NRA Classification - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Palms

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I started in both rimfire and handgun and really enjoying the opportunities at the range and keeping score of progress. Thoroughly like participating in the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 AM
ROD BROWN
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I started shooting competively while serving in the Army.Shot well enough to go to the All Army matches and then on to Camp Perry.Made the Master class in one year.The army team at Fort Benning fine tuned my shooting ability and when I discharged from the service I was shooting quite well. I did learn that I am one of those shooters that needs to practice constantly.If I don't practice all the time,my scores suffer. Practice,practice,practice.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:37 PM
landshark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gladwell says it take 10,000 hours to master anything, and I think thats probably a pretty good guideline.

I've been shooting religiously all my life. My Dad started me out as soon as I was out of diapers. He was the top smallbore shooter on his high school and college teams and loved shooting bullseye. It was our baseball.

As a kid it was too easy for me, I had too many advantages ( in terms of equipment and coaching) for it to be competitive locally, and I didn't have the discipline or drive to take it seriously and shoot big matches, but I still shot every chance I got and loved every second of it. Mostly because I got to hang out with my Dad, and he didn't push me, nor was he competitive at all and he wanted other things for me besides shooting.

I didn't start shooting highpower competitively until I was 40. My first card was an expert card, at six months I got a Masters card at Perry and then I hit a plateau and shot matches regularly for several years but never really improved very much although I was privileged to shoot and hang out with a lot of the big dogs in the sport.

Lately I've been shooting Bullseye. I don't have a Bullseye card, but my goal is for my first card be a master card. I've been trying to go through the Marine corps pistol manual posted on Zins website for several years but haven't been able to get to the point where I can reliably the clean the rapid fire target slow fire.

Some of the best advice I ever got from the big dogs is

1. Nobody cares what your scores are, the only thing anybody remembers is how you carry yourself.

2. You always have to ask yourself if you're asking yourself the right questions.

Once I took those two lessons to heart, my previously checkered professional career took off like a rocket and I've never been able to get back to shooting like I'd like to, but I still love it, and miss it when I'm not shooting, and have fun with it which is what its really all about.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:14 AM
hamden
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I need to watch the forum more often down in the other rooms

I am Bullseye Master Class, CMP Distinguished. Used to shoot Smallbore Prone before doing Bullseye. Started Bullseye in 1969. Quit for family reasons in 1976 for 20+ years. When I came back, my first match was a 25 yd 1800 for 22 and CF. I used my long kept HS and fired 810. CF was with a 52 and scored 814. Not bad after a 20+ year layoff. Then I had a nice climb in averages over a couple years doing 2700s. 810 became 820 became 830 became 840 became 850 became 860. I seemed to top out at 860s and 870s. Best 2700 ever is 2580. But with recent age increases and lack of practice time, I would consider 850s a good average. In a week there is our first gallery league match. Sectional in March. I hope to be competitive by then.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM
mageepeak
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nra ranks

0-84.99-Marksman
85-89.99-Sharpshooter
90-94.99-Expert
95-96.99-Master
97+-High Master
Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM
1shotbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started BE shooting in 1975 in sharpshooter class and in 1977 worked my way to Expert class, then I missed about 4 years because I was working the 2ed shift, and in 1985 to Master class and in 1993 Hi Master class. where I'm still at today at 67 years old.

You will find it takes a lot of dedication to become a good shot , few shooters have that much dedication ! and that's OK as long as they are having fun.

Last edited by 1shotbob; 02-04-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:20 PM
old navy guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had some really good scores and then there were a few times when I had a tough time just hitting the floor. Never the less, I always had a good time, learned a few things, taught a few things, but mostly enjoyed good times and friends.
Checked an award I received a few years back and realized that I had achieved Expert.
One final note, I shot my 2nd 100 yesterday on a rapid fire, had 5 or 6 Bulls, ragged hole straddling the 10 / X circle so I settled for a 5/5 score.

Last edited by old navy guy; 02-07-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fired my 2nd 100
Old 02-18-2016, 01:12 AM
mageepeak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow

Way to go squid, nice shooting!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 PM
old navy guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy

Thank You Mageepeak, currently I am 6th out of 98 shooters for the Pine Tree State Postal's this year, that wiil probably change after the last set of targets were submitted, The floor is safe as I missed it along with the big black spot on the target.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 AM
mageepeak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well

How'd you do? We all hope for good targets.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 PM
old navy guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finished 13th overall and 2nd with-in the club, had a couple of target sets where I tried to rush and ended up doing worse. Still a great year tho.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Competition ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilski View Post
I understand where you are comming from we have 3 times as many people that dont turn in there scores to the NRA than do but they do keep score. So saying that competing is bad is not a very accurate statement. So I guess the 10s of thousands of shooters around the world are making things worse by competing I think not. So in your own words.
I've been shooting matches since 92. I figure I'm shooting against myself. I usually know when I've made a good shot, lucky shot or got impatient and rushed a shot. Yes I keep score and turn it in. I shoot for fun. The people I shoot with congratulate you when you've done well. The competition helps me judge my performance, shooting with others under the same conditions.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:30 PM
1shotbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been shooting BE since 1975 ,was classfied Master in about 5 years with iron sights. when RDS became popular and installing a aimpoint 2000 ive been shooting High Master ever since with usually a 295 to 293 average over the flowing years.
never shot a 300 but shot three 299 with a 16x being the best!
Old 12-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Steeveedee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of my sons and I are shooting at Distinguished Expert level in the light rifle category. He's at 192+/200, I average 195.5+/200, all on A32 targets. Guess we ought to buy some chrome. Not sure what those other qualifications are. Willing to be educated! Must be in a different system? The NRA/Winchester program is the only one I'm familiar with. I was an NRA CFI for Rifle and Shotgun, and was a Merit Badge counselor for about 10 years as a BSA leader, but I let it expire because of travel for business. Busy launching rockets into space (I worked on the payloads- the Defense Support Program).