Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 PM
lone gunman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

I got this email from Winchester today and thought I would help get the word out.

Olin Winchester, LLC is recalling two (2) lots of 17 HMR

PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE: WINCHESTER® Super-X 17 HMR 20 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Olin Winchester, LLC is recalling two (2) lots of 17 HMR 20 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Rimfire rifle ammunition.

Symbol: X17HMR1
Lot Numbers (last four characters): NB51 and NB61
Winchester has determined the above lots of 17 HMR ammunition may contain no powder charges. Ammunition with no powder charges may result in a bullet remaining in the barrel (i.e., a bullet-in-bore obstruction). Firing a subsequent bullet into the bore obstruction could cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® 17 HMR 20 GRAIN JHP SYMBOL X17HMR1 THAT HAS A LOT NUMBER ENDING IN NB51 or NB61. The ammunition Lot Number is stamped on the top of the 1000-round case and the outside of the 50-round plastic box as indicated here.

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol and Lot Number. If it is Symbol X17HMR1 and the last four characters of the Lot Number are NB51 or NB61, immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 844-653-8358 for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol X17HMR1 with Lot Numbers ending in NB51 and NB61. Other Symbols or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 17 HMR rimfire rifle ammunition recall, please call toll-free 844-653-8358, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 | Attn: X17HMR1 Recall), or visit our website at www.winchester.com.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

WINCHESTER
September 12, 2019

Copyright © 2019 Winchester Ammunition, All rights reserved.
Thank you for signing up to receive Winchester's Newsletter. We send great promotional deals, product announcements, and hunting content.

Our mailing address is:
Winchester Ammunition
600 Powder Mill Road
East Alton, IL 62024
Old 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for that LG.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was going to buy one box of that ammo last week to see what it would do but the local farm & ranch supply was out and no one locally has any 20 grain HMR except them. Now I'm glad they were out of it.

Academy Sports came to my rescue by internet. They had CCI 20 grain available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 04:33 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
your welcome Al, and Arrowhead glad you missed out too. I would hate to see someone hurt from this.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 AM
COBrien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Direct link: https://winchester.com/support/customers/X17HMR1-Recall

Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM
John E Davies

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to John E Davies
What date does the code refer to? Is this recall just for freshly manufactured ammo or do we need to go through our old stock?

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA
Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Probably worth posing that question to Winchester. Contact info below. Let us know what you find out.

Quote:
If you have any questions concerning this 17 HMR rimfire rifle ammunition recall, please call toll-free 844-653-8358, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 | Attn: X17HMR1 Recall), or visit our website at www.winchester.com.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:16 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Recall refers to specific lot numbers,
found printed on the sides of the plastic boxes

Type: X17HMR1

Lot Numbers (last four characters): NB51 and NB61
Old 10-08-2019, 11:14 AM
new cal shooter
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a range member was having all kinds of trouble with his 17hmr, it was acting very strange. He was shooting this Winchester ammo, the bullet had zero neck tension. you touch the bullet and it fell into the case. Not good when you have a henry lever gun in 17hmr or a semi-auto at in 17hmr. He was glad to know about the recall because he had purchased a lot of it.

Thanks to Y'all for posting!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Takoha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
winchester recall

Hi all
I just sent 765 rounds back to Winchester. I sent it back because the brass split where is necked down, then would have to be dug out as it would not eject. Also had that problem with the bullet slipping back into the case with merely a touch on the top of the bullet. Now I read where there is a problem with no powder...what in the world is becoming of the great Winchester Co.
I think I know, and at 72 years on it aggravates me to no end. A friend is ramrodding the job building a new water plant near me and we were talking about the quality of help he can get now days. Can find help and good help doesn't exist anymore. Maybe Winchester is suffering that same problem.
Until next time Erie lakawanna
Old 10-31-2019, 08:09 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure why anyone buys .17HMR Winchester. They have had troubles for at least 5 years. I sent some back shortly after it came out because of split necks and bullets which would fall into the cases.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Winchester Firearms is NOT Winchester Ammo. Ammo is an Olin Corp, a major defense contractor. This should concern us beyond the 17HMR.

Winchester Repeating is someone else now.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Binford
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fabulous... I have four boxes of this ammo that I got a factory rebate on. To qualify for the rebate, I had to remove the portion of the label with the UPC barcodes on it and send it in. If you notice from the picture above of the label on the 50-round box, that’s where the lot number is! So I have no idea what lot number my boxes are!

What I did was weigh each box and the weights were all exactly the same. Then I weighed a few boxes of another brand’s 20-grain JHP ammo and it was within a few grams. If mine were of these lots and had no powder charges, even in one or two rounds, I think the weight would have been different. So I’m confident enough to keep these and use them at the range, only with a greater than usual alertness for a squib.