Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:11 PM
PisgahProject
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CMP TU with 10/22

Hi, looking for pics of your CMP TU 10/22 rifles and set up. Along with what you liked most and what you would change. I have several rimfires and will most likely bring a 10/22 for the Rimfire Sporter Rifle Match. I've done some small bore and other rimfire events but new to CMP- Will be doing my first Appleseed in Dec since I missed the rest.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:23 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Below is a pic of my CMP Rimfire Sporter rifle.

I'm not sure if the Magpul stock now places me in Tactical Unlimited or not. Last year at all big matches it was in T class. But I'm thinking it may be TU now.

It makes overall weight.

Barrel is a Volquartsen THM lightweight bull barrel

Trigger is a Kidd single stage

Stock, Magpul X22

Scope mount is a Tactical Solutions offset/cantilever 1 piece mount.

Scope is a Nikon EFR Prostaff 3x9, taped at 6X

It's a tack driver. I'm always in the high Silver with it and only shoot it twice a year.

The Volquartsen lightweight bull barrel is what really helped with keeping it within overall weight.

R/
Chris

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 AM
PisgahProject
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks navybow hunter, that is exactly what I was looking for. I almost Pm'd you based on your other threads. I was looking at the rules for CMP Rules 3.0, 8.0 but between the videos and other pics of people with bull barrels and mixed stocks I assumed TU likely be my end point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PisgahProject View Post
Thanks navybow hunter, that is exactly what I was looking for. I almost Pm'd you based on your other threads. I was looking at the rules for CMP Rules 3.0, 8.0 but between the videos and other pics of people with bull barrels and mixed stocks I assumed TU likely be my end point.
Possibly...

The CMP Armorer at the New England Games told me regarding my Magpul stock
"We are reviewing these".

Either way is cool with me, the cut is only a couple points higher.

The 2020 rules are up on the CMP site, in "draft" format.

Of interest..is the "Mandatory Eye Protection", that's new. I hate competing with Eyepro....but guess I'll have to start getting used to it.

R/
Chris

Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Eye protection, a good thing (kinda like seat belts).
Before I needed eye glasses I did not often use 'eye protection'. After glasses my eyes have been literally saved numerous times in the past 40ish years because I had poly lens eye glasses on. A couple were firearms related. Guess I got lucky before I got smart......
But it probably takes good optical quality lenses to not get distortion, you may find it better to get 'real glasses' with no correction (if you still have good vision) than 'shooting glasses' with distortion. Ive looked through several name brands that were horrible.
Btw, Nice Rifle!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:19 AM
PisgahProject
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I'm trying to understand setup... and been looking at as many threads as I can. But I think most of the Ruger 10/22 targets weigh in at 7.5 or 8lbs ...according to the rules these would not be allowed due to weight. Only ones with bull barrels I see are sleeved either Volquartsen, Magnum Research or WP. Even in the pamphlet 2018 http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...f?ver=20180406 there are 3 showing bull barrels. Unless running sleeved how are they making weight with an optic?

As per rule 8.2.2 pistol grips and thumbholes are not allowed so TU so would be the only class for Magpul, Titan because of the angle grip??

on 8.2.2 a - when it talks about fixed sling if I have a sling in a fixed QD mount that's screwed it is (semi) permanently attached would this be legal? or do I have to use the swing swivel since the QD hole is at the end of pic rail?
Old 11-23-2019, 11:33 AM
PisgahProject
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[ATTACH]20191123_112314.jpg[/ATTACH]

So if I got another pic rail and attached the QD glued welded etc.. even tho it is not off the swivel since it is fixed non-adjustable would that be legal? My only reasoning is location and what I'm already used to as far as length
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191123_112326.jpg (488.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 06:31 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PisgahProject View Post
So I'm trying to understand setup... and been looking at as many threads as I can. But I think most of the Ruger 10/22 targets weigh in at 7.5 or 8lbs ...according to the rules these would not be allowed due to weight. Only ones with bull barrels I see are sleeved either Volquartsen, Magnum Research or WP. Even in the pamphlet 2018 http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...f?ver=20180406 there are 3 showing bull barrels. Unless running sleeved how are they making weight with an optic?

As per rule 8.2.2 pistol grips and thumbholes are not allowed so TU so would be the only class for Magpul, Titan because of the angle grip??

on 8.2.2 a - when it talks about fixed sling if I have a sling in a fixed QD mount that's screwed it is (semi) permanently attached would this be legal? or do I have to use the swing swivel since the QD hole is at the end of pic rail?
My 10/22s make weight only with the lightweight VQ barrels. A standard heavy BBL won't make weight.

A stock 10/22 will absolutely make weight.

Your sling swivel is fine.

Your stock question, will have to get CMP rules committee to clarify, or...call and ask, better yet, email a pic of stock and ask.

I'm thinking Magpul X22 will be TU, but I'm not certain on that.

Will only really matter at a big match (Regional Games or Nationals), you'll find out during tech insp whether it is T or TU.

MOST local matches don't have proper trigger weights (official weight set), or a scale to weigh entire rifle.

I'd say, email CMP rules committee with pics if you want clarification from them.

R/
Chris

Old 12-01-2019, 10:48 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I shot a 10/22 with a Boyd's tacticool stock (maybe they call it a pro varmint now) at Perry last summer. TU Class. The dudes who checked in my rifles told me I could shoot it in the T class if I wanted. I don't know who they were, but I'm going to leave it in TU if I shoot next year...don't want to worry about it. It is very nice for this game, and I'm sure the Magpul would be good also. I will modify a leftover carbine stock for a T class gun next year. Will keep it very simple...just a flat butt and a straighter comb. The factory stock grip and forend suits me fine.

It would be good to get a definitive answer on stocks from CMP folks ahead of time so we can plan accordingly.

Edit: the new 2020 draft rules on the web site do have some photos to help explain their ruling on the gun classes. Check it out.

Last edited by PAndy; 12-01-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:05 PM
PisgahProject
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
I shot a 10/22 with a Boyd's tacticool stock (maybe they call it a pro varmint now) at Perry last summer. TU Class. The dudes who checked in my rifles told me I could shoot it in the T class if I wanted. I don't know who they were, but I'm going to leave it in TU if I shoot next year...don't want to worry about it. It is very nice for this game, and I'm sure the Magpul would be good also. I will modify a leftover carbine stock for a T class gun next year. Will keep it very simple...just a flat butt and a straighter comb. The factory stock grip and forend suits me fine.

It would be good to get a definitive answer on stocks from CMP folks ahead of time so we can plan accordingly.

Edit: the new 2020 draft rules on the web site do have some photos to help explain their ruling on the gun classes. Check it out.
The only one I seem to be able to find is the 2019 rules, still can't find the 2020 draft with the search. Perhaps you can post or pm link? I've sent a detailed email regarding the stock and sling.
I can come up with two 10/22s that would be in TU class, just noticed my wife's would be perfect for TU and in change in stock would also fit T if I can sneak it from her
Old 12-04-2019, 09:32 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Here's the link, if it works.

http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-c...ons-rulebooks/

I think the controversial stocks for making T class will be the magpul, the boyd's tacticool, and perhaps a couple people might want to use the bell and carlson target/varmint stock. The rules people should address them directly, in my view. I was told last year that none of the above could be used in T class, but don't take my word for it.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:31 AM
PisgahProject
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received an email from the CMPTraining & Education Manager regarding both the Magpul hunter and Victor Titan specifically and they are both in the TU class due to pistol grip. I have the email saved and will happily PM it. Now I guess I just need to figure out which best suits weight.