and easy peasy ;-)

Last edited by arjay; 03-21-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Deathrowdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smoking

I worked 35 years on top of 8.5 million gallons of liquid propane , myself or no one in my crew smoked . There were new people transferring in tried to smoke and where ran out by a pipe swinging nut , ME ! I have friends that smoking killed them , one still smokes and gets into coughing fits , so badly that he blacks out and wrecks . He was in the hospital from this , asks the nurse to take him outside to smoke , she says ď no way you are on oxygen , fool ď. He jumps up yanks everything tube out of his arms , gets dressed and calls a cab home . Iím like really Dude , you donít think you have a problem ? His answer is , ď you got to die from something , I want to enjoy myself ! ď He never smokes near me , cleans up his butts , but looks and acts as if he is knocking on deaths door and smells worse from a 3 pack a day habit . Fingers are yellow ask well as on spot in his gray beard . I never did smoke and tell everyone , if I every go off on someone it will because they think they are funny and blow smoke in my face .
Old 03-21-2020, 02:27 PM
jht22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The OP hasn't posted since 2014, I have to wonder if they were a smoker and it finally caught up with them? I liked to hope NOT! I grew up in a house of smokers, I was one myself. I was a pack a day, and quit about 10 years ago. Nasty habit!!! I can't stand to be around it. My neighbors are terrible chimney's, she continually has a butt in tow. I wish them and all smokers luck. Quit now while your ahead!
Old 03-22-2020, 11:01 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've wondered for years why it is even legal. 1917