Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
It also helps to advertise that ANY .22 will get you in the game. (i.e no specialized gear needed to get started.)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
...It also helps to advertise...

As the OP of this thread, I've been waiting to add more until I had something new to say, but one thing is clear: publicity and communication are not what gun clubs do best. Without "Marketing" you get few people out there the first time.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ME TOO !

[QUOTE=Tacoma;11251931]When I ran rimfire silhouette at my club I used to tell people that it was as close to their childhood experiences of shooting cans and bottles as they could ever get.

It also helps to advertise that ANY .22 will get you in the game. (i.e no specialized gear needed to get started. (If they like it, the better equipment usually comes shortly.)[/QUOTE
At our Club I like to start them on half size silhouettes. Let them use .22 rifles if they don't have a handgun. They'll have a better chance of hitting a few.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Pugs
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
That gets people to come out and give it a try. The hard part is getting them to come back. Too many are easily discouraged if they don't have quick and easy success. That's why some clubs use the pistol targets instead of the 1/5 scale rimfire rifle targets. Remember that if you have only one new shooter he is probably automatically the B-class winner and gets some sort of prize.
That's what they do at Atglen. Two banks of pistol targets for club rifle (4X scope max) and handguns and 4 banks of standard small bore.

We get 15-25 shooters a month depending and that's pretty stable now that .22 is available for casual shooters.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:49 PM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
"We do not choose to shoot silhouette because it is easy. We choose it because it is hard. "

With apologies to JFK.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Bowman26
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As a recently passed silhouette shooter I knew once said. "It's not that they're hard to hit, they're just really easy to miss!" So very true. If you are not up for a challenge this is not the game for you. I started shooting it because I was invited and enjoy shooting. It also helps is you ever dreamed of shooting 5 shot groups like this offhand (no sling)

Try shooting Target air rifle silhouette outdoors if you want a real challenge. 10m Target air rifles designed to shoot 33' Indoors shooting out to 45 Yards at Rams outdoors will get your wind reading skills sharpened fast. Or a chicken at 20 yards that size of your thumbnail.

Overall bench shooting just bores me to tears. Shooting High Power Rams at 550 yards and watching them fall is a thrill. You just have to actually hit them.

I've seen more 1st timers come and never return after thinking they could never compete with the Master shooters. We ran a money shoot at the end of a match, $2 for a shot at a 1/5 SB chicken placed on the ram line at 110 yards. I shot 2 out of 3 off the rail and as I looked back the new guy was shaking his head and we never say him again.

Everyone is a crack shot at hunting camps and around ranges, right up until you put a rifle in their hands and say shoot that little target standing on your own legs no bench or rest of any kind lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5ShotGroup.JPG (8.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 06:32 PM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman26 View Post
... Try shooting Target air rifle silhouette outdoors if you want a real challenge. 10m Target air rifles designed to shoot 33' Indoors shooting out to 45 Yards at Rams outdoors will get your wind reading skills sharpened fast. Or a chicken at 20 yards that size of your thumbnail.
Yup! We shoot air rifle silhouette on Wednesday afternoon practices during the summer and regularly scheduled matches every month throughout the year. I'm really glad we have an active air rifle silhouette community down here in Texas and Louisiana.

Target rifle is especially tough. Follow-through must be much better than smallbore and, as Bowman mentions, the wind can crush your spirit if you're not paying close attention. We had 10-15 MPH winds two days a go and was absolutely thrilled that I managed a 30.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:08 PM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I shot 2 out of 3 off the rail and as I looked back the new guy was shaking his head and we never say him again.
Did you offer to help him out? Did anyone let him shoot a rifle set-up for competition?
It is hard to 'read tone' accurately, but reading your post I get the feeling you are fairly proud of scaring him off and view it as a victory. If accurate, there may have been more reason than two successful shots as to why he did not return.
There are ten or more groups with meetings listed on meetup.org every night in my area. Archery, axe throwing, board games, language exchange, wine/beer/whiskey tasting, etc. etc. Most offer a challenge of some sort. I return to the ones where people are friendly and helpful.

Last edited by jpw062; 10-05-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Bowman26

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw062 View Post
Did you offer to help him out? Did anyone let him shoot a rifle set-up for competition?
It is hard to 'read tone' accurately, but reading your post I get the feeling you are fairly proud of scaring him off and view it as a victory. If accurate, there may have been more reason than two successful shots as to why he did not return.
There are ten or more groups with meetings listed on meetup.org every night in my area. Archery, axe throwing, board games, language exchange, wine/beer/whiskey tasting, etc. etc. Most offer a challenge of some sort. I return to the ones where people are friendly and helpful.
Dude for one you don't know me. How any matches have you helped run for years? Air Rifle, Small Bore, High Power? I've helped run them all including Nationals. So your ASSumption is just that! I have brought as many as I could find to a match to try the game, I offer them my ammo and my custom 1712 rifle to try if they'd like and offer tips. The guy that turned away and never came back was the friend of another shooter I did nothing to make him feel unwanted! You'd have a smile on your face if you just shot 2 CHICKENS off the RAM LINE! So sue me for being happy with my 2/3! If you think the silhouette shooters from Louisiana are unhelpful, unfriendly people you obviously have never been there.

The point of my post is that many people in this society want instant gratification. We call them bench rest shooters. People do not want to think about the time and effort it will take them to compete with Master class shooters. Others like myself are drawn to one day being able to shoot with the Masters if we challenge ourselves and when you finally achieve that there is a great deal of satisfaction. Much more than decreasing my group CTC by .021" off a bench! But hey that's just me!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 AM
teetertotter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
@Bowman26, thank you for all that you have done and do for our sport. I had to retire from being our director 4 years ago, due to health. My assistant took over and our NRA competition has grown at our club.

