Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 PM
shaun1826

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 WSM vs 17 HMR vs 17 Hornet suppressed

Anybody have experience with how the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet compare sound wise to 17 HMR suppressed? I’ve heard 17 HMR suppressed and it is not bad, but have not heard the other two.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:28 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eric Meyer is our expert on that.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:43 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have all three and shoot all three suppressed. As you can imagine, the HMR is the quietest and the Hornet is the loudest, with the WSM in the middle. If you shot all three side by side and one at a time you'd be able to hear a slight difference in them, but they are still very quiet and easily hearing safe with no ear protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 11:44 PM
shaun1826

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the responses. I was priarie dog hunting with a guy using a bolt action 17 hmr with suppressor. I’m really looking to buy a semi auto Volquartsen 17 WSM or HMR and was wanting to know what to expect sound wise with those being semi auto vs a bolt gun. If I go the 17 hornet route, it of course would be bolt action. I will be using a suppressor no matter which I go with.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:10 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun1826 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was priarie dog hunting with a guy using a bolt action 17 hmr with suppressor. Iím really looking to buy a semi auto Volquartsen 17 WSM or HMR and was wanting to know what to expect sound wise with those being semi auto vs a bolt gun. If I go the 17 hornet route, it of course would be bolt action. I will be using a suppressor no matter which I go with.
If the 17 Hornet is one that you are considering, I would highly recommend it over the 17 HMR or 17 WSM.

In fact, if I didn't still have multiple cases of 17 HMR ammo sitting on the shelf, I probably wouldn't even own a 17 HMR anymore.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:26 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
B23, l tend to agree with your opinion of the 17 hmr. after acquiring my 17 WSM. When it comes to the 17 Hornet (witch IMO is a great cal.) but if you donít reload it can become a lot more expensive to shoot than the WSM.

I have all three calibers, but if l where to get rid of one it would be the 17 Hornet. Just for the simple reason of cost of ammo and l really prefer the semi auto in the PD field.

shaun1826, l donít have any of mine suppressed, but think it would be great. I just donít want to go through the hassle and expense to do it.

Just my 2 cents
Wonderdog1
Old 10-27-2019, 11:46 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post
B23, l tend to agree with your opinion of the 17 hmr. after acquiring my 17 WSM. When it comes to the 17 Hornet (witch IMO is a great cal.) but if you donít reload it can become a lot more expensive to shoot than the WSM.

I have all three calibers, but if l where to get rid of one it would be the 17 Hornet. Just for the simple reason of cost of ammo and l really prefer the semi auto in the PD field.

shaun1826, l donít have any of mine suppressed, but think it would be great. I just donít want to go through the hassle and expense to do it.

Just my 2 cents
Wonderdog1
For very high volume shooting, like we have out west, when shooting sage rats, the 17 HMR is definitely the cheapest to shoot and they do a good job of exploding them.

The 17 WSM is still relatively inexpensive to shoot, especially, if you use sites like ammoseek and look for the best deals on ammo then buy it in bulk. Also, the WSM extends you effective range over the HMR and explodes the little ground squirrels even better.

PD's are a fair bit bigger than our sage rats and sometimes can be a little smarter and get gun shy after they've been shot at so the "close ones" can end up being 150++ yards away and for me, that's when the 17 Hornet really starts to shine. And, shooting them close can get a little boring after a few hours of doing it so I find it a lot more fun to pick them off as far out there as I can. The Hornet effectively extends your range a good amount over any of the rimfires.

If you shoot a 17 Hornet but don't reload, save all of your brass and put it up for sale. Usually once fired 17 Hornet brass sells pretty quick and it'll help you recoup some of your money for new ammo.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:46 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I totally agree!

Wonderdog1
Old 10-30-2019, 10:50 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If the 17 Hornet is one that you are considering, I would highly recommend it over the 17 HMR or 17 WSM.

In fact, if I didn't still have multiple cases of 17 HMR ammo sitting on the shelf, I probably wouldn't even own a 17 HMR anymore.
Yep. LAXAmmo.com has great prices on 17 Hornet ammo too.

My results on the three rounds suppressed :

PEW - 17 Hornet
pew - 17WSM
pew - 17HMR
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post

PEW - 17 Hornet
pew - 17WSM
pew - 17HMR
LOL

That was brilliant, well played. I nearly spit coffee out my nose when I read it.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:11 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
LOL

That was brilliant, well played. I nearly spit coffee out my nose when I read it.
Yeah on that! It was said plain short in a nutshell.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:57 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Yep. LAXAmmo.com has great prices on 17 Hornet ammo too.

PEW - 17 Hornet
pew - 17WSM
pew - 17HMR
Well said, State Farm!!!!! Now that was just funny!!!
Rick
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04 AM
T Picard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have all 3 calibers. The VQ 17WSM is the funnest to shoot suppressed. WSM ammo can be bought cheaper than the others also. I load for the Hornet but it's a pain for me. As I load for 17 FB & 17 Mach IV. So I have enough tinys to load.