Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:13 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's Your Newsfeed?

How do you get your daily news?

I use a few different places (local station web site, google news, etc) and keep getting "drop the ad blocker" messages when I click on stories.

Not letting my firewall down.

What do you use? I'm not looking for an echo chamber and I prefer to do my own thinking. I'd say "just the facts, ma'am" but I suspect that's not possible.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 AM
JVStalin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Can I play , too ?

PBS Newshour plus BBC World Service plus China Daily News in equal measure ; add a pinch of Al Jazzera ; shake well with ice , strain , serve ! God Bless the Internet !
Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I read Fox News and Drudge every morning. Occasionally check the CNN web site to see what the enemy is thinking. Also check NRA-ILA every day. Casper WY Star Tribune newspaper daily. Local news website daily.

Fox News is on most of the day, watch ABC news every evening for the other side's story.

Other than that I am completely in the dark.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 PM
djcnaz01
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx D'jinn View Post

I use a few different places (local station web site, google news, etc) and keep getting "drop the ad blocker" messages when I click on stories.

Most of the time, but not all, if you can stop the website loading after the main page it will stop the ad blocker junk. So, if you see an ad blocker, just reload the page and stop it loading after the main page loads or starts to load. It may take a few trials before you get good at it.

Firefox has an "X" up in the left hand corner to stop the loading, then a semicircle with an arrow on it to reload.

It's a royal pain in the patoot!
djc
Old 10-17-2019, 02:28 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MSN is my home page. ABC eyewitness news, ABC world news tonight with David Muir and the NY Times on weekends for the Magazine, Real Estate, Arts and Leisure, Metropolitan and business.
......Tom Petty
Old 10-17-2019, 02:43 PM
JMKnowles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Online for me I check out Breitbart News, and Alex Jones "Infowars".

Local news Houston's KTRK 13 (ABC affiliate)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
...the NY Times on weekends for the Magazine, Real Estate, Arts and Leisure, Metropolitan and business.
Does the Sunday NY Times still weigh a ton? My millennial son prefers the Times when using print media.

I used to enjoy the crossword puzzle.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:42 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
None of the Lame stream media, IE no network news, now that Shep's gone I MIGHT watch a little FOX but I'm doubting it.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
I read Fox News and Drudge every morning. Occasionally check the CNN web site to see what the enemy is thinking. Also check NRA-ILA every day. Casper WY Star Tribune newspaper daily. Local news website daily.

Fox News is on most of the day, watch ABC news every evening for the other side's story.

Other than that I am completely in the dark.
Kinda like that but adding PBS if they aren't belaboring something. I'll watch Lester but not the beginning when NBC is grinding their same olde axe.

Al the Flipper
Old 10-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I'm seeing lots of partisan-press recommendations here.

Quote:
Me either. The ads are obnoxious. Noisy. Get in the way of what I'm trying to read. Plant cookies that follow me around the net giving me targeted ads every where I go. No thanks. If the site pops up telling me to turn off my ad-blocker I go to settings menu and tell google to stop giving me news from that source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcnaz01 View Post
Most of the time, but not all, if you can stop the website loading after the main page it will stop the ad blocker junk. So, if you see an ad blocker, just reload the page and stop it loading after the main page loads or starts to load. It may take a few trials before you get good at it.

Quote:
News? Different from commentary and analysis, eh? (aka spin and opinion)

Home page on ye olde computer is the google news feed. Nowadays I have to skim half-way down the page to find the local news, skipping past all the celebrity gossip and sports news. Wish I could find a way to just take them off the feed.

Nowadays what passes for national news, at the top of the page, is mostly commentary and opinion so I breeze past that pretty quickly too. The world news section sometimes gives me hints about what to search for elsewhere but it's usually just more commentary.

For good old fashioned "just the facts, ma'am" summaries I turn to One America News Network, both on the TV and the web. You'll see news covered there not being covered by any of the so-called mainstream outlets, conservative or liberal. Undeniable conservative slant but not over the top, especially if you stick to their news programs rather than their opinion shows.

https://www.oann.com/

Now, what you probably didn't expect to hear is that I find reddit to be the best source of "breaking news." It's raw reporting rather any summation -- spot reports vs intelligence summaries -- and comes with the bias of the person making the post but you'll see it there before you see it on TV or google. Case in point, I was reading about the Kurds making nice with Assad days ago while US media outlets were still trying to find Kobani on a map. You just have to find the "subs," as redditors call them, that cover the topics that interest you.

Last edited by Sophia; 10-17-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Does the Sunday NY Times still weigh a ton? My millennial son prefers the Times when using print media.

I used to enjoy the crossword puzzle.
The Sunday times comes on Saturday. Yeah, it can be pretty heavy. The crossword puzzle is in the magazine section which I give to my fox news 24/7 Aunt. She likes crosswords. I just get the weekend delivery for like $24 a month?? I like reading the paper with breakfast on Saturday morning. Sunday is a small paper.
......Tom Petty
Old 10-17-2019, 04:31 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alrighty then...

Yeah, thanks for the replies so far.

I'm not looking for partisanship in my news, I have no "checking on the enemy". By the time things get to many outlets it has already been spun and sanitized for their purposes and I wouldn't even know what I didn't know if I didn't check a few sources.

It's amazing how sometimes one single, lousy, inconvenient fact makes me change my mind about something and it's usually up to me to find it.

Thanks Sophia, sounds like you're going through exactly what I'm going through. I'll check out the OANN nd see what it's like.

Meanwhile, still listening...
Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't watch any news on TV. I buy no newspapers.

I check Fox and USA Today each morning on the web.

I read all with a block of salt.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:07 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe "journalists" have joined the ranks of used car salesmen and insurance sales people.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:08 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My favorite is the X22 Report. Two reports every weekday evening on youtube, an economic and geopolitical report. It balances out the leftwing anti-Trump slant most common on the MSM. It's somewhat out there in conspiracy land which may or may not be true. Many other independent channels on yt also.