Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mark IV Ruger at it's best

This is just my opinion and as can be expected not everyone has the same opinion.

I have a Mark III Competition and a Mark IV Hunter and a Mark IV 22/45 Tactical. I have had the Mark II and all though all Marks have been good shooters by far the Mark IV is the best of all worlds. I use to think my Mark III Competition was my best shooter out of all my Marks. But I just put on a set of Majestic arms Mark IV thumb rest target grips on my Mark IV Hunter. Those grips raised it to equal the Competition. Took it to the range and what a day of plinking. I could not miss the plates today. Love those thumb rest grips from Majestic arms. They are better than the Competition thumb rest grips from Ruger.

Anyway the Mark IV being the best. It has the Magazine release where all American firearms should have it, where the Mark II had it at the bottom of the grip. It does not have the LCI like the Mark III have. It has the one button take down which just blows the others out of the water. Can I easily take down my Mark III, yes but still not near the ease of the Mark IV or as covenant as the Mark IV. I have Volquartsen everything in all my Marks innards, which does not bother me. I know that I will be installing the Volquartsen innards when I buy the pistol. So does not surprise me on the extra expense.
Ruger just dominates the 22lr. market in my opinion and well deserved. They did very well with the Mark IV.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mark Iv Hunter is my first Ruger Mark. I like it so well that I have a Mark IV Standard on layaway as a Christmas present to me.

I own several nice 22 pistols and revolvers. The Hunter is my favorite. If I could sometime run into a used Mark ll or lll at a good price I would be tempted to pick it up just to learn the takedown procedure Iíve heard so much about.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
...They did very well with the Mark IV.
Agreed!

FWIW, I tried the "MkIV Hunter upper on my 22\45 Lite lower" and the "22\45 Lite upper on the Hunter lower". The lower actions (dry-firing) work exactly as the normal match-ups, but haven't yet tried this at the range punching target holes at 25 yds...expect the uppers accuracy to also be equal to the regular match-ups!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger MkIV Switch-Ups.jpg (259.5 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 03:20 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Theo,
Those are both great looking pistols
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Theo,
Those are both great looking pistols
Thanks JF!

Also considering the MkIV "Blue Anodized Upper" to go on top the Hunter SS lower to match my VQ Blue laminated grip panels!?!

However, the "Red-White(silver)-Blue" pattern does have a nice patriotic look to it!

Ted

BTW, Congratulations to the USA River Ridge "World Champion" Little League Team!!!

Last edited by Theo98; 08-26-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I mated a 4" barreled Mk III 22/45 upper with a Volquartsen lower that had the "standard" grip angle, since I have a Mk IV Target in the standard angle as well.

Amazingly accurate, great fun to shoot. But still harder to put back together than the Mk IV, although I am improving.

Last edited by SailDesign; 08-26-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
The Mark IV is Ruger's best ? ...I do have a MK IV model a 22/45 Lite . I do like it very much and yes the take down makes cleaning and maintenance very easy. I think Ruger did a great job with updating the Mark series of pistols while maintaining the classic look of these handguns .However I still like my MK II models !
Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mark Iv hunter with all VQ innards and a TK trigger. I think just about every screw that could get loose on the gun did so within the 1st 500 rounds. Nothing that blue loctite didnít fix.

It is a delight to shoot without question . But my Buckmark with VQ hammer and trigger feels better and is more reliable for me. The browning runs and runs. My Mark Iv has some finicky days .

I think the aftermarket gives the Mark Iv the edge. My VQ trigger kit comes in at 18 oz. Thatís a half pound lighter than my SW model 41 was.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:56 PM
GIShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some folks get so technical and really do not silve the issue! I put a Victory trigger in my Hunter and used a Wheeler Fat Wrench to torque EVERYTHING and I can shoot any ammo from rapid fire to target shooting. The firearm is deadly accurate!
Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
GIShooter,
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing a lot from you.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103
This is just my opinion and as can be expected not everyone has the same opinion.

Anyway the Mark IV being the best. It has the Magazine release where all American firearms should have it, where the Mark II had it at the bottom of the grip. It does not have the LCI like the Mark III have. It has the one button take down which just blows the others out of the water.

