Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 PM
fangerdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 452 with really bad trigger

I finally got around to a serious bench test with my 452 American. The trigger was horrid. It starts with a huge amount of creep, then it feels like two rusty files dragging against each other, then a bit more creep and bang. It shot OK with some Federal Match and CCI SV (.6-.7" at 50 yards with light crosswinds). The CCI SV grouped better than the CCI green. Anyways I quickly gave up cuz I just couldn't deal with the awful trigger.
Postman dropped off a YoDave kit this afternoon and I just installed it. I used the second heaviest spring and the second thinnist shim tube. I fired a few test rounds off my back deck but there is still more creep than I expected. Hopefully I'll be able to do some bench testing tomorrow.
The most difficult part of the YoDave installation was establishing a clean, clear and well lit area to do the work. If you have the work space and tools ready and are the least bit handy, I'd say it's a 15 minute job.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Timney.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:25 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Change out the trigger spring to a lighter one without removing the sear. That's tricky to put back. The factory spring is very heavy by design. You can adjust it heavier with the nut but it will still be lighter than the lightest setting with the heavy spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 02:40 AM
Feisar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Change out the trigger spring to a lighter one without removing the sear. That's tricky to put back. The factory spring is very heavy by design. You can adjust it heavier with the nut but it will still be lighter than the lightest setting with the heavy spring.
That factory spring belongs in a car's suspension!
Old 09-05-2019, 04:30 AM
jm17
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
89% (7)
I have installed an ACE#144 spring in several of My 452's and that has really improved the trigger pull. I have not made any adjustment to the sear.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:26 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Rifle Basix or Timney will solve the problem, no questions.

It's an elegant design, the CZ 452 trigger, but if the geometry is off, it can produce a trigger that only a Ruger owner thinks is good.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (119)
A 457 will solve the problem also. Just a little more expensive....

Hank
Old 09-05-2019, 01:55 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The #144 spring is an inexpensive but excellent way to improve the factory trigger. I've used them on most of my CZ-452 & 455 rifles with success.

I recently sold a CZ-452 Varmint rifle through the Trading Post on this forum. I had put an ACE #144 spring in it that brought the trigger down to a very crisp 1.5 pounds. Because I didn't know the buyer, I put the factory spring back in that returned the trigger to 3.5~4 pounds. I explained this to the buyer and included the #144 spring in case he wanted to return the trigger to 1.5 pounds.

Should the OP replace his factory spring with a #144 and still have creep, he may want to LIGHTLY stone the trigger & sear surfaces to remove any burrs but being VERY careful to maintain the factory angles.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:57 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
It's an elegant design, the CZ 452 trigger, but if the geometry is off, it can produce a trigger that only a Ruger owner thinks is good.
LOL. That's funny... but also close to the truth.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ace #144 springs in both of my 452's along with the modified Poor Man's Trigger Job shims. You can see how to do it in Sophia's FAQ's. Triggers don't get any better for me than these mods provided. Total Cost: The price of the Springs.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM
MBuehner
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Poor mans trigger job produced awesome reslts for me on two CZ 452's. Best inexpensive trigger job compared to the the Jewell in my Rem 700's.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:46 PM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
A 457 will solve the problem also. Just a little more expensive....

Hank
I own 4, 457s.
All are right at 16oz with factory springs.
Easy peezy in a matter of minutes. Very crisp.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5275.jpg (509.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:32 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 2 452' that have Ace 144 springs. One is at 10 oz and the other at 12. Both have creep which is fine with me.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
One of my 452's still has the factory trigger and it's pretty darn good. Not as good as my Rifle Basix, but still plenty acceptable. And I am definitely a trigger snob. It's the only rifle out of the dozens that I own that has an unmodified trigger.

Last edited by Nick7274; 09-05-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:23 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
The good news is that these triggers are not so difficult to work on. The first time it takes a bit of fiddling, but it is not too bad. There are two or three common issues and a bunch of fixes that have been alluded to above, up to and including complete trigger replacement. I think you can try them in increasing order of difficulty/expense until you get the trigger where you want it.

1) Spring swap. As noted, there are a number of springs that will work that you can probably pick up at your local hardwares store. Drift the back pin out, remove the factory spring, replace with a lighter spring of the same diameter, drift the pin back in. I have always resisted the urge to stone or file the sear or trigger surfaces. These are hardened pieces and you don't want to remove any material from them. Slicking them up might be as far as I would go. I haven't though, on the 452 and 455 triggers I have worked on. Usually the spring swap was enough. This won't necessarily address creep though. [Edit: I'd put the Poor Man's Trigger Job in this low cost category. Never tried one myself, though]. Another way to address creep is:

2) a YoDave kit. The YoDave kit consists of springs of progressively lighter weight and aluminum (?) tube shims that can be fitted to reduce the amount of creep you feel. Shims and springs can be mixed and matched until you have a safe trigger that breaks cleanly. For this, or the spring swap, a rubber-mallet test is a must to make sure that your trigger won't release if bumped. And don't just tap with the ruber mallet. Whale on that sucker. Drop tests with the action in the stock can shear the wood in two. If the sear is just too rough, though you might want to try:

3) A DiP adjustable sear. Diversified Innovative Products makes a bunch of different specialty items for the CZ 452/455 platform. Among these is a replacement sear. This starts to be a "not for the faint of heart" replacement. There is a ball bearing on the both the OEM and replacement sear that sits over a spring. It's function is to cause the sear to reset after firing. The ball bearing is known around here as the F-ball for obvious reasons. It goes flying/rolling at the worst times. Also, replacing the sear requires you to maintain spring pressure while trying to drift the pins back into the action. There are workarounds, but the first one I did took me over an hour and some pretty strong language. And self-pity. But I finally got the thing together. This set up uses the factory trigger, but a very nicely finished sear. The sear can be adjusted with a tiny Allen key for the amount of engagement. I have used these when just a spring swap still left a lot of grit and creep to the trigger pull. Not usually necessary. All the warnings about a bump test go double with a sear replacement. I have done one that just never had the right amount of trigger/sear engagement. It would go off in a stiff breeze. That sear came back out and I went with:

4) A whole trigger replacement. Timney makes one. Rifle Basix makes one. There may be others. The Timney can work well, but I had one that always let the bolt escape when cycled. Timney has a fix for this, but I couldn't get it to work. The trigger in question is sitting on my desk until I can get organized enough to send it back to the company. They can do with it what they want with it; it has no use for me.

Look at the stickies in the CZ section here; they should detail some of the steps for the above fixes. With trigger improvements, these rifles can be nice shooters. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by flangster; 09-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.