Is the bridge burned? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Once again I missed a vote. Don't post here like I used to.

I am surprised a can is now allowed in Superstock. Anything larger than max barrel diameter just don't fit the definition of SuperStock, IMO.

My, how things change...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMgr View Post
Once again I missed a vote. Don't post here like I used to.

I am surprised a can is now allowed in Superstock. Anything larger than max barrel diameter just don't fit the definition of SuperStock, IMO.

My, how things change...

Things do change and this is a good one I think. You also have to understand we were being accused of being a "Exclusive Club" at the time of this vote and the Forum's existence was even threatened because it seemed we were turning so many people away telling them they could not play here!!

Also 4 years ago we voted to allow threaded barrels. What might you think was going on those threads?

Muzzle diameter has NOT changed. A suppressor is NOT a muzzle is it?

Personally since the cans were allowed we gained 4 new members with very nice SuperStock rifles. I have not broken out into hives or had my teeth fall out or lost all my hair (yet). I can see nothing bad about their inclusion. Everything I have seen is positive including some nice people joining our group.

Ops if we stand still we are going backwards! We have to stay up with the times and something like 35 states now allow these things. BATFE is considering dropping any registration of them and just allowing them. They make shooting MUCH more pleasant. I just hate I can not afford one.

Heck we have to have a muffler on our lawn mowers BY LAW but we are telling people WITH nice SuperStock rifles they can not join us? THAT may start to look like we are trying to be an "Exclusive Club" even though you and I know we are not.

I know it has not hurt my well being in the slightest. Are you developing an itch?

Glad to see you back. If it helps, the vote was so one sided your no vote (I assume), would not have changed the out come. One of our problems we have been having is a bunch of people that do not post here any more showing up only for votes and shooting down any change. I would like to see you back more often and then you COULD vote. The process took something like 1 1/2 to 2 weeks so it was not hidden from view.

Anyway it is called "Progress" and if you think about it THAT was where we started SuperStock. Remember how we changed how so many things were done? Somewhere we lost that pioneering spirit of making things better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vince, you present a well thought out position yet I must respectively disagree. Guess I'm old school when envisioning what a SuperStock rifle looks like. A sub-forum, similar to SuperStock Bolt would have been best, IMO.

At the risk of being redundant - My, how things change...

Old 07-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Vince, you present a well thought out position yet I must respectively disagree. Guess I'm old school when envisioning what a SuperStock rifle looks like. A sub-forum, similar to SuperStock Bolt would have been best, IMO.

At the risk of being redundant - My, how things change...

My friend we have always allowed disagreement haven't we? I lost my share of votes here and when I did I gracefully gave in and let the process work.

It still confounds me why a SuperStock rifle with a can that screws off is not a SuperStock rifle. Just about everyone that complains about the Suppressors were in on the vote that allowed threaded muzzles and the question never got answered.....what did you THINK was going on those threads!?!? Personally I never had a doubt. Now we are being HONEST about it instead of turning our heads and pretending we do not know what was going on those threads and there is a problem with a small group of old timers.

Like I said I lost some votes here but was not making a stink about it the NEXT DAY never mind a few months later. It is always how things have been done here.

NO ONE has yet explained to me why they feel they are personally hurt by a few members having Suppressors. It is more "Tsh, tsh, that is not how we did it in the old days sonny!" What did it damage? Who was hurt? I have not gotten ONE logical answer to that!! Not a single one."Just does not seem SuperStock" well I remember going to the range shooting my FIRST SuperStock rifle, the one we called Development Rifle and later Blue Twin and shooting suppressed 10/22s with a club member. I remember thinking back that long ago before even the many of the old timers were part of SuperStock "How cool would that be!"

SuperStock was supposed to be leaders. We taught the rest of the 10/22 world how to tune a 10/22 Sporter (not to mention a bunch of Ultimates back then). Even large companies followed what we were doing! Ruger knew who we were and copied our rifles to bring out the LVT. Now Ruger sells Suppressors. We USED to be the tail that wagged the dog! Now people are AFRAID to try anything new! We should be ashamed based on why and how we got this Forum running. INDY loved the way we shook things up and gave the new life to things. Now we want to be the guys that KEEP stuff from changing......

