What do I have? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:17 PM
22rimfire22
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What do I have?

High Standard s/n 438583 with two barrels and 2 weights, brown plastic grips and the original box marked with s/n and in the model space it is marked only as S C.
The slide is marked on one side as Supermatic and has no other sub model designation, such as Trophy, Tournament, Citation etc. Any info appreciated.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 AM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Other markings on the gun as well as photos would be helpful.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:24 AM
SGVictor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22rimfire22 View Post
High Standard s/n 438583 with two barrels and 2 weights, brown plastic grips and the original box marked with s/n and in the model space it is marked only as S C.
The slide is marked on one side as Supermatic and has no other sub model designation, such as Trophy, Tournament, Citation etc. Any info appreciated.
Based on the information, this is a lever name series Supermatic combo (SC on the box) made in late 1953.

The Lever Name design series was produced from early 1951 through late 1953 with some outliers into 1954.

Your gun should have barrels with a raised rib and a shrouded breech( an extension of the barrel about 0.100" into a recess in the slide face). The barrels should be 4.50" and 6.75" long.

The Lever Name series, the 100 series and the 101 series all had Supermatic models which had no further appendages to the name like Trophy, Citation, or Tournament. The Trophy, Citation, and Tournament named did not appear in production until 1958. These modifying names described the level of features and trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 AM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVictor View Post
Based on the information, this is a lever name series Supermatic combo (SC on the box) made in late 1953.

The Lever Name design series was produced from early 1951 through late 1953 with some outliers into 1954.

Your gun should have barrels with a raised rib and a shrouded breech( an extension of the barrel about 0.100" into a recess in the slide face). The barrels should be 4.50" and 6.75" long.

The Lever Name series, the 100 series and the 101 series all had Supermatic models which had no further appendages to the name like Trophy, Citation, or Tournament. The Trophy, Citation, and Tournament named did not appear in production until 1958. These modifying names described the level of features and trim.
I should have said that this variation has a production rarity of PR-12 and would currently rank at about 275th place on the rarity chart.

The forum will not let me edit my post.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:01 PM
22rimfire22
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was hoping for a reply from SG Victor as I value your knowledge of High Standard products. I would be remiss if I did not also acknowledge Alan Aronstein, LDBennett and several others who frequent RFC with their input.
I was not aware of a product rarity scale and would like to know more about it and how items are rated.
My item was recently purchased out of Arizona and I believe it to be unfired judging by the pristine condition.
Thanks for any info you can share about the rarity scale.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:23 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22rimfire22 View Post
I was hoping for a reply from SG Victor as I value your knowledge of High Standard products. I would be remiss if I did not also acknowledge Alan Aronstein, LDBennett and several others who frequent RFC with their input.
I was not aware of a product rarity scale and would like to know more about it and how items are rated.
My item was recently purchased out of Arizona and I believe it to be unfired judging by the pristine condition.
Thanks for any info you can share about the rarity scale.
The link to my rarity rating chart has been posted on this forum several times.
http://www.histandard.info/PDF2015/R...08-10-2015.pdf

This is a binary system for rating the relative rarity of production guns. It is not intended for rating prototypes as they are almost always rare. The right most columns show the number of guns that fall within each specific rarity range. and a column of the cumulative total of these individual quantities.

I have also created a rarity ranking through the first 50 or 100 rarest guns by model and variation that has been posted on my website. It might no longer be there as the owners of the forum is deleting posts and will close the forum in about 40 days.

I don't understand the comment about unfired. They were all fired at the factory and they are only virgins once. These pistols can be fired quite a bit with little if any visible evidence. A gun cold be unfired and poorly stored resulting in a gun that is unfired but in a condition that would no longer interest a collector.

Unfired is not a meaningful descriptor of condition.