Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:31 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I don't own a Henry, but did buy a BL 22...big mistake. I hated it and sold it at a loss just so I didn't have to insult my other rifles with it's presence. Then went on to find a really fine Marlin 39A. A real gem; accurate and extremely solid. Good luck with your Henry.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had two Frontiers, now one. Minute of squirrel at 50 yards and that is about it. It is fun to shoot. Careful on the Skiinners if you are shooting various distances. The peep is a PITA to adjust and you may have to change posts for 100+ yards.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
I had two Frontiers, now one. Minute of squirrel at 50 yards and that is about it. It is fun to shoot. Careful on the Skiinners if you are shooting various distances. The peep is a PITA to adjust and you may have to change posts for 100+ yards.
Yep, the Williams FP-GR-TK peep sight is the better option when shooting at varying distances. It's a little bulky, but best when accuracy is important.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Chucksolo1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got my Octagon Frontier yesterday and am eager to shoot it. My H001 Classic is scoped and is a tack driver out to 50 yards. Should I scope my Frontier or not? Help me deicide.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:15 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksolo1 View Post
I just got my Octagon Frontier yesterday and am eager to shoot it. My H001 Classic is scoped and is a tack driver out to 50 yards. Should I scope my Frontier or not? Help me deicide.
I thought about putting a scope on my Evil Roy, just to try it out...but I'm concerned the scope rings would mess up what I'm guessing is a clear coat over the shiny silver receiver cover. I did take the rear buckhorn sight off and put a Skinner barrel mount peep sight in its place...much better now, but I know it would be a real tack driver with a scope.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 AM
Washburn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry Frontier H001TMLB -- .22 WMR

Hereís my impression of the Henry Frontier H001TMLB (.22 WMR, 24Ē octagon bbl) -- the first new gun I ever bought. By the time I left the store with rifle in hand, it was dang near six bills with all the taxes and restrictive fees that Calif sticks gun-buyers with. Iím sure yaíll will have a better shopping experience wherever you are!

Was impressed, out of the box, with the look and heft of the Henry. Loved the octagon bbl, dark lustrous bluing and nicely finished furniture. But was not impressed with the way the lever did not retract up to the tang. It didnít close all the way (IMO). Probably a snarky nit on my part, but I contacted Henry customer service, which is second to none in making their customers happy. I explained my issue and they immediately sent me a new lever, free.

The cheat sheet they sent with the new lever was for installing the cowboy-style loop lever, which was good because it spoke to dealing with the innards of the .22 WMR version, which is different than the S/L/LR version. At the time the Henry website had no info on the WMR version. That was 2 years ago, so they may have updated their instructional videos.

The first time at the range, the ammo wouldnít feed out of the tube. The tube dia was slightly smaller than the ammo casing (think it was CCI) and the cartridges hung up. Took a car key and with a circular motion enlarged the tube opening slightly which solved the problem and itís been working great ever since. The rifle is a very fun shooter because itís accurate. Watching their company video, I see that they use Pratt & Whitney machine tooling to drill their barrels. (This impressed me because it was P&W machine tools that made the Lithgow, Australian versions of the .303 Lee-Enfield the most accurate of all Ė 100 years ago. I know, I have one and shoot it regularly).

Other commenters on this forum have remarked on the painted pot metal receivers. Iíve already got a few scratches on mine in the field. I would love to buy a blued steel version as an option if they offered it, but they do it this way to keep the cost down. Bottom line itís a very good shooter for the money, and fun. And thatís what itís all about with something like this. Something else to remember: Henry customer service is, in my experience, the absolute best. If you have any issues at all, theyíll cover you all the way down the line. Major compliments to Tony Imperato, president of Henry Arms. He gets it.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 PM
inspcalahan
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got the 24" Frontier and absolutely love it! I've taken a good amount of small game and grouse with it over the last few years. I really like the octagon barrel, it's wicked accurate, feeds everything I've stuffed into it and best yet - I have a small silencer on it, thanks to the threaded barrel - makes taking game a pleasant experience. Kind of fun with a mix of modern (suppressor) and old school (octagon barrel).
Old 11-28-2019, 09:41 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Handle one and make sure you like the way it fits. We have a couple 24" models and like them. One of them is pretty accurate, the other only shoots well with one kind of ammo but that works for us. I know quite a few frontier owners and the general satisfaction is very good.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:11 AM
spsix
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had mine for about a year, I went with the 20''. It's has been very good, I have not had any issues with it at all. It seems to be very accurate, I can shoot any ammo with it and it cycles and shoot just fine. I like the extra weight of the Octagon bbl, it's nice for shooting off hand or on the bench. It ( my Frontier) usually goes with me to the range along with my other center fire rifles or pistols that I might be shooting. After probably 1000 rounds I took the cover off and gave it a good cleaning and lube, Works great.
I did buy the Henry fancy wood for it, boy, it's darn nice wood. It's a heck of a shooter and a looker.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
johNTO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first Henry was a 20" Frontier....purchased many years ago. Loved the look of the octagonal bbl and the fit/heft of the rifle. Lever was smooth as butter and it shot very accurately with just the factory irons. (I'm one of "those" who believe a Lever should never be scoped). If I had to nit pick....I found the Frontier a little nose heavy and the fore-grip a little loose.

Like a fool I sold it and eventually replaced it with a bl22. Although the bl22 was a quality piece I hated the stiff trigger (thought the safety was on when I shot it the first time) and eventually hated the short throw lever. The high comb of the stock didn't fit as good as the Henry. The bl22 got sold without regret.

After a few years without a Lever I'm a happy owner of another Henry....Large Loop Carbine H001L. Love the balance of the 16.5"bbl, large loop for gloves and the hooded front sight is great for quick target acquisition even in low light. A keeper!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY68TPqNSwk

Last edited by johNTO; Yesterday at 07:21 PM.