The Watering Hole 9-16-2019 - Page 20 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
Home from the Mexican b'day party. Then visited SisterIL's. Now relaxing. Chilly 58 degrees and low humidity.

All these apples and I have none. Squirrels ate mine when they were tiny.

Go ahead and do this so I can watched DVR'd Mayans MC. [my dark side]

Goodnight Al, Sophia, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, Blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, Wayne, M92, Splatz, dlong, 404, JDWin, Hawkeye, Atonic, Ranger, GP, Mike, Brent, Phil, IHMS, Rock, COW, jnyork, Gerald, Greggie, JV, Johnny, koonta, pans, Squirrel, 1917, RichJ, RonL, Carrij, arjay, CMR, rj, Rick, calibrian, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight
Turn up the surround to keep ya awake Frank.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Eindhoven, 18 September 1944. Residents celebrate the city's liberation by the Allies.

Eindhoven, 19 September 1944. Two-hundred twenty-seven civilians were killed in German air raids.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Blanche Scott, the first woman to solo-fly an aircraft in the US.

Quote:
In 1910 Scott became the second woman, after Alice Huyler Ramsey, to drive an automobile across the United States and the first driving westwards from New York City to San Francisco.

The publicity surrounding the automobile journey brought her to the attention of Jerome Fanciulli and Glenn Curtiss who agreed to provide her with flying lessons in Hammondsport, New York. She was the only woman to receive instruction directly from Curtiss. He fitted a limiter on the throttle of Scott's airplane to prevent it gaining enough speed to become airborne while she practiced taxiing on her own but on 6 September 1910 either the limiter moved or a gust of wind lifted the biplane and she flew to an altitude of forty feet before executing a gentle landing. Her flight was short and possibly unintentional but Scott is credited by the Early Birds of Aviation as the first woman to pilot and solo in an airplane in the United States.

Scott subsequently became a professional pilot. On 24 October 1910, at an air meet in Fort Wayne, Indiana, she made her debut as a member of the Curtiss exhibition team and became the first woman to fly at a public event in America. She became an accomplished stunt pilot known for flying upside down and performing "death dives", diving from an altitude of 4000 feet and suddenly pulling up only 200 feet from the ground.

In 1912 Scott contracted to fly for Glenn Martin and became the first female test pilot when she flew Martin prototypes before the final blueprints for the aircraft had been made. In 1913 she joined the Ward exhibition team. She retired from flying in 1916 because she was bothered by the public's interest in air crashes and an aviation industry which allowed no opportunity for women to become mechanics or engineers.

On 6 September 1948, Scott became the first American woman to fly in a jet when she was the passenger in a TF-80C piloted by Chuck Yeager. Knowing Scott's history as a stunt pilot, Yeager treated her to some snap rolls and a 14,000 foot dive. In 1954 Scott began working for the United States Air Force Museum, helping to acquire early aviation materials.

Scott died on Monday, 12 January 1970, at Genesee Hospital in Rochester, New York, at age 84. Her grave is at Rochester's Riverside Cemetery.

On 30 December 1980, the United States Postal Service issued an air mail stamp commemorating Scott's achievements in aviation. In 2005, Scott was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:56 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Gino Bartali, arguably the greatest Italian cyclist ever, competing in the Tour de France in 1948.

Quote:
Bartali, a villager from a poor Tuscan family, was reaching the peak of his career as WW2 approached. He won his first Giro d'Italia in 1936, retaining the title in 1937. Then - to Italy's delight - he won the 1938 Tour de France. It was a moment the country's fascist leader, Benito Mussolini, had been looking forward to eagerly.

In the middle of that year's Tour, Mussolini had published a Manifesto on Race, which led later to Jews being stripped of citizenship or any position in government or the professions. Italy remained, however, a country in which Jews could take refuge, until it surrendered to the allies in 1943. The German army then occupied northern and central parts of the country and immediately started rounding up Jews and sending them to concentration camps.

At this point Bartali, a devout Catholic, was asked by the Cardinal of Florence, Archbishop Elia Dalla Costa, to join a secret network offering protection and safe passage to Jews and other endangered people. Bartali's role in the network was uniquely suited to his talents - he became a courier. On the face of it he was undertaking the long training rides for which he was renowned, but in reality he was carrying photographs and counterfeit identity documents hidden in his bike's frame and handlebars to and from a secret printing press. When Bartali was stopped and searched, he specifically asked that his bicycle not be touched since the different parts were very carefully calibrated to achieve maximum speed.

