Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation New Family Member

With Three MkIVs and Two MkIIs, just had to have a Mk Standard! After a sweet deal with Dury's Gun Shop (San Antonio LGS), obtained a 1976 Bicentennial "200th Year of American Liberty" 4 3\4" Standard RST4, my first blued Ruger Mk rimfire! Pics looked good in their on line store, but the surprise was the 98% great condition of the finish. Realized that it had never been taken apart and cleaned in 43 years, but functioned just fine! After 2 hours of detailing everything inside and out, IMHO she's a wonderful find with sharp, clean rifling...not bad for a used 43 yr old RF!!

Dropped in a MkII Target Trigger, a MkIII Hammer and a MkIV VQ Sear. Pull is now 1.5#, overall travel is 3/32" (1/32" PT-Break-2/32" OT) and the solid wall breaks-like-glass...a Really Sweet Action that is very similar to my accurized MkII's and MkIV's...Amazing!

I added some wooden grips and took pics...is it hard to tell I'm a New Proud Pappa?!!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 10-03-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
that is beautiful , congrats
Old 10-02-2019, 08:28 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
The grips look great on it. Congrats!!!
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"200th Year of American Liberty" Mark I

Theo98 - Great looking "200th Year of American Liberty" Mark I & nice work on the action parts to end up with a great trigger. I picked up a new Mark III SS Target a couple of weeks ago and the trigger is 5 lbs . . . Needless to say we need to work on that one.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:28 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

SQ10, RC, and RJ...Thanks for the kind comments!

RJ,

My mentioned Standard action mods were what worked for me with my Ruger MkIV Hunter & 22\45 Lite, and a MkII Standard these past 17 months. Since the AM drop-ins got performances where I wanted to go, the untouched OEM parts are stored for safe keeping!

However, with the combo of the VQ Sear (lighter pull) and MkIII Hammer (shallower contact notch=zero creep), I had to add to the safety hook's front hold blade to positively eliminate ANY sear forward movement while pulling the trigger with a locked safety. Thus, I do not recommend my full accurizations to achieve these target trigger results!!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 10-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Another Newbie!

Received a 1978 MkI 6 7/8" Heavy Taper blued Ruger yesterday. Action, lower, upper and bore were clean, but had some work to do on the bolt (wasn't clean at all). Trigger is an AMT with OT screw (not shown is these pics). Had to fit the disconnector as AMT trigger reset wasn't consistent. Hammer and sear were honed to a fine 1.75# crisp break and the overall action had very little travel and no creep! Rifling looks Sharp and Shinny!

Cleaned the blued exterior and it looks real good, except for the back of the grip area to the right of the seated main spring...blued finish is worn off. My winning bid was half of what these models typically go for, so what I got for the investment I'm happy with. Doesn't look too bad, but need to decide if I should send in to Ruger for a re-firb + blued face-lift!?!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch.jpg (194.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger MkI Heavy Taper 6.825 Inch-2.jpg (200.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
...Cleaned the blued exterior and it looks real good, except for the back of the grip area to the right of the seated main spring...blued finish is worn off. My winning bid was half of what these models typically go for, so what I got for the investment I'm happy with. Doesn't look too bad, but need to decide if I should send in to Ruger for a re-firb + blued face-lift!?!

Ted
Spoke to Ruger and they want the whole gun intacted to do a refirb and rebluing!? Spoke to a local gunsmith friend who came to my workshop and showed me how a good cold-blue product (Beechwood Casey Super Blue) would "touch-up" and blend the back grip area with the rest of my MkI.

Since the upper and 95% of the lower were in great condition, ended up using his technique and the results were Very Satisfying! IMO, now No need to send to Ruger!!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger MkI Target Bluing Missing!.JPG (408.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger MkI Target Bluing Fixed!.jpg (172.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-24-2019, 12:07 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
that was a good move - these often come back with replaced parts you might not want , not to say its a bad thing in every case , just sayin for what you needed , it was a great remedy
Old 10-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98
Spoke to a local gunsmith friend who came to my workshop and showed me how a good cold-blue product (Beechwood Casey Super Blue) would "touch-up" and blend the back grip area with the rest of my MkI.

Since the upper and 95% of the lower were in great condition, ended up using his technique and the results were Very Satisfying! IMO, now No need to send to Ruger!!

Ted
Yep. I love Super Blue and use it quite often when modifying or restoring blued guns. It's a great product. Just a hint I picked up from the web - steel takes a darker blue if you wet the cleaned metal with water and let it sit a couple minutes before applying the blue.

BTW- Why in the world did you replace the nice RST4 hammer with a MKIII version?
Old 10-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Yep. I love Super Blue and use it quite often when modifying or restoring blued guns. It's a great product. Just a hint I picked up from the web - steel takes a darker blue if you wet the cleaned metal with water and let it sit a couple minutes before applying the blue.

BTW- Why in the world did you replace the nice RST4 hammer with a MKIII version?
TE,

Thanks for the bluing tip!

Well, just like the MkII hammer notches (.032" depth) and the MkIV (.027"), the Standard's hammer notch (.033") yielded too much creep. The MkIII's notch is near perfect, coming in at .023" and offering virtually no creep with a simple drop-in!

Now, my older MkII Comp Target (accurized by Ruger for me in 94') has a target hammer notch of just .020" and a wall break that is 2nd to None! When you hit your pull weight, it surprise snaps very sharply, every time! My last acquisition, the MkI Target, arrived with that same Ruger .020" Target hammer notch and the Same snapping action break!!

Ted
Old 10-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
virtually no creep with a simple drop-in!
I see.

You know, creep isn't just a function of the hammer notch. It's also how far the sear rotates back as it goes into that notch. That's the problem with every aftermarket bushing that was made for the MKIII hammer. They produced a TON of creep because they were made with a 3/8" bushing shoulder. The MKII style bushings are made with a 7/16" shoulder, which produce far less creep. I assume you added the MKIII hammer while reusing the original bushing.

I'll admit that I trashed a couple of hammers and sears figuring out how to produce the absolute minimum of creep. The larger bushing shoulder gives an engagement starting point of about .023-.025". From there, you have to trim either the hammer or the sear. I target a finished product of .015". Any less, and you start to have safety and/or reliability issues. I want no creep, but also no "hair trigger" or failures to cock.

For my MKIII, I reduced the hammer notch on a MKII hammer after installing ball bearings for rotation. I cut a MKII bushing down to make positioning guides that also limit the sear engagement, and I removed the nub that disables the safety when the hammer rotates forward. The result is a no (perceivable) creep, full weight hammer that has no friction. Combined with a reshaped firing pin - it never fails with any brand or quality of ammo.

For my MKII, I split a VQ sear and reduced the engagement surface to minimize the creep. If you don't split the sear before the reduction, all you accomplish is transferring all your overtravel into pretravel. You get no creep reduction and end up with a hammer that won't release. That was a hard-learned lesson. Other than the sear, the rest of this hammer group was left with the stock design (but upgraded to a Clark bushing/pin set). It's another no-creep trigger, but the pistol behaves "normally".
Old 10-28-2019, 09:40 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I see.

You know, creep isn't just a function of the hammer notch. It's also how far the sear rotates back as it goes into that notch. That's the problem with every aftermarket bushing that was made for the MKIII hammer. They produced a TON of creep because they were made with a 3/8" bushing shoulder. The MKII style bushings are made with a 7/16" shoulder, which produce far less creep. I assume you added the MKIII hammer while reusing the original bushing...
Yes!

Ted