Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sept. Windows Update Failures

My router crapped out a couple weeks ago, so I got a new one and configured it the same as the old one that had worked great for 5-6 years. But it wouldn't pass the internet to my laptop without a LAN cable plugged in. It drove me crazy for nearly a week. I was ready to return the router and buy a different brand. But I think I would have seen the same behavior.

I installed newer drivers for my wireless card, but that didn't help.

I finally went into Windows Update and found that the latest updates (KB4516065 and KB4516655) had repeatedly failed to install. I'm running Win7 Pro x64.

A bit of research showed someone with my problem had fixed it by installing an update that doesn't show up in the update list. You have to go to the MS website, find it, download it, and install it manually. The update is KB4490628. After a reboot, Windows Update no longer shows the KB4516655 update is needed and the KB4516065 update installs successfully (big/slow though).

After getting these updates installed, my new router started passing the internet to my laptop like a champ. HOORAY!!!!

I hope this info helps anyone else having problems with this months updates failing to install.