Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Trigger71
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MKIV 22/45 feeding too high

I'm having trouble with CCI MM 40grRN feeding nearly straight up into the top edge of the chamber and jamming. I've tried the CCI AR-tact and Std as well.

This had happened once before and I thought I may have fixed the issue by taking tension off the receiver by lowering the screw up by the pivot point. (lol, if that makes any sense) However, I do have it set where I thought it was perfect with no slop, yet still easy enough to the frame. Am I barking up the wrong tree with this?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:32 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Have you tried a different magazine? Could be that the mag lips were tweaked. . .
Old 09-05-2019, 12:10 PM
Trigger71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have actually, to no great avail however. I did notice that topping off the mags shows more of a problem. Often the first of ten rounds sits differently than the rest.
However, this seems to be the case with all seven of my mags including ones with the TK followers.

The problem arose after I put on my Striplin Gas Pedal. I have a Majestic Arms metal insert that replaces the polymer stock one for adjustments. However, I'm guessing maybe I have the upper and lower too tight??? Is that even a thing, haha? But I haven't made any other changes, so I'm confused on this one.

--Afterthought... I did put TK bumpers on the mags...any thoughts on that changing how far they go into the grip creating an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd put a factory base back on one of the mags and see if that's the problem. If the jams still happen, I'd remove the MA locking vault. The polymer frame is supposed to have enough flex to keep the barrel locked up without any kind of "spacer". I'm guessing the problem is the vault - not the base pads.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the locking block on my Mark IV Hunter. My Mark IV 22/45 not needed. If I knew then what I know now I would have never bought the Locking Block. It will dig into the frame of the steel receivers.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The first of the ten rounds does sit at more of a high angle than the rest.
But when the next round up gets to the top of the mag, it too points up at a weird angle. The nature of the beast I guess.
I'm not so sure that yours is a locking block or frame tension issue.

Sounds like a magazine problem to me.
My new MK IV .22/45 was doing that too. Rounds were stripping off the magazine and hitting the top of the chamber.
It seemed to me that the magazine was letting the round go a bit too soon.

I pushed the front half of the feed lips in a bit, leaving the back half alone, and the feeding problem went away.
I had to do this on 3 of my 4 magazines.

The base plate you have on your mags shouldn't make any difference either.
I also put TK bumpers on my mags, but that was long after I had the feeding problem like yours.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22/45 feeding issues........

I had similar problems with my Mk4 22/45 pistol. I found some recommended mods for the magazine feed lips (shorten them just a bit) that seemed to help a good deal. The pistol was still experiencing some jams so I went on a hunt to find which ammo would feed the best. Turned out that the best choice was/is CCI Blazer. Apparently the shape of the bullet ogive has a major impact on correct feeding. The other problem my gun experienced was a failure to extract properly. I resolved that issue by making sure the chamber is properly cleaned after each outing. I check that by dropping a round into the freshly cleaned chamber and then turning the barrel up to see if the cartridge will drop freely out. So, a combination of shooting what it likes best, keeping the chamber clean and doing the magazine mods was reequired to make my gun shoot as it should. Hope this helps!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Trigger71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Top Secret 51!

Trial and error over time with this 22/45. I've found the cleanliness of the feed ramp can effect how the first round chambers on a bolt back feed. +1 on extraction with a clean chamber.
I've tried all kinds of ammo from Federal to Eley. I "had been" successful with CCI 40grRn MM. Some folks online suggested trying CCI AR-tact due to the shape of the bullet like you noted. I didn't see much different between the two however, and my gun usually likes anything but Fed AutoMatch. Due to this, I wasn't thinking this was my trouble this time.

I did talk with a tech at TK and they also suggested tweaking the feed lips--in particular the rear set. I had done the polishing etc to tune the mags but focused on the front lips. I've done some work on the rear ones now and i cannot duplicate the problem with trials (on the bench) I'll report back after I try live fire.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Trigger71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SanDog,

Agree with the way the first one or two are on a different angle--which makes sense as nothing was above them. Perhaps different spring tension?? I've had other Rugers that didn't like +2 followers..

I also found that I only have this problem from an Open bolt slamming home. If I start with the bolt closed, I do not have this problem. I think the first round going up on the bottom of bolt sets it in place better. Not a perfect solution, but during steel challenge, I don't want the problem.

After talking to TK, I tuned the rear lips per their suggestion. I had previously watched the YT vid on mag tuning for these. Perhaps my polishing and working on the mag lips opened them a bit. I have re-tuned the best I see fit, and dry practice seems favorable with three different bullet shapes.

Thanks guys