New Mark XXII - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM
johnbe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mark XXII

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Whats the test target look like?
Never found the box. A gunsmith told me to bring it in and they'd diagnose and fix it for me. I'd probably have to go that route regardless what the test target revealed. I've owned the gun 11 years and it's just been taking up space in my safe. Time to deal with it.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 2007 version was disappointing at first regarding accuracy. Until I realized the action screw was loose. It shot as I expected after that, although I can't shoot it as well as the test target indicates. It shoots neck & neck with my CZ 452 American, with a slight edge to the XXII, but not quite as well as my CZ 452 Full Stock. I was upset with that at first, after all, it is an Anschutz, but then I had a Glimpse of the Blindingly Obvious and realized I had not one but three rifles that shot very, very well in my hands. The only downside is that the XXII cost about the same as both CZs combined. But neither can match its looks.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post
Never found the box. A gunsmith told me to bring it in and they'd diagnose and fix it for me. I'd probably have to go that route regardless what the test target revealed. I've owned the gun 11 years and it's just been taking up space in my safe. Time to deal with it.
Probably a good thing you kept it, the value after they stopped making them jumped and now circa 2019 the 1416 Anschutz Sporting Rifles (same action) are also no longer being made and that may not hurt value. You won't lose a penny taking that gun to a Smith (had you not had the gun in the first place). Have the Smith adjust the trigger for you.

Had you tried the ole dollar bill trick to see if the barrel is floating? I'd immediately loosen the action screws first and re tighten making sure the bore was centered in the channel before you do the dollar bill test. Do not crank down on those screws when alternately re tightening and snug the rear screw first before the forward, toward the forearm screw. Torque them on the order of "Inch Pounds" not Foot Pounds.

Why would I adjust the action screws? Because I believe these can be sent from the factory way too tight! You'll probably darn near need a breaker bar in order to break them loose.

Last edited by NIB; 11-02-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:44 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Probably a good thing you kept it, the value after they stopped making them jumped and now circa 2019 the 1416 Anschutz Sporting Rifles (same action) are also no longer being made and that may not hurt value.

Yep. Some of the bolt Mark XXIIs sell for almost ridiculous money, and others get listed for seriously ridiculous money. You won't lose money if you do sell it.

Why would I adjust the action screws? Because I believe these can be sent from the factory way too tight! You'll probably darn near need a breaker bar in order to break them loose.

The action screws on mine came from the factory so loose I could take them out using my fingertips. Dopey me for not checking that when I got the gun.
Nice guns.