JSR and Eley SSHP ammo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2019, 12:16 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
JSR and Eley SSHP ammo



Log in to see fewer ads
Was not really sure where to put this, so here goes.....

I have a JSR with a Weaver Classic Extreme 4-16x50 scope in Leupold rings with Leupold bases, that I wanted to tune up for squirrels. As such I wanted to shoot Eley SSHP ammo. Oh, yea, the trigger is pulling at about 10 oz's.

I have a fresh brick of this ammo and have been shooting it at 25 yards off a bipod front rest and a back bag just to get an idea of what its going to do.

The rifle will print 3 shot groups into a ragged hole and the all of a sudden it will throw one an inch out, not in any specific direction. This does not happen every time. In fact, there are times when I can go two or three groups without any problems.

I absolutely love this rifle and this ammo. However if an ammo change is what needs to happen I can do that.

I really am beginning to think its me more then the ammo or rifle. I am going to try some different ammo today and see what happens but thought I would ask here first if anyone else has had any experience like this with this ammo and this rifle.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,012,092
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How'd it shoot just before changing ammo? I doubt its you. 1" @ 25 yds is really a lot! Try different ammo and borescope it for a carbon ring would be the first things I'd try. And try the new stuff in a different rifle. That said if its the ammo Eley owes you a brick IMO.
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2019, 07:10 PM
NVaVettes
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Posts: 
589
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Possible feeding issue?

Where its safe, run a few magazines full thru the action like you normally would
WITHOUT FIRING.

Catch the ejected shells in something soft and inspect the lead very carefully for any
deformation, nicks, cuts, gouges, flat spots, etc . . . anything other than signs of engagement of the driving bands.

Although the shells may feed, they may occasionally not feed cleanly without getting nicked up.

If you find one or more nicks, try again to see if you can figure out if its from a particular
position in the magazine, ie first, last, etc.

1" off at 25yds seems to suggest something significant.

Good Luck!

Don
__________________
NRA Benefactor
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 AM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
How'd it shoot just before changing ammo? I doubt its you. 1" @ 25 yds is really a lot! Try different ammo and borescope it for a carbon ring would be the first things I'd try. And try the new stuff in a different rifle. That said if its the ammo Eley owes you a brick IMO.
Al the Infidel:

Cleaned the bore hard today. Still got the same results. Will check other ammo tomorrow. I am beginning to wonder bout the scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaVettes View Post
Where its safe, run a few magazines full thru the action like you normally would
WITHOUT FIRING. Catch the ejected shells in something soft and inspect the lead very carefully for any deformation, nicks, cuts, gouges, flat spots, etc . . . anything other than signs of engagement of the driving bands.

Although the shells may feed, they may occasionally not feed cleanly without getting nicked up.

1" off at 25yds seems to suggest something significant.

Good Luck! Don
NVaVettes:

I have checked the rounds and all seem in order. As I said above, I am beginning to wonder about the scope and mounts and really, still me. I have to wonder if the scope cross hairs are too thick coupled with my trigger work. I am going to try some other ammo first and then change mounts, rings and scope. I should EDIT Its about 1/2 inch out. Its still a dead squirrel but not 10x.....

Thanks both of you.....

I guess we shall see. I really love this gun.
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)

Last edited by huntschool; 10-29-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2019, 11:21 AM
drover's Avatar
drover
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2003
Posts: 
624
TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Take the bipod off and put the rifle on a good solid rest, it is very difficult to get great groups from a bipod. All it takes is a little too much shoulder pressure, or even gripping the gun different that causes a bipod to "load" so that rifle recoils differently. If a bipod was conducive to benchrest accuracy you would see the benchrest shooters using them rather than a solid rest.

Three shot groups are fairly easy to shoot well, which is the reason for a 5-shot group to test for accuracy. It is not unusual to shoot a decent 3-shot group and then tense up for the 4th or 5th shot and ruin a perfectly good group. You stated that the flyers are random - to me that points to the shooter, not the rifle or ammo.

drover
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:14 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Take the bipod off and put the rifle on a good solid rest, it is very difficult to get great groups from a bipod. All it takes is a little too much shoulder pressure, or even gripping the gun different that causes a bipod to "load" so that rifle recoils differently. If a bipod was conducive to benchrest accuracy you would see the benchrest shooters using them rather than a solid rest.

Three shot groups are fairly easy to shoot well, which is the reason for a 5-shot group to test for accuracy. It is not unusual to shoot a decent 3-shot group and then tense up for the 4th or 5th shot and ruin a perfectly good group. You stated that the flyers are random - to me that points to the shooter, not the rifle or ammo.

drover
drover:

Wow.... thanks for the slap on the head (LOL). I never even considered the bipod. You are so right. I will try that first. I am just so confident in my bipods that I never even thought of that and yes, there are times when I get overly "friendly" with the gun.

