Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Fishoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22lr J.G. Landmann

I need a magazine for this rifle. It was made in West Germany in the 60's. I am looking for the magazine or info on adaptable substitutes. All help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4453.jpg (314.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:30 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never seen such rifle, maybe if you give is some pics of the mag well and catch with some measurements we can make suggest for it.
To me it looks like a copy of the erma/iver johnson M1 rifle in 22LR made in west germany. It's a start, mags run about $60-100 each, 10 or 15 rds.
Good Luck
Old 09-04-2019, 09:55 AM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It does not look like an Erma Carbine except in general outline.

More importantly the magazine release appears to be a lever rather than the M1 Carbine style "button" or slide as on the Erma.

interesting rifle.

Thanks for posting.

Try Preetz Model 65 for info as well.

-kBob

Last edited by kBob; 09-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I was referring to the general outline of it as the top of receiver and bolt slide does not come close to M1. The mag lever is not the button BUT may use the same lock in nubs on the back of the mag. That is why I thought a few pics would be nice as it might show the lock point and shape of mag well and maybe post the size of opening to help along with the chase here. It is not a M1 copy for sure but many models have been know to "use" parts from others to avoid having to make/stock their own. Maybe he will get lucky here. Just a thought
Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Bartlow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The JGL aka Landmann guns are super neat. They are essentially a knockoff of the AR7 in terms of their mechanics. For a magazine I think your best sources are overseas.

I have seen mags for these guns (they all take the same mag) advertised by seller Marcin in Poland. He is "102.rudy" on gunbroker, https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...Sellers=526699
He is not especially cheap, and shipping can be slow, but the guns were never commercially imported in the US, so US magazine sources are hard to find.

Before January 1972, as I understand it, .22 rimfire rifles were unregulated in West Germany, so long as the buyer was over 18. JGL made a bunch of military looking guns in .22, some of which would be short barreled rifles under US law.

If you look on egun.de at the various Landmann offerings you can get an understanding of what they made and what is still sold on the used market, both as to guns and magazines. You will also see that magazines seem to be plentiful and cheap in Germany. Not here, in my experience.

The Landmann guns were a way for Germanse to have a gun that was sort of military looking, but which did not require a German owners license like centerfire rifles did. Some of them look kind of "space gun" also. Unfortunately one or more of the Landmann guns were used by the East German sponsored terrorist group known as the Baader Meinhof Gang, and that was enough to get the West German gun laws rewritten effective January 1972, and put an end the exemption .22 rifles had previously enjoyed.

There is a biography of Mr. Landmann in German that I see advertised that I bet (based on the pictures) is very interesting, but I can't read German. I doubt there will be enough interest to justify a translation.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Fishoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
Never seen such rifle, maybe if you give is some pics of the mag well and catch with some measurements we can make suggest for it.
To me it looks like a copy of the erma/iver johnson M1 rifle in 22LR made in west germany. It's a start, mags run about $60-100 each, 10 or 15 rds.
Good Luck
First a hearty Thanks! to all that provided some input. If I have difficulty finding an original magazine, I could alter the receiver opening and magazine locking lever to fit a domestic magazine. I may have to alter the magazine as well as there is little hope that a domestic version would fit the lever. Someone suggested that a Mossberg magazine (model not provided) may fit the profile of the magazine well.

Attached are some pics of the gun disassembled. If this reply will not hold enough of the pictures I took, I will post another reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4455.jpg (525.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4456.jpg (491.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4457.jpg (237.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4454.jpg (472.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 11:00 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Action looks very similar to Henry survival rifle. Maybe one of those mags would work.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:23 AM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I have a J.G.Landmann in .22 Magnum. It is the same receiver as the .22 LR but has a goofy looking pipe like piece sticking out the rear of the receiver. The magazines for the magnum look like a Mossberg 640 magazine that has been reworked on the backside..Lips removed and a groove cut across the back for the mag catch to hook into....If it wasn't such a complete PITA to post pictures I would do so.

Last edited by mossbergnut; 09-05-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:35 AM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Google Preetz model 65...try Preetz model 68.....and then Preetz 69. You should find a picture of the magazine you need.

Last edited by mossbergnut; 09-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With so many mags out there you are bound to find one close enough to modify as needed. I personally would NEVER alter the firearm because once done it can't go back. You can always find or even make a magazine to fit this. Just be patience and keep looking. It does look like a AR-7 mag style opening, maybe check out those other leads on where to find an original mag, just not sure how much you want to "invest" in this this. I would because i'm a sucker for odd and wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Fishoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doubtful too!

Thanks Mossbergnut and Baby Automag. Paying $80 to a German supply house is probably not in the cards. I think more in line with Baby Automag and will try to be patient enough to let a workable alterable magazine appear. It seems like every time I rush to get a rare part, one magically appears right after I have paid through the schnoz.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Fishoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink Dimensions of Mag opening

After reviewing numerous Ebay ads for .22lr magazines I found some that look promising. It looks like I will have to try to find a close fit and then alter the magazine housing to make it fit the mag well on the rifle. I intend not to alter the rifle. There seems to be 2 options:

First: Obtain a Mossberg 702 magazine or similar and, if necessary, add metal to the sides by silver soldering sheet metal to the sides to make it a snug fit. Also it would need a method of retaining the magazine in the rifle by either adding a piece of metal for the lever to lock it in, or cutting a notch in the mag for the magazine release lever to lock it in.

Second: Obtain a MAB model G or GZ magazine. Then alter it to fit as needed similar to the description above.

I have attached a picture with edits to show the dimensions of the magazine opening. Please check dimensions of any Mossberg 702 or MAB model GZ magazines you have and let me know what the dimensions are for A, B, and C.
Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedInkedZ-l1600_LI.jpg (192.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a good idea there to show what size you need. Did you ever thing to take your rifle shopping to your local gun shops? Some of them might know what mags would be closest to fit. There has got to be a mag that is really close enough to work without all that solder this or that.
There are tons of old mags around, maybe the one man gun shop down the road has a few laying around to check through.
Just my thought.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
That's a good idea there to show what size you need. Did you ever thing to take your rifle shopping to your local gun shops? Some of them might know what mags would be closest to fit. There has got to be a mag that is really close enough to work without all that solder this or that.
There are tons of old mags around, maybe the one man gun shop down the road has a few laying around to check through.
Just my thought.
Best suggestion yet IMO. Probably save time and money.