I continue to keep in touch and try and shoot, when I can. I'm pretty good at "CALLING," these days, and need to do more! Winter is here and we move to indoor paper practice in Jan.

We did have 2 people from our club that went to Nationals this year. One Master and 1 AA or AAA. They did take 3rd in team and had a woman as their third. Pretty cool!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The point of my post is that many people in this society want instant gratification. We call them bench rest shooters. People do not want to think about the time and effort it will take them to compete with Master class shooters.
You realize how arrogant that statement reads, right?
Are you saying the top bench shooters aren't equal to those in other disciplines of the shooting sports? If I show up to your event and you, as a leader, say things like this I am probably not coming back.
I don't know you. I am basing what I type on a very limited window into your behavior offered by your posts. I admitted that before and your posts read as defensive to me which further reinforces my position.

I am not a bench shooter. I only shoot off a bench to get an initial zero with a new set-up. My rifles are light with iron sights. I don't have a rifle in my stable with which I could put a competitive score on the board in even the local matches.
I have still spent enough time around bench shooters discussing their sport with an open mind to know they put a ton of time into preparing for their competitions. Yes, their preparations are of more of an engineering type than practicing pulling the trigger, but they don't just slap a scope on a production rifle, throw it down on the rests and start yanking on the trigger.
You know what is really hard? Point shooting a pistol off hand out the window and forward while driving a car. A straight line isn't easy, but throw some cones down and it gets really interesting. I've never tried a motorcycle, but there is supposedly a guy who can do it proficiently.

I was really disappointed the first time I spoke at length with a drag racer and found out they don't just slam on the gas and head for the finish line full speed to see who gets there first. I kept my ears open and my mouth shut long enough to learn the basics of the timing and all the prep for a run. I don't go around talking about how people who can't hold a line on a gravel turn aren't real drivers.

This thread started with:
Quote:
We're not getting many shooters to try it and few come back. Any suggestions?
I am in a lot of organizations. I go to a lot more organizations for a meeting or two and don't go back. Whether or not I go back has very little to do with the subject of the organization. It also has little to do with any competitiveness. I have won plenty of awards and trophies from athletics to research to people telling me they named their kids after me (the greatest honor I have had yet and stand at two, BTW).

Don't be arrogant. Don't talk down to new people. Assign greeting new people and making sure they have all the help they need to a person. Literally make it a position in your organization and give it to the most friendly/outgoing/extroverted person who has basic competency, not the most skilled. Realize this is the most important position in your organization. Have someone assigned back-up unless your primary doesn't show or there are more new people than they can handle. Make a checklist. Yes, a checklist of what information needs to be given to new people.
I started traditional archery this Summer. I don't really like it. The group I found is great though. When I move sometime next year that will probably be the end of archery for me. Real simple. I called/e-mailed several firearms groups before trying archery. Short conversations with them and I decided going to a meeting wasn't necessary. Not that there aren't firearms groups that are great. I miss the CMP high power group I used to shoot in where I lived ten years ago and the trap group I shot with where I lived before that. There was a rimfire pistol league in there somewhere.

Last edited by jpw062; 10-10-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Bowman26

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
JPW062.. I come here to talk shooting not be clinically analyzed for my comments about shooting. I never said the top bench shooters don't put in effort and practice to reach the top but I AM saying shooting off a bench is as easy as it gets to shoot awesome groups and test your equipment or do you disagree with that as well?

Lets take a top bench rest shooter and a top offhand shooter and let them compete. Who's groups do you think will be closer to the others? 100 yards 10 shots off the bench and 10 shots offhand smallest total aggregate between both positions wins. My money would always be on the offhand shooter.

You know sometimes in my posts I make comments in jest or just to have a little fun with other shooters. Don't read more into my posts than is really there.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have a range north of us that shoots a Silhouette match 10 months of the year.

I've just got a couple of my USBR Benchrest shooters to give a go.
I'll I did was tell them that they will suck so bad at 1st that they'll want to toss their rifle into a lake (happens for 1st time golfers all the time).

So they are struggling though it, and the first one to give it a go after a 200-300 rounds of practice on a 50yd paper target shot a 14. Not bad at all, and he screwed up is dial up on Turkeys.
So he's hooked.
Should have a least 2 more get on the band wagon by the 1st of the year.
It helps that they are all learning this at the same time.

This will be a great complement to our benchrest shooting.
We also shoot Steel Challenges.
However, I'm not sure I can get them into Bullseye Pistol yet. Baby steps.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-15-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 AM
goodjavstexas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I've created a Google calendar with all the silhouette matches in the state of Texas (at least the ones I can find).

https://tinyurl.com/y7nagatc

If anyone knows who the contact person would be for the Haltom City matches I would love to add that info to the listing. Their website doesn't seem to offer that info unless you're a member of the club with a login and password.
Thank you for posting this! I'm a HighPower/Service Rifle shooter looking for ways to get better and I've been itching to try silhouette shooting for offhand improvement. I'm in San Antonio and I get so frustrated trying to find a good central source for matches of any shooting sport.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:13 AM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Glad you find it useful.

CTSA in New Braunfels is going to be your best bet. I believe the silhouette matches are done for the year and start again after hunting season (February or March?). Mark Pharr is the guy for any questions.