They did very well with the Mark IV.
I'm one of those with a different opinion.

The MKII heel release did need updated, but the push button release is the only thing I dislike about my MKIII. I would like it fine if it were made ambidextrous like on the SR22. As it is, I can't reach it with the gun in my right hand. So I have to choose between hitting the button with my left hand and ejecting the mag onto the ground, or moving the pistol to my left hand to change mags with my right hand. I hate that and don't understand why any right-handed person would like the MKIII/MKIV release design.

The LCI design of the MKIII was an abomination IMO. I wouldn't have minded an LCI if it were designed in a way that didn't result in the bolt and receiver being chopped up, and if it didn't make cleaning the breech be a major pain. Thankfully, pulling a pin and installing a slot filler mostly fixed the MKIII LCI problem.

Ruger did do some good things with the MKIV. Better guiding of the mag into the mag well was one, and the push button takedown wasn't too bad. But it only saved about 5 seconds total in takedown/cleaning/reassembly over my MKII and MKIII with the hammer strut positioners I added. That small time savings means nothing to me, especially since the MKIV complete takedown, detail cleaning, and complete reassembly is MUCH more of a pain than either my MKII or MKIII. That takes at least 15 additional minutes - not counting the time to hunt through all the hex keys searching for the "right one" for each screw. Bah Humbug!!!

Additionally, there's that AWEFUL safety lever design. The stupid thing sits in the way of my thumb when on Fire, and is out of the way when on Safe. What's up with that?

The MKIV being the best design? I personally hated it enough I sold mine as soon as I could find a buyer. I don't miss it at all. My vote for the best design is the MKII. A slight mod to the heel release (at zero cost) + adding a strut positioner (at .03 cost) = PERFECTION!!! Those who want to spend $100+ "fixing up" a MKIV are welcome to it. YMMV.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:19 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes Test Engineer,
Love your opinion, and that's what makes the world go around. It would be boring if we weren't a little different.
I had a 10" Mark II once, first thing I did was buy a Mark III lower for the Magazine release button to put on it. Made it a great pistol. I have the hammer strut positioner in my Mark III along with the LCI filler. I have no problem but it is hard to believe the Mark IV, as far as cleaning I do not take mine completely down. For a through cleaning I just take the grips off and spray the lower with non chlorinated brake cleaner (steel frames only). Which is not very often. The upper I clean after every range use. The safety levers for me because I have smaller hands never get in my way at all. My hands are not big so no interference even left my right side safety on.

I have enjoyed all your posts and read them all. Thanks for the reply on this post it is always interesting to hear everybody's differences.
Respectfully
Jeff
Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You know what they say about opinions.

Human hands come in a great deal of sizes. Ruger seems to build the MK pistols in only one size so it might fit your hand perfectly or might be too large or too small for another person. I find the MK IV just about idea and prefer itís safety to the one on my MKIII.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:22 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my Mark IV 22/45 so much that I bought a second one and did a total Volquartsen upgrade to #1 but left #2 alone except for VQ innards and a red dot sight.

I don't have a problem taking apart my Mark III for a deep cleaning but the Mark IV beats it all day long. Anyone that has to take the screws off to clean the gun is just a going too far.

I never keep any of my guns stock. The Mark IV is fun to work on and even when I added the first Volquartsen Accurizing Kit I had fun. I had to take it apart and put it back together 3 times because I had to send the gun back to Ruger for some work. Each time I got better at it and now it only takes me 30 minutes to take everything off the gun and reinstall afterwards.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If this is a beauty contest, or dress up on Saturday night sure the new marks win the bathing suit contest. Not necessarily my contest, but for some people ok.

If you want to talk out of the box shooting for accuracy, operation, trigger, fit and bug-free the Mk II was the pinnacle of Ruger Mark product line.

Some people could not deal with the MkII disassembly. Those people own ZERO Mark guns. For that person, who now owns a Mk IV, obviosly the Mk IV is not only the best, it is the only.

I speak as owner of bone stock Mk I and MkII and totally gutted MkIII and Mk IV. the Mk II Govt is the most accurate with a good stock trigger. The hunter has my limit of bling appeal. Many of the guns posted here I would not take as a gift.