Bartali's son, Andrea, says that eventually little by little his father told him about his actions during the war but made him promise not to tell anyone at that time. "When I asked my father why I couldn't tell anyone, he said, 'You must do good, but you must not talk about it. If you talk about it you're taking advantage of others misfortunes' for your own gain.'

Andrea Bartali says his father refused to view his actions as heroic.

"When people were telling him, 'Gino, you're a hero', he would reply: 'No, no - I want to be remembered for my sporting achievements. Real heroes are others, those who have suffered in their soul, in their heart, in their spirit, in their mind, for their loved ones. Those are the real heroes. I'm just a cyclist.'"

In September 2013 Bartali was posthumously awarded with the honour Righteous Among the Nations by Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial and education centre in Jerusalem.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:34 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

I̶T̶ ̶I̶S̶ ̶T̶R̶E̶E̶ ̶C̶U̶T̶T̶I̶N̶G̶ ̶F̶R̶I̶D̶A̶Y̶

IT IS DONUT FRIDAY

I awoke this a.m. to half of one of my ornamental pear trees laying across the sidewalk, and into the street.
We had just enough rain last night, that the tree split.

I'll not be cleaning a Win Mod 50, and will instead be cleaning up tree debris, today.

I hope my little electric Harbor Freight Chainsaw is up to the task at hand.

I've no idea how I'm going to dispose of the debris.

I'll take a pic when the sun decides to make an appearance.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:35 AM
robs9
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope you have some friends to help you. That looks like a pretty big tree for a small electric chain saw.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was super for Yeager to take her up and away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Gino Bartali, arguably the greatest Italian cyclist ever, competing in the Tour de France in 1948.
No Volvos then?

Time to build a smoker for fishes Don?
Here my flutter brain neighbor burns wood and weed on warm evenings when the wind is just right to blow into our open windows. A whiff is ok but after that my sinuses plug up. His company chain smoke butts to add a bit of flavor toit. Most ex smokers do not like the smell, a lot.

Really froggy 60˚ this a.m.. I'm sure folks are being shipped elsewhere again to fly. Visibility a couple hunnert yds. @ best.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Blanche Scott, the first woman to solo-fly an aircraft in the US.

The Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY is a great place to visit if you're ever in the southern Finger Lakes. Hammondsport lies at the head (or foot, depending on your sense of orientation) of Keuka Lake (pronounced Keeooka), at the northern end of which is Penn Yan, where I was born.
The area will soon be swarming with leaf peepers and wine tasters. The wineries and breweries have sprouted up like fungi after a warm rain in the last 10 years. There were always larger wineries (this is where Taylor used to be located), but now there are many smaller ones too.
A couple lakes to the west, is the Grape Festival this weekend in Naples.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 09-20-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Know what he is doing at that moment?
Old 09-20-2019, 07:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
. . .
Wouldn't it be faster to travel East to get to Italy?

Old 09-20-2019, 07:49 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

I̶T̶ ̶I̶S̶ ̶T̶R̶E̶E̶ ̶C̶U̶T̶T̶I̶N̶G̶ ̶F̶R̶I̶D̶A̶Y̶

IT IS DONUT FRIDAY

I awoke this a.m. to half of one of my ornamental pear trees laying across the sidewalk, and into the street.
We had just enough rain last night, that the tree split.

I'll not be cleaning a Win Mod 50, and will instead be cleaning up tree debris, today.

I hope my little electric Harbor Freight Chainsaw is up to the task at hand.

I've no idea how I'm going to dispose of the debris.

I'll take a pic when the sun decides to make an appearance.
Sounds like you might have to take the cover off of the bed.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Alas nothing but beer festivals with breweries sprouting up like your toadstools.

Speelcheck is getting reelly irritating especially the youre substitutions.

Time to change the Finn's oil since the last was 1.5 yrs ago, less than 1K miles. Snewtires for mwa must be fetched from the shack now that there'll be some xtra room in the back. Snewblower must also get tipped over and the bottom plate removed for proper lube in the right places. I don't spin wrenches n drivers at ground level no mo.

RFC is adding quotes from other forums before I can hit submit...berry interesting but stoopid!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:15 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:

My Son made me aware of Signore Bartali's secret training purposes several years ago, a man doing what he could in a dangerous time.

Mike, could it be he's trying to reduce his profile to lower wind resistance?

Don, we see lots of Flowering Pear trees split around here, winds in spring and summer, ice in winter...frankly I'd not have one but lots of folks seem to like them. At least until they split.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Know what he is doing at that moment?
Changing gear?

Closed Thread