Now we have a bunch of old timers who I respect greatly that never show up in this Forum but they want to keep development of these rifles stagnant at 2009 levels and they show up to vote down any change. This greatly hurts us as a Forum. DrGunner turned around the Ultimate Forum by doing just what we did back in those glory days by showing the way to make things better. SuperStock HAS NOT BEEN MAKING THINGS BETTER since 2009.

I just do not understand this stuck in the mud point of view because we were leaders and now we are withering on the vine because only a couple NEW GUYS have been trying some crazy stuff Ricochet would have been proud of. It seems everyone else decided that "This 2009 DSP with a GMHT is the perfect SuperStock rifle no need to go on!" If anyone was responsible for getting this place going it was Ricochet and I. We ALWAYS looked to the future. When I started gathering people to get a forum we never said that at some point SuperStock was going to stop changing or stop allowing new things. I'm thinking if Ricochet was still around he would be exactly where I am. Wishing he could do this but not being able to afford it because he was shooting from a BEDROOM WINDOW!!

A suppressor would have been nice in that bedroom......

Last edited by Vincent; 07-03-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
who was hurt.... no one I know. Ashamed..... again no one I know.

The cans just don't seem to be in the spirit of SS. Lets try keeping Ricochet's name out of this.

I'll use your logic; Ruger sells suppressors so with that it makes it ok to use them in SS?

Ruger makes the SR-22, muzzle brakes, flash suppressors, pepper spray, ect. Does that mean they are allowed in SS?

I'm done, no more responses from me.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post

The cans just don't seem to be in the spirit of SS. Lets try keeping Ricochet's name out of this.

I'll use your logic; Ruger sells suppressors so with that it makes it ok to use them in SS?

Ruger makes the SR-22, muzzle brakes, flash suppressors, pepper spray, ect. Does that mean they are allowed in SS?

Well said Brother Que.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post

My use of Ruger as an example is that suppressors are going mainstream. They are no longer for a few strange guys that want to play secret agent. I would REALLY want one if I was a squirrel hunter for instance.

As far as Ricochet goes him and I had many private conversations about starting his "shooting room" and, for instance I warned him he would have big problems with mirage which he later did have big problems with the "dancin' fairies" as he called the mirage. He mentioned to me, several times, that shooting out side he often did not use hearing protection feeling his Vietnam experience damaged his hearing so badly that a 22lr did not seem to him to require hearing protection. I tried to explain to him that he was doing additional damage even if he did not notice it. He did not seem to care.

I got a phone call the night of his first full day of shooting from his room and he told me he had no idea that it was going to be so much louder shooting from the room and he had to get his ear plugs after the first group.

As for mentioning his name he was my best friend of the years I knew him even though we never met. It was not unusual to talk to him 2-4 times a week on the phone. He often expressed his concerns to me and one example is he really did not want to have the SuperStock Bolt Action Forum but he agreed with me that if we did not do someone else would and not hold it as close to SuperStock as we could if we got involved. I would rather not be told if I can talk about my friend or not.

Speaking of Ricochet some of you may remember Ricochet left me his last barrel he ever bought. It was at nemohunter's when he left us. I had his name engraved on the barrel and gold filled it and did a number of other things to build the rifle "Ricochet's Tribute" I think it was Que that sent me a VQ charging handle which I hollowed out and mounted a mosaic pin in it. I tried to make it as near to one of his rifles as I could short of dying it purple!!

When I finished the rifle I wrote that I did not feel like the owner of the rifle as much as the "custodian" that had it only until a more deserving custodian came along. That happened on my birthday, June 16th!!

The new custodian of the rifle has read some of his posts and understand my love for the man. She is my best friend in this world. She is only 31 and has graduated from Law School and is, in many ways, about as kinetic as Doug was. We were supposed to, and still may, pick a screen name, join RFC and SuperStock and she will take over the custodial responsibilities of the rifle. This year on my birthday I decided to GIVE presents rather than GET them.

