Old 10-31-2019, 12:42 PM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
JC Higgins is likely a high standard.
They sure look much alike! Here is my High Standard Sentinel R101. Beyond seven yards it shoots high and left.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:42 PM
BigLoop22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ladies & gents,

At one time, Sears owned High Standard. They sold several High Standard guns under Sears names, including shotguns, rifles, and those revolvers.

BigLoop22
Old 12-13-2019, 08:25 PM
22shooters

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The J.C.Higgens 88 was designed for Sears . High Standard sold the gun under their name as the Sentinel.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:08 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walked into the PS closest to my house today and it was BARE...
Said folks were buying all sorts of things with Stimulus checks.

Give it a few weeks, folks will be pawning all that new stuff they got soon.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:24 AM
VincentG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice catch on the HS revolvers. I have 3 local pawn shops that I frequent often enough that they know me. I collect quite a variety of things, so I always seem to walk out with something. There is a small solid brass fire extinguisher in one that may someday be mine, but right now it is priced way to high and the longer it sits, the likelier they will want to move it. Everything starts off being there 30 days before it is out and for sale. This Iver Johnson Supershot came with a holster and had a "bubba" grip on it for $75, I paid $30 on fleabay for a correct vintage grip with screw, the Chassepot sabre/bayonet was $40 at the same shop here in Venice. When my wife and I travel we always hit the pawn shops, if you are ever driving in the Florida Keys there are two pawn shops on Key Largo that are must see, one is a Jack and Jill, which we run across often and the other is so high end it will blow you away, both on the Sea side of the Overseas Highway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg favorite.jpg (51.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CHASSEPOT1.jpg (37.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-26-2020, 10:05 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had a HS Sentinel when I was in HS. I don't recall who I bought it from. Probably one of my classmates. Irrc, I paid $20 for it. I could put a big Folgers 3 lb. coffee can on top of a steel post and make it ring 100 yd.s away. I carried that pistol all the time hunting or fishing. I became pretty accomplished doing a quick draw and thumbing the hammer with my left hand. I have told this story before, but I swear it is the truth. I was going back to my car from fishing on a path through shoulder high ragweed. I was watching the trail because there were a lot of copperheads along the river.

I was taking a step when a copperhead came out onto the trail virtually right under my foot. I shot that *&^%* that snake 3 times before I came back down from a one legged high jump. Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I don't remember what happened to that pistol. I believe it was stolen along with my other weapons my freshman year in college in 1959. They were all family hand downs except for the HS and a Win. 62 I had bought with my own earned money from detasseling corn in 1955. Someone broke into my mother's house while she was working. My brother lost his trombone, record player, and the SOB also took my 3 horse Evinrude outboard motor my grandmother had given me for HS graduation. We never recovered anything. We did learn the thief was a Ft. Leonard Wood soldier who had gone AWOL.

VH
Old 04-29-2020, 08:24 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 2 1/2 inch barrel R108 I have had many years. Two things have surprised me about that gun, how well I can hit with it and even more the going price for these now. Wow

John
Old 05-17-2020, 09:47 AM
biblethumpncop
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to biblethumpncop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
Walked into the PS closest to my house today and it was BARE...
Said folks were buying all sorts of things with Stimulus checks.

Give it a few weeks, folks will be pawning all that new stuff they got soon.
I went to a pawn shop this week and got a worn Ruger old model Single Six for $111, which was $117 out the door. That was about 30% less than the price tag.

As I was talking to the clerk, he said they had sold a lot of guns at the beginning of the panicdemic, and they were seeing people bring them back and sell / pawn the same guns already.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:23 PM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
this one was reduced to 400.00. S&W 34 .22lr it had to come home with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSCN9930.JPG (363.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RSCN9931 (1).JPG (263.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-17-2020, 01:32 PM
DoneDeere

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are many good deals at pawn shops. My deal was about a year ago, found a nice old model Blackhawk .357 with a 3 diget serial number made in 1955. It was never converted in nice condition. Price was listed at 800 dollars, I offered 500 and they took it.... A beautiful revolver.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My local pawn shop owner shared with me that he makes enough money just on the pawn interest to stay in business.

Retail sales through the store is just "Gravy"

I really like my Sentinel revolver too! Great old high standards