Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 PM
JohnTheFisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1416 accuracy vs others

Help an anschutz noob out here if you would.

Iím about to invest a chunk of my bonus on a 22. My 3 choices are the anschutz 1416 (A1416AVBTX)...the new bergara b-14r that hasnít been released yet, and a cz457 with an upgraded Lilja barrel. My question is this...accuracy is the bottom line and biggest factor in deciding. The 1416 is not exactly a top of the line anschutz but how will it stack up in terms of accuracy with the other mentioned rifles? i know the bergaraís accuracy is to be determined but itís in the same price range so Iím assuming it will be a decent shooter. My concern is this... will a lower end anschutz be as good or better than a lesser brandís better models given all variables are the same. Iíll be using the rifle for nrl22 style matches and bench shooting.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
457 accuracy can be a crap shoot, I'd go with the 1416. Still have 3 of them and very pleased. Hard to beat Anschutz barrels and triggers.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 PM
JohnTheFisherman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Avoiding the crap shoot is what I’m after and why I’m leaning heavily towards the anschutz. It’s the brand that has been the gold standard for many many years. Just not sure about what kind of accuracy is considered acceptable for this model. General consensus seems to be that the 54 action is the way to go. Not too much love for the 64’s among anschutz enthusiasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'd go Anschutz. I don't have the CZ you mentioned but my 1416 will out shoot any of my CZs and is right up there with my Sako Quad. An aside, I bought my 1416 over 20 yrs ago and it shot terrible. At the time I din't have time to mess with it. I just set in the back of the safe for about 15 years. I retired and drug it back out. Turns out the gun would not sit straight in the stock. I did some sanding and re-aligning and now it's one of my best shooters.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I have rifles both in the 64 actions and 54..Don't see much difference in accuracy

I would go with the Anschutz

You won't be disappointed

pipestone
Old 12-04-2019, 12:41 AM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Please take this with a grain of salt! I have a 64 MS that shoots lights out! I also have a 1416 AV with the short threaded barrel. I'm not sure about this one. Shoots OK but not up there with the older 64 MS. I suppose I need to shoot it more to find out what it likes.
Chris
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheFisherman View Post
Avoiding the crap shoot is what I’m after and why I’m leaning heavily towards the anschutz. It’s the brand that has been the gold standard for many many years. Just not sure about what kind of accuracy is considered acceptable for this model. General consensus seems to be that the 54 action is the way to go. Not too much love for the 64’s among anschutz enthusiasts.
It's not so much an absence of love for 64's among Anschutz enthusiasts, but rather an enthusiasm for the best in the Anschutz lineup.

There are basically four Anschutz actions as well as the eponymous Fortner action, found on biathlon and a few other "high end" Anschutz models. The four other actions include the discontinued Flobert, the 64, the 54, and the new-in-2019 1761 models, which have a newly designed action. The latter is still unfamiliar to most Anschutz shooters, therefore the discussion is usually about the 64 and the 54. The 54 is the "Cadillac," the crŤme de la crŤme of Anschutz rifles, sporters and target. A lot of folks love the 54 because it's viewed as among the best anywhere.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
It's not so much an absence of love for 64's among Anschutz enthusiasts, but rather an enthusiasm for the best in the Anschutz lineup... The 54 is the "Cadillac," the crŤme de la crŤme of Anschutz rifles, sporters and target. A lot of folks love the 54 because it's viewed as among the best anywhere.
To add to this, in the Prone and 3-P Market, where Anschutz established their reputation for building accurate rifles, Match 64 actioned models are designed and marketed for juniors, teens, and low-cost options for clubs. Match 64s don't win the big matches. This isn't due to an inherent lack of accuracy, but a reflection of ergonomics and weight. Adult Prone3-P shooters generally don't want a 9lb rifle in a basic wood stock. Yes, you could re-barrel and have a custom stock fitted, but a Match 54 will meet the bill with less fuss. For the really serious shooters, who put 10,000 rounds a year through one rifle, the 54 is more durable.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 AM
wallyworldmudhen

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Hi John,
My first Anschutz (since years ago) was a 1416. Have now progressed into bench rest with (to me) several expensive Anschutz. My impression is that the 1416 may be shooting just as accurately as the rest.
Good luck and best regards,
Wally
Old 12-04-2019, 10:35 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
I have rifles both in the 64 actions and 54..Don't see much difference in accuracy