She is a new shooter starting only a bit more than a year ago. She already did an unbelievable job restoring a single shot Marlin that had been in her family for longer than she has been alive and looked like most of that time it spent in the bilge of the S.S. SuperStock it was so pitted and rusty. Now it is much prettier than anything Marlin EVER made. Her pride in this job and her joy of any form of shooting along with her very scattered sense of things but also laser like abilities to apply herself reminded me so much of Ricochet I knew who the new custodian would be.

For several months I had told her about a special rifle and it's history and she is going to help me with my will soon and I told her that in that will the rifle was going to her. I gave it to her at about 2:00AM on the 16th. She was very confused saying that she thought she would get it when I passed. Then she put 1 and 1 together and got 3! She thought I might be sick and had little time left and almost broke down. I told her I am fine and she asked "Why now then?"

I told her I have plenty of 10/22 projects to keep me busy and if I waited I would not be able to see her shoot it or go shooting with her. So keep your eye out for a new member of SuperStock with a new rifle to her. I can think of no one more deserving. I told her there was a couple restrictions. One was she could never sell it but maybe 30 years from now she would find the next custodian. Two was she had to join RFC and occasionally post about what she had been doing with the rifle as this rifle represents one of the finest people any of us knew and some will remember this rifle as a true tribute to that man and they would want to know what was going on.

In this way Ricochet's memory will continue here after many of us are gone. As I said I can not imagine a better person to take care of this rifle. I think she may already be thinking of refinishing the stock which Doug would have done the first week he had it. The Revolution Trailblazer finish is very thick and murky and Ricochet loved these stocks but he hated the finish. Funny how she picked up on that right away.......

Last edited by Vincent; 07-23-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:08 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Well that's a tough post to follow. Anyways, i've not hung out with you old salts for a while now. Guess i cut my teeth and scratched that 10-22 itch and moved on. I have to say though, that this ss forum is my ideal of what a 10-22 based hangout ought to be. Yea yea, i know, there's enough opinions on that for everybody to have their own, that's just mine. Anyways, I satisfied a 50 plus year old bucket list item of having an original 10-22 carbine, that's a true tac driver, with the credit going to this forum's brotherhood, advise, coaching, and all around encouragement. My hat's off to all of you who have made ss the place it is. Regarding my "as usual" arrival to the party late, I'm perplexed as usual by the deep thought processes going into "can or no can". I am always swayed like a reed to either side by good points being made. I think if i'd made the vote, ultimately i'd have said yes. While my personal idea of what a ss ought to be is limited to "all stock parts, tweeked for best accuracy", i departed from that philosophy on my second build when i brought together an aftermarket stainless steel rcvr with a patchwork of other parts. I was very gratified to be able to submit it just the same here as a qualified ss rifle. So i can appreciate the inclusion desired by others to have their pet projects welcomed. I guess one way to see the can, as others have already touched on a bit, is that the can is simply an attachment much like a sling or scope. All else being the same, the rifle is judged accordingly.

Last edited by 284wahoo; 07-23-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

My, how things change...
You got that right and look at SuperStock now.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:59 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Changes to the original "Spirit" of SuperStock is one of the reasons I'm no longer active in this forum. I miss the original pirates and seeing a pic of Rico makes makes me miss those times even more.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:03 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Quote:
Changes to the original "Spirit" of SuperStock is one of the reasons I'm no longer active in this forum. I miss the original pirates and seeing a pic of Rico makes makes me miss those times even more.
I totally get the desire to stick with tradition here...

But suppressors are a much more integral part of rimfire shooting today, compared to years past- especially for hunters.

Would it be in keeping with the SS rules to have owners of traditional sporters that are threaded for a suppressor install a thread protector cap and photograph their rifles like that, without the can installed?

I think a big part of “what happened” to SuperStock is prevalent in Ultimates as well...
The SS forum had its roots in DIY modifications that significantly enhanced the performance of the rifle without changing its outward appearance. Nowadays, the aftermarket has grown to a point that people are more likely to completely swap out parts rather than modify them as-is. The current generation of shooters is often not as likely to tear down a trigger group and perform mods when there are drop in kits and full trigger groups available that offer guaranteed performance at an attractive price point. The same goes for barrels, bolts, and stocks. Then there’s the concept of aesthetics. I love my sporters, especially my Anschutz 1712, and would never swap out the stock because to me, it’s design is classic and timeless.
There simply aren’t as many pure fans of walnut & blue steel in a generation where black rifles are considered “cool”.

