Green Mountain finally has some of their 20" Sporters back in stock - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Had mine at the range today. First time out. Broke it in with a box of Aguila SV. Got a little Redfield 14x on it and a JWH bolt/ handle and a Bx trigger. Zeroed at 50 in 5 shots and the other 45 , 5 shots into 9 1 inch stickers with room to spare.

It’s gonna be another shooter! I am really pleased with the GM barrels I bought from Rimfire Sports last winter. This one , the 17 in HT, and the 28 in bull and the Running Boar.

If you can’t find a walnut DSP stock, S&P still has beech ins for $75.00, and Walnut Mannlicher stocks for $200. Don’t forget code RFP for a 5% discount! or for something different the Tony Mele stocks are very nice., just put some new ones on eBay, under glenlvt.

As for a trigger , while the bx is fine, I have a brimstone tier 2 , and it is really nice! Sent in a Bx but haven’t heard back yet.
My first two rugers, a Sporter Deluxe and 1264 Mannlicher, triggers were reworked by Brimstone. This is 8-9 years ago. They are excellent, esp. the mag release. Smoothest in the business.

However, it's still a .... cheaply constructed plastic trigger. When I was "fixing up" Calamity's 11165, I bought her a Kidd trigger. Yes, they aren't cheap. But the quality is definitely there. I am thinking about ordering another one, as they are on sale both at coolguyguns and Kidd's eBay store. Usually the eBay store is more expensive, probably due to the eBay sales and or eBucks program. But they are the same, on sale for $200. I just received notice of 8% eBucks back for the next two days. It's for invited guests only, as these usually are. This means another $20 off on a Kidd trigger for me, making it $184 delivered, counting on the $16 eBucks. I do a fair amount of buying on eBay so it will be used. No tax, free shipping. Not great, but not bad either.

Glad to hear you like your GM barrels. Not surprised though. This week I'll be putting in a 20" sporter into Calamity's 11165. She shot my 11165 with the new barrel and not only was it more accurate, but shot even the hated Fed ammo reasonably well. The Fed 710/810 Game Shok even out shot her favorite CCI Tacts this week. The Fed HV Match still sucked. At least they shot, though all over the place. Thankfully I don't have many. The Game Shok I'm loaded with. As I mentioned in the ammo section, we also shot over 200 Rem GB's with no problems at all, and even decent accuracy. But this shoots well for us in all our rifles when compared to bulk hv's, not sv's.

Both links are below.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Kidd-Innova...ecat=767692019

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Sin...p-In_p_29.html

Last edited by Calamity Sue's Husband; 07-29-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well yes , Kidd is the best. But not to shoot federal, of Remington ammo for that you need a plastic trigger!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:30 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
I put a 20" GM fluted barrel on a Rem 581 action and it shot outstanding. A very nice little Sporter, my best 5 shot group at 50 yd was .118" but constantly turned groups in between 1/4 and 3/8 inches.
That looks like a CZ 452 Stock.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
No, it was a Kimber Classic stock.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:24 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (232)
Quote:
I put a 20" GM fluted barrel on a Rem 581 action and it shot outstanding. A very nice little Sporter, my best 5 shot group at 50 yd was .118" but constantly turned groups in between 1/4 and 3/8 inches.
First I've seen that one. Very, very nice! I like the idea of using a Remington 581 action for a re-build with a different quality barrel. But you know that.

Doug
Old 09-07-2019, 06:21 PM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Sue's Husband View Post
My first two rugers, a Sporter Deluxe and 1264 Mannlicher, triggers were reworked by Brimstone. This is 8-9 years ago. They are excellent, esp. the mag release. Smoothest in the business.

However, it's still a .... cheaply constructed plastic trigger. When I was "fixing up" Calamity's 11165, I bought her a Kidd trigger. Yes, they aren't cheap. But the quality is definitely there. I am thinking about ordering another one, as they are on sale both at coolguyguns and Kidd's eBay store. Usually the eBay store is more expensive, probably due to the eBay sales and or eBucks program. But they are the same, on sale for $200. I just received notice of 8% eBucks back for the next two days. It's for invited guests only, as these usually are. This means another $20 off on a Kidd trigger for me, making it $184 delivered, counting on the $16 eBucks. I do a fair amount of buying on eBay so it will be used. No tax, free shipping. Not great, but not bad either.

Glad to hear you like your GM barrels. Not surprised though. This week I'll be putting in a 20" sporter into Calamity's 11165. She shot my 11165 with the new barrel and not only was it more accurate, but shot even the hated Fed ammo reasonably well. The Fed 710/810 Game Shok even out shot her favorite CCI Tacts this week. The Fed HV Match still sucked. At least they shot, though all over the place. Thankfully I don't have many. The Game Shok I'm loaded with. As I mentioned in the ammo section, we also shot over 200 Rem GB's with no problems at all, and even decent accuracy. But this shoots well for us in all our rifles when compared to bulk hv's, not sv's.

Both links are below.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Kidd-Innova...ecat=767692019

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Sin...p-In_p_29.html
If you send your trigger packs to Clark Custom Guns for a trigger job, they will replace the plastic trigger with an aluminum trigger that has an over travel screw - it costs an extra $12.50

They can also put everything into a brand new OEM Ruger aluminum housing - the one's Ruger used in the old days before the poly housings.

Unfortunately, they raised the price to $55 - used to be $25 extra.

Two years ago a trigger job with aluminum trigger & housing was $112.50 + return ship - now it's $162.50

Last edited by MannlicherFan; 09-08-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:48 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Doug, I just got done cutting out a Walnut sporter stock for a 581. I have to sand it all down and put on grip cap and forend but it will be a heavier beefier stock. It will be more like a big boy rifle. Not a fancy stock, straight grained sporter good as a tough hunter.
I'm gluing up some maple for another when I find one but may have to do a 457 instead. I will put some spalded maple on it probably in the forend and butt area. I have a Lilja I can turn and chamber or leave the profile and just do a target rifle again.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:43 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (232)
Quote:
Doug, I just got done cutting out a Walnut sporter stock for a 581. I have to sand it all down and put on grip cap and forend but it will be a heavier beefier stock. It will be more like a big boy rifle. Not a fancy stock, straight grained sporter good as a tough hunter.
I'm gluing up some maple for another when I find one but may have to do a 457 instead. I will put some spalded maple on it probably in the forend and butt area. I have a Lilja I can turn and chamber or leave the profile and just do a target rifle again.
You do some very nice work, indeed. Keep posting about 'em!

Doug
Old 10-19-2019, 09:10 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I may yet get a GM sporter 20, but that would mean a bit of wood work on my '70 Fingergroove.

Saw SAP had the smooth factory 18.5" take offs for 55 bucks shipped.

Figured I'd try that and see if it helped
The orig bbl might have some issues....it aint very good.
Might send it to CPC for rework.

Worst case, I order a GM 20" sporter and mod the stock.