Thanks.... Very much. Sometimes one can not see what's right in front of them and looks in all other directions.
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
Oregon
Posts: 
10,967
TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Cant remember but I think you have had the rifle awhile now. Have you checked the torque on the action screws? My JSR shot poorly when I bought it. The action screws were barely tightened from factory. After tightening screws it shoots fine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
Cant remember but I think you have had the rifle awhile now. Have you checked the torque on the action screws? My JSR shot poorly when I bought it. The action screws were barely tightened from factory. After tightening screws it shoots fine.
HUSHKABOOM:

Yes sir.... I got them on the money. Thanks for the reminder.

I think drover has hit on something as I do tend to "get into the gun" at times. Especially when I am getting po'ed at my shooting or something like that. Old guy trying too hard.... LOL

If I can beat the rain this afternoon late I am going to give the front bag idea a try.... We'll see what happens.
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:46 PM
TripleC

Join Date: 
Jun 2016
Location: 
Lovers Lane, NM
Posts: 
152
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
huntschool - I use the ELEY SSHP in several different rifles. It has been a consistent performer in my rifles. I have been trying the CCI Suppressor with a 45 grain bullet and 970 fps. It's looking promising, but it hasn't replaced the Eley SSHP - yet. Just my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2019, 05:30 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
huntschool - I use the ELEY SSHP in several different rifles. It has been a consistent performer in my rifles. I have been trying the CCI Suppressor with a 45 grain bullet and 970 fps. It's looking promising, but it hasn't replaced the Eley SSHP - yet. Just my experience.
TripleC:

As of now, I dont really think its the ammo. There is so much variation in POI. As I mentioned above, I think drover may well have hit the mark. I'll know more when I shoot the gun "bagged".

Thanks for your comment.
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2019, 05:02 PM
ricky9x22's Avatar
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2002
Location: 
Lebanon, Illinois
Posts: 
251
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
TripleC:

As of now, I dont really think its the ammo. There is so much variation in POI. As I mentioned above, I think drover may well have hit the mark. I'll know more when I shoot the gun "bagged".

Thanks for your comment.
better dig out your long johns now if you shoot this weekend!
Hope you find the answer with sand bagging the rifle!
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Phil in Alabama's Avatar
Phil in Alabama

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
world of pain
Posts: 
6,440
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
They're terrible in my Kimber. I question the overall quality of the Eley hunting ammo. Example, two sellers Marks Outdoor Sports and (ugh) Dicks, had/have large amounts of both high velocity and subsonic hp's that wouldn't sell even at half price. Marks (in Birmingham AL) still has many bricks of both fro $50 a brick, collecting dust. At that price, there is a reason for poor sales.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2019, 07:06 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
They're terrible in my Kimber. I question the overall quality of the Eley hunting ammo. Example, two sellers Marks Outdoor Sports and (ugh) Dicks, had/have large amounts of both high velocity and subsonic hp's that wouldn't sell even at half price. Marks (in Birmingham AL) still has many bricks of both fro $50 a brick, collecting dust. At that price, there is a reason for poor sales.
Phil in Alabama:

I am not really defending this ammo but.... I think it might be once bitten,,, The going price on this ammo is a bit higher compared to everyday 22 ammo which I would think makes a difference to the average Joe as far as sales go. I would drop $100.00 for two bricks right now. Sorry to hear it does not shoot well out of your Kimber.

This stuff shoots lights out in my Annie 1710 DK L and my Ruger 10/22 LVT as well as my new CZ 457.

I think drover may have hit it for this JSR in that I do get into my guns and the bipod may have torqued enough to create my problem. I was unable to check this yesterday or today due to bad weather but I will as soon as I can and will report back.
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2019, 07:09 PM
huntschool's Avatar
huntschool

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Southern-most Illinois
Posts: 
549
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky9x22 View Post
better dig out your long johns now if you shoot this weekend!
Hope you find the answer with sand bagging the rifle!
Rick
ricky9x22:

If I cant get it done by end of day tomorrow It will have to wait until next week. Got a busy weekend.

Did you see those pics I PM'ed you ?
__________________
Bruce A. Hering
Southeastern Illinois College (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 PM
ricky9x22's Avatar
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2002
Location: 
Lebanon, Illinois
Posts: 
251
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
ricky9x22:

If I cant get it done by end of day tomorrow It will have to wait until next week. Got a busy weekend.

Did you see those pics I PM'ed you ?
Yes I did, those are so very nice groups... I would be very happy with those for sure!!!
Rick
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x