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM
JohnTheFisherman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey everyone, thank you for the replies. Lots of good info.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:12 PM
redrockranger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz 54

Quote:
Avoiding the crap shoot is what Iím after and why Iím leaning heavily towards the anschutz. Itís the brand that has been the gold standard for many many years. Just not sure about what kind of accuracy is considered acceptable for this model. General consensus seems to be that the 54 action is the way to go. Not too much love for the 64ís among anschutz enthusiasts.
54 is the one save a little longer and enjoy a Anschutz 54.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:26 PM
R4B1DM4U53
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Help an anschutz noob out here if you would.

Iím about to invest a chunk of my bonus on a 22. My 3 choices are the anschutz 1416 (A1416AVBTX)...and a cz457 with an upgraded Lilja barrel. My question is this...accuracy is the bottom line and biggest factor in deciding. The 1416 is not exactly a top of the line anschutz but how will it stack up in terms of accuracy with the other mentioned rifles? My concern is this... will a lower end anschutz be as good or better than a lesser brandís better models given all variables are the same. Iíll be using the rifle for nrl22 style matches and bench shooting.
For your uses, I'd lean towards the CZ 457 with upgraded barrel. I know what the 455's are capable of when fitted with a good barrel, and I'd put my money on a properly built CZ with match barrel over any factory off-the-shelf rifle, even an AnschŁtz. The CZ magazines and extraction/ejection are more reliable than AnschŁtz, which could be a factor in the nrl22 shooting you want to do. When member djdillidon here was building rifles, he would often modify the AnschŁtz builds to accept CZ magazines.

The 457 has some changes to the ignition design compared to the 455, and I don't have a 457 in hand to give an opinion one way or the other on it. Just from looking at pictures, I don't see a benefit to the design change, at best it's a wash. Whether it manifests in any significant way towards accuracy, I don't know.

You don't have to go with a Lilja "Drop-in" for the 457. Any reputable match barrel brand, custom fit by a skilled gunsmith (John Langely comes to mind), is going to perform to a high level, guaranteed. "High level" doesn't imply world record setting, National Benchrest winning accuracy (that's a tough gig to guarantee), but you'd have to get lucky with a factory rifle and get one on the high-end of the bellcurve to match it.

I've had a "dud" barrel from AnschŁtz (0.6"-1" groups at 50 yards), and two others that were "average", being that they would satisfy most casual shooters/hunters, but would not be competitive in any matches. I've also shot a friends 54 action 1712, no real observable difference in accuracy compared to my 64's, and we tried quite a bit of different ammo in them.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I donít have any firsthand experience with a 457, so I canít speak to that part of your question. But Iíve got a few 455 models with Lilja barrels done by DJ here on RFC and Iíve got an Annie 1416AV model.

From an accuracy standpoint, the Annie is considerably more accurate that one of the Lilja 455ís and about even with the other.

If it were my $ to spend, and IMHO, Iíd probably look at the Annie. The 5098 two stage trigger is very good out of the box and can be easily converted to a nice single stage model if you find that you donít like the two stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 PM
R4B1DM4U53
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5593907 View Post
I donít have any firsthand experience with a 457, so I canít speak to that part of your question. But Iíve got a few 455 models with Lilja barrels done by DJ here on RFC and Iíve got an Annie 1416AV model.

From an accuracy standpoint, the Annie is considerably more accurate that one of the Lilja 455ís and about even with the other.

If it were my $ to spend, and IMHO, Iíd probably look at the Annie. The 5098 two stage trigger is very good out of the box and can be easily converted to a nice single stage model if you find that you donít like the two stage.
More for the OP, but take this for what it's worth. When one looks at the equipment lists for BR competitions, Lilja barrels are largely absent. I've got a couple Liljas that shoot quite well, and I've got one that shoots so poorly Lilja has agreed to replace it. There are a few reports here on RFC of people being less than satisfied with their barrels from Lilja.

I don't want to look down on Lilja barrels, as their customer service to me has been excellent. I'll just put it out there that when it comes to match rimfire barrels, one should do their research and see what the "Top Dogs" are using. High quality rimfire barrels are a tricky thing to produce, and the more "high volume" the production of them becomes, the greater the chance that the outcome is less than ideal.