Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:51 AM
hokiefyd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Polished Blued Buck Marks?

My daughter has recently taken a liking to the stainless 4" Micro Bull I bought inexpensively from R&K Guns a few years ago. I had gotten fairly decent with it, shooting a high of 451/600 in our local Bullseye matches (offhand, 25 yds). But we can't both shoot Bullseye with one pistol...

In considering options for a second rimfire pistol, I'm wondering if Browning offer any polished blued versions of the Buck Mark. It seems some of the Challengers came this way, but Buck Marks seem to be either stainless or black, in a matte/satin finish. The closest I can find is the sides of the slab-sided barrel -- those seem to have a polish to them, but the rest of the gun doesn't.

Is anyone aware of a Buck Mark model that has more polished blueing than merely what's on the side of the slab-sided barrels?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Challengers were all steel. Buckmarks are not.Not an expert on Buckmarks but unlikely that all gloss models exist. Currently, there also seems to be a pull away from gloss anodizing,
Old 09-05-2019, 09:15 AM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Challengers were all steel.
Ah, yes, good point.

Quote:
Currently, there also seems to be a pull away from gloss anodizing,
I will say that one of the things I don't like about my Buck Mark is the matte/satin finish. I prefer a smooth/gloss/polished finish, a feature the Ruger and S&W pistols in this same class do offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If she is looking for the best looking Buckmark (IMHO), try and find one of these used https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-damascus.html

The all steel pistols will carry more weight, which I find an advantage in Bullseye.

Her hand size will also impact which pistols can work.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:28 AM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Challengers were all steel.
The Challenger III has an alloy frame. The Challenger II and Belgium Challenger have steel frames.
SO
Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could always have her pistol cerakoted. Some of the color options mimic a blued finish pretty darn well. SOCOM Blue is supposedly the closes to a blued finish.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
If she is looking for the best looking Buckmark (IMHO), try and find one of these used...
If I wasn't clear, she's taken over mine...

So I'm now looking for another rimfire pistol, for me. I agree -- that Damascus model is sweet. I've looked here and there for similar-colored wood grips for my 4" stainless model, but I've just left the factory UFX grips on for now.

I've previously owned a Ruger (22/45 Lite, Mk III) and liked it, and I like the Buck Mark I have now. I may end up getting a S&W Victory to round out my collection of this style of gun (budget target-style rimfire). My local Ace Hardware has a nice-looking used Browning something in the display case. I don't recall if it was a Buck Mark or Challenger or other...I need to go back and check on it.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
You could always have her pistol cerakoted. Some of the color options mimic a blued finish pretty darn well. SOCOM Blue is supposedly the closes to a blued finish.
That's an interesting idea. Thx.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
If I wasn't clear, she's taken over mine...

So I'm now looking for another rimfire pistol, for me. I agree -- that Damascus model is sweet. I've looked here and there for similar-colored wood grips for my 4" stainless model, but I've just left the factory UFX grips on for now.

I've previously owned a Ruger (22/45 Lite, Mk III) and liked it, and I like the Buck Mark I have now. I may end up getting a S&W Victory to round out my collection of this style of gun (budget target-style rimfire). My local Ace Hardware has a nice-looking used Browning something in the display case. I don't recall if it was a Buck Mark or Challenger or other...I need to go back and check on it.
For another rimfire pistol for yourself... if you admire the Buck Mark, you should consider a Medalist or a Belgium Challenger. The difference is kind of like the difference between a Pre-64 Model 70 and a Ruger American Rifle. If you connect with the old school quality, craftsmanship, and lack of concession to manufacturing costs, you will love the Belgium guns.

Here's a 2000 model Buck Mark and a couple of International Medalists of the sort that you can get for about $550 or so if you keep an eye out. A joy to shoot, aside from being a little more accurate than the other guns shown.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:53 PM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked at the Browning piece at my Ace Hardware and it's a Challenger III. Most of the blue was still nice on it, but there were a few crusty areas. My highly untrained eye would call it a 6 or 7 out of 10. They wanted $475 for it, which seemed steep.

I am looking for a pistol for me, and I do like "old" stuff, but I'm also not looking to spend quite that much. I wouldn't otherwise say this in this forum, but I held a new S&W Victory while I was at Ace, and it felt like it was made for my hand...I really liked the grip style and feel and weight of the gun. Given the relatively low entry price, and the availability of aftermarket parts for it, that's probably the direction I'll go. There are a few things about the Buck Mark design that I don't like, though I still enjoy shooting the one I do have. I'll probably go for some diversity and add another brand to my .22 portfolio.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I looked at the Browning piece at my Ace Hardware and it's a Challenger III. Most of the blue was still nice on it, but there were a few crusty areas. My highly untrained eye would call it a 6 or 7 out of 10. They wanted $475 for it, which seemed steep.

I am looking for a pistol for me, and I do like "old" stuff, but I'm also not looking to spend quite that much. I wouldn't otherwise say this in this forum, but I held a new S&W Victory while I was at Ace, and it felt like it was made for my hand...I really liked the grip style and feel and weight of the gun. Given the relatively low entry price, and the availability of aftermarket parts for it, that's probably the direction I'll go. There are a few things about the Buck Mark design that I don't like, though I still enjoy shooting the one I do have. I'll probably go for some diversity and add another brand to my .22 portfolio.
If I were you, I'd go with a new Victory.
A crusty C3 isn't a $475 gun by any stretch.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:18 PM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If I were you, I'd go with a new Victory.
A crusty C3 isn't a $475 gun by any stretch.
I did buy a new Victory, last weekend. It shoots nice. It's fun to have a variety of gun platforms, even though it means they can't share magazines. There are many differences between the Buck Mark and Victory, but also a lot of similarities. I think it's pretty clear that Smith took some design elements from the Buck Mark when designing their new Victory.