Short magazines? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Are only guys using S&W mags experiencing these “ Issues” with their Catch 22 ?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
Gator, I'm pretty sure the C22 is only effective (for LRBO, that is) when using S&W mags. So while the C22 would probably work manually to simply hold the bolt open when the rifle was empty, to utilize the "automatic" LRBO feature you have to use the S&W mags. The S&W mags have a special follower that works in concert with the C22. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post

Gator, I'm pretty sure the C22 is only effective (for LRBO, that is) when using S&W mags. So while the C22 would probably work manually to simply hold the bolt open when the rifle was empty, to utilize the "automatic" LRBO feature you have to use the S&W mags. The S&W mags have a special follower that works in concert with the C22. Hope this makes sense.
If I use only CMMG mags or BDM mags with the C22 it has no issue to speak of then ?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
76DFD5E0-B92C-4938-B5DF-51AC13D48E9A_1552501628719.jpg I'm planning on running the C22 in this rig (Dedicated 22 XM177E1 ) since I run the CMMG BHOA setups in my favorite Centerfire Carbine Rigs with an early CMMG SS conversion unit .
Old 09-05-2019, 10:33 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
If I use only CMMG mags or BDM mags with the C22 it has no issue to speak of then ?
The catch 22 relies on the rear, external lug that the Smith mags have. There are one or two other magazines on the market that have this rear lug as well that will work as a LRHO when used with the catch 22.

The catch 22 can be manually operated to hold the bolt open when the magazine is removed but the last round hold open feature requires a magazine that cooperates with its design

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 11:08 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
The direct answer is yes. The problems I note arise only if the C22 is used as a last round bolt hold open, and the most effective magazine for having a functional LRBHO is the S&W.

Quote:

One of us uses a C22 just for that, since an open bolt and no magazine is required during cease fires is mandated at some ranges.

I jinxed myself. My LRBHO was mostly ineffective today. Looks like the shim goes back on tonight.

Last edited by zukiphile; 09-05-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:32 AM
WVdavidB

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My C22 didn't do LRBHO so I removed it. I use the BMA and S&W mags now. I just couldn't get the S&W mags to work right with the C22 and w/o the BMA. It's like they rocked around in the magwell too much. But I didn't want to fully dedicate the lower to 22 only even though it pretty much is so I'm sticking to the BMA. Since I have a Franklin in this lower I wanted the option to slap on another AR pistol upper. But then I added a Law Tactical folder so I'm back to being dedicated unless I have that bolt plug with me. But I can't complain it's a fun little plinker that fills the void my SlideFire 10/22 used to occupy. Stupid Trump!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdavidB View Post
My C22 didn't do LRBHO so I removed it. I use the BMA and S&W mags now. I just couldn't get the S&W mags to work right with the C22 and w/o the BMA. It's like they rocked around in the magwell too much. But I didn't want to fully dedicate the lower to 22 only even though it pretty much is so I'm sticking to the BMA. Since I have a Franklin in this lower I wanted the option to slap on another AR pistol upper. But then I added a Law Tactical folder so I'm back to being dedicated unless I have that bolt plug with me. But I can't complain it's a fun little plinker that fills the void my SlideFire 10/22 used to occupy. Stupid Trump!

WV--the "rocking" of the S&W mags is easily solved by "shimming" the mags (or the magwell) with shims sold by the C22 folks. Also, some lowers need a slightly modified C22 to run well with the S&W mags. Mine was one of them.... The C22 modification is simply affixing (JB Weld works well) a brass shim (about .030") that has been trimmed/shaped to fit the underside of the C22. This causes the C22 to rise slightly higher when contacted by the S&W follower, and more securely holds the bolt open. I think the C22 folks should make the product slightly thicker in this area to effect maximum engagement with the CMMG bolt design, 'cause I have seen this problem with more than one lower. Just ask Zuk!

I guess all this is moot now that you are using the BMA, just wanted to say that the C22/S&W mag combo CAN be "massaged" to work well together.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:55 PM
WVdavidB

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I ended up.ordering some of the shims after the fact. Forme the BMA works best as its removable in the field. Mine did fit tight though! Just wish the little follower piece of it was captured so it didn't fly away. I am the guy who lost the Rem 1100 charging handle the first day on the range with a Wingmaster my uncle gave me. Was fine and dandy fir years in his fun cabinet. I take it out once and lose the handle and put a small scratch on the stock! I guess that's me... now I know why guys have beater ARs or AKs instead of safe queens.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:

I guess all this is moot now that you are using the BMA, just wanted to say that the C22/S&W mag combo CAN be "massaged" to work well together.
It never occurred to me that someone would use the C22, S&W magazines and not shim the magazines or mag well.

The C22 people are very committed to the idea of an AR lower that is quickly convertible between rimfire and center fire use. The magazine adapter clip may make the magazine seem still loose, but it puts the magazine just where it needs to be.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:00 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdavidB View Post
I ended up.ordering some of the shims after the fact. Forme the BMA works best as its removable in the field. Mine did fit tight though! Just wish the little follower piece of it was captured so it didn't fly away.
My BMA ground the anodizing out of the corners of the magazine well. It sounded pretty ugly going in, but I think it works better when the fit is firm.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oy vey , ground off , shims , ... I’m nowhere near warming up to those fugly S&W Mags and the bits & pieces needed to operate with them
Old 09-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Gator Monroe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If S&W mags and their needed proprietary parts were so en vogue RTB would carry them by now 🤔
Old 09-07-2019, 07:03 PM
WVdavidB

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah mine needed some rubber mallet persuasion. Now I can get it in and out without the blunt force trauma.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:30 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
If S&W mags and their needed proprietary parts were so en vogue RTB would carry them by now 🤔
https://www.righttobear.com/Catch22-...-p/catch22.htm