Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:12 PM
encore4me

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help pick a suppressor.

I want to get a suppressor for my new Kidd .22. There are so many different cans out there I donít know where to go. I did a search and found some good information but I would like your opinions.
#1 use squirrel hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2019, 05:25 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
#1 requirement for any 22lr suppressor: it has to be easily broken-down for cleaning! Just the nature of 22lr; they clog up the baffles on a suppressor can over time, so while the absolute quietest can may be initially appealing, in the long run it can be a waste of $ & hassle.

Beyond that, you have to consider whether or not you'll ever want to use the can on a centre-fire .22 and get an appropriate can rated to survive the associated more brutal blast.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:37 PM
nlvmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I feel I can speak from experience as I have several rimfire suppressors. Here is my $.02.

They all work well. One might have a little more first round pop, or maybe a decibel or two difference, but it would be hard to tell without fancy equipment. So, in my opinion, shop for a rimfire suppressor on features that you like. Weight, size, price and servicability are big ones.

A rimfire suppressor will get filthy, fast. You have to be able to take it apart and clean it. Here is the catch 22. Aluminum is lighter and cheaper than other materials, but harder to clean. Stainless is easier to clean, but IMHO, way too heavy for a rimfire can. Titanium is light and easy to clean, but costs a fortune. I have a Minuteman titanium that is a work of art, but the price is tough to swallow.

When I say easy to clean, I am referring to the idea that you can toss SS or titanium baffles in a wet tumbler with pins and turn them till they are clean. Aluminum would not hold up to that. I use sonic cleaners, or sometimes Pareacitic acid on aluminum, but it is a PIB that usually requires a long time with a dental pick.

I would recommend a Form 1. Build yourself a cheap aluminum can after getting an efile Form 1. When it wears out or gets too dirty, recore it cheap.

If you are not up to putting one together yourself, I have had good results with the cheap aluminum SOS22 cans from Rebel. The work like all of them do, and are lightweight. Not the quality of my titanium can, but I got 5 of em for less than 1.

YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 06:13 PM
98_1LE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I have several and agree easy to clean is most important. The stacked baffle designs that trap the crud inside the baffles work best IMO.

If buying another one today, a Liberty Vector would be what I would buy.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:20 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When it comes to 15-22's and suppressor I go with what 98_1LE recommends he's pretty sharp.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:41 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by encore4me View Post
I want to get a suppressor for my new Kidd .22.
Is there any possibility you would also want to suppress a .223, .204 or other CF someday? If so I would spend the money and get a Banish 223. 100% titanium and very easy to break down for cleaning.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 PM
encore4me

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Is there any possibility you would also want to suppress a .223, .204 or other CF someday? If so I would spend the money and get a Banish 223. 100% titanium and very easy to break down for cleaning.

No, just my .22

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 PM
wscato

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would get a Dead Air Mask.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own an older Gemtech Outback IID and a SilencerCO Sparrow SS. Both sound the same, but the SilencerCo is little easier to clean. They both just spent 4 hours in "the dip" and came out sparkling. As others have said, the ability to completely disassemble and clean is paramount for a 22.

If I were to buy a new 22 can right now, I'd be looking at the Rugged Oculus or the Dead Air Mask.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:03 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a Surefire Ryder mini on my Kidd. 4” long, 4 ounces, rated up to HMR/WMR. Like others said, they all work well and are close in effectiveness. I use mine on all my rimfires including pistols, so size and weight were important to me. Lot of good ones on the market, hard to make a mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A70CF95E-D08C-4DDF-930E-75DE2BB31228_1570154324053.jpg (543.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 PM
coloradokid

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ruger silent sr! Love it, no first round pop and no changes in point of impact any any of 10/22s.