I think one way to revive this forum would be for the SS traditionalists to start perusing the other 10-22 forums and look for those noobs that are still joining RFC every day, looking for ways to enhance the performance of their 10-22. I see members all the time who pulled out their old 10-22 or just bought a new one and post threads looking for advice. You guys need to speak up and educate them; let them know that there are 3 entire subfora dedicated to inexpensive and proven methods to improving the 10-22 that doesn’t require investing hundreds of dollars in aftermarket parts. You have to speak up before all the fanboys jump in and say, “Buy Brand X barrel or trigger!”.
I’ve sent PMs to many such members over the years, but they need to actually receive the promised help and advice when they post here.

Just my $.02, FWIW

DrGunner
Old 11-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Would it be in keeping with the SS rules to have owners of traditional sporters that are threaded for a suppressor install a thread protector cap and photograph their rifles like that, without the can installed?

I have a threaded barrel on my Rem SuperStock now so lets take a vote. Anything is better than nothing at this stage IMO.

I think one way to revive this forum would be for the SS traditionalists to start perusing the other 10-22 forums and look for those noobs that are still joining RFC every day, looking for ways to enhance the performance of their 10-22. I see members all the time who pulled out their old 10-22 or just bought a new one and post threads looking for advice. You guys need to speak up and educate them; let them know that there are 3 entire subfora dedicated to inexpensive and proven methods to improving the 10-22 that doesn’t require investing hundreds of dollars in aftermarket parts. You have to speak up before all the fanboys jump in and say, “Buy Brand X barrel or trigger!”.
I’ve sent PMs to many such members over the years, but they need to actually receive the promised help and advice when they post here.

Just my $.02, FWIW

DrGunner
I don't have a 10/22 so not much help in that dept. but I can do hoo-rahs and could find some pom-poms to wave for y'all when I'm not whacking limb chickens off the bird feeder with my SS.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 11-25-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

But suppressors are a much more integral part of rimfire shooting today, compared to years past- especially for hunters.

I think a big part of “what happened” to SuperStock is prevalent in Ultimates as well...
The SS forum had its roots in DIY modifications that significantly enhanced the performance of the rifle without changing its outward appearance. Nowadays, the aftermarket has grown to a point that people are more likely to completely swap out parts rather than modify them as-is. The current generation of shooters is often not as likely to tear down a trigger group and perform mods when there are drop in kits and full trigger groups available that offer guaranteed performance at an attractive price point. The same goes for barrels, bolts, and stocks. Then there’s the concept of aesthetics. I love my sporters, especially my Anschutz 1712, and would never swap out the stock because to me, it’s design is classic and timeless.
There simply aren’t as many pure fans of walnut & blue steel in a generation where black rifles are considered “cool”.

Just my $.02, FWIW

DrGunner
Nail on the head DrGunner.

Quote:
I don't have a 10/22 so not much help in that dept.but I can do hoo-rahs and find some pom-poms to wave for y'all when I'm not whacking limb chickens off the bird feeder with my SS.
That would be a picture to be framed.
Even Remi's get a vote.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Just my $.02, FWIW

DrGunner
IMA we need a Capt. at the helm such as our past mentor Vincent, whose other hats were a cheerleader and enabler of all things 10/22 related.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
IMA we need a Capt. at the helm such as our past mentor Vincent, whose other hats were a cheerleader and enabler of all things 10/22 related.
Been crazy around my life lately. Sorry about that. You want me to put on my cheerleader skirt? Borrow some pom poms? Zip boom ba?!?

I am going to have to shave my legs...

We here at SuperStock have, among other things have lead from the chamcing a few minds about what was popular in Rimfires. Heck Ruger built copying US! But Ruger not only threads muzzles now they actually sell Suppressors! Can you imagine?!?

You know at NO place in our guidelines say a SuperStock rifle has to be pretty. No where. So if the argument is they make the rifle ugly, so what? Many of our early attempts were ugly including 1 or 2 of mine!!

Now where are those darn pom poms?