Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 PM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52-Pre A targt sight

Hi -
Big,big thanks to Big Larry I have a good idea of the vintage option sights for a late 52-Pre A. But, I need to get a rear sight on this rifle to shoot for rimfire league in a month. I was wondering if there are any suggestions on currently manufactured or easily found sights that will fit. I'm ready to drill and tap if needed. Cutting into the stock, only as a last choice. The rifle was loved, but it is far from collectible, so I want to respect it, but I also want to shoot it.

I

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 AM
dokey
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
These sights will work on a flat top receiver
Lyman 48J, 48JH, 524J
Vaver 35-MIL, W-52 LT, 35-M1ELT

These were taken from Pauline Muerrel's Winchester Model 52 sight combinations book They use the wide dovetail slot
Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How about making a wide dovetail plate to adapt a number of readily available sights to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 AM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gcrank1, can you tell me more about that? I have some fabrication skills, but not gunsmith experience. Clyde Baker says hello from gunsmith heaven.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 AM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokey View Post
These sights will work on a flat top receiver
Lyman 48J, 48JH, 524J
Vaver 35-MIL, W-52 LT, 35-M1ELT

These were taken from Pauline Muerrel's Winchester Model 52 sight combinations book They use the wide dovetail slot
Thanks very much.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 AM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
How about making a wide dovetail plate to adapt a number of readily available sights to?
Can you suggest a good set up? what sight would you choose for a flattop?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I havent done your particular gun, am passing familiar with the wide dovetail. It is not unusual to have odd vintage guns turn up missing their also odd, and expensive, sometimes not so great sights. My operating methodology is to do no changes to the gun if at all possible, so a 'plate', often easily worked alum for a MkI trial is made to fit the gun that can be drilled/tapped/etc for a sight. Btw, alum can be darkened with cold blue or 'alum-black' or even magic marker to blend in better.
The principle is to find a suitable, in your case, rear peep sight that can adjust low enough to get your needed sight line. Sometimes this may involve changing the height of the front sight, and for target work that may be a Lyman 17A that comes with the nominal 3/8 dovetail at various heights and is reasonably priced and available.
It may be possible to make the plate fit the gun wide dovetail and hang off the left side (by, say, using a piece of angle alum?) to be able to mount up a Lyman/Refield/Williams left side peep base for a flat receiver like a Win or Marlin lever-gun?
Think outside the box.
If you can rig something up you can get the pressure off and take some time finding the right sight(s). If you have made no non-reversible mods so much the better.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 AM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I havent done your particular gun, am passing familiar with the wide dovetail. It is not unusual to have odd vintage guns turn up missing their also odd, and expensive, sometimes not so great sights. My operating methodology is to do no changes to the gun if at all possible, so a 'plate', often easily worked alum for a MkI trial is made to fit the gun that can be drilled/tapped/etc for a sight. Btw, alum can be darkened with cold blue or 'alum-black' or even magic marker to blend in better.
The principle is to find a suitable, in your case, rear peep sight that can adjust low enough to get your needed sight line. Sometimes this may involve changing the height of the front sight, and for target work that may be a Lyman 17A that comes with the nominal 3/8 dovetail at various heights and is reasonably priced and available.
It may be possible to make the plate fit the gun wide dovetail and hang off the left side (by, say, using a piece of angle alum?) to be able to mount up a Lyman/Refield/Williams left side peep base for a flat receiver like a Win or Marlin lever-gun?
Think outside the box.
If you can rig something up you can get the pressure off and take some time finding the right sight(s). If you have made no non-reversible mods so much the better.
Thanks, that helps get me going in the right direction. I'll post again when I have made some progress.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 PM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anyone know if the Redfifeld Olympic Sight selling on the CMP sight would fit a flat top Winchester 52 pre-A?
Old 09-05-2019, 01:11 PM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Think outside the box.
What do you think of the Redfield Olympic sights selling on CMP?
Old 09-05-2019, 01:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Redfield Oly's are a wonderful sight, as to fitting one to your gun without having to mod either I do not know. It is possible someone has done so in all these years. Finding that someone may be a challenge.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:09 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you want to remain original, look for an 82A Winchester sight as seen below. They are an aperture sight and, if your eyes are good, they are quite accurate. Not as good as the Olympic or Lyman aperture sights but still very good and correct for your rifle.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 AM
matt89134

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Gcrank and Doubs. I'm learning a lot in very little time.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 AM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
If you want to remain original, look for an 82A Winchester sight as seen below. They are an aperture sight and, if your eyes are good, they are quite accurate. Not as good as the Olympic or Lyman aperture sights but still very good and correct for your rifle.

I agree,I actually prefer the 82A for general shooting as it's so quick and easy to change elevation for shooting at different ranges.
If you do buy and 82A make certain it has the two little flat springs with holes that fit under the sight and are used for the windage knobs,a lot of the ones I've seen on ebay are missing those two springs.
I'd say if you're not going do shoot competitively with the rifle the 82A would serve you well.

Matt,I think ALL of us are still learning,I know I am.I've gotten a lot of help and gained some good knowledge from members on this site.

Last edited by LarDaBear; 09-06-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:24 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester rear sight

There are two of these currently on Gunbroker for sale. Both are in the $100-$125 range and look complete.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/823843582

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830215765

These sights work quite well and are original to your gun. Happy hunting!