Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 AM
chetc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
custom 10 22

my model 1235 shoots nice, there are a few accurate bolt action 22 lr here at the local range which seem to be more accurate, can a 10 22 be nearly as accurate or on par, if so where do i start, will just a barrel do, my trigger is fine, is a custom action a must, groups are around in the .2s my 1235 is averaging around .6 with certain ammo at 50yds, am i being realistic trying to get close compete with some of the anshutz's

chet
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
ONE word.. KIDD.
Barrel/Trigger/Booletts/Bangswitch Operator = accuracy.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/

If interested I can help.. PM me.

Last edited by Chaser; 09-05-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The short answer is "no". Your stock semi auto has about as much chance to shoot with an Anschutz as your Silverado has to out run a ZR1 Corvette.
with that said, I have a parts gun built on a Brownells receiver with stock Ruger bolt, BX trigger, and Ruger Target barrel that is shooting 50 yard groups in the .3s. With CCI SV. One of these days I am going to try some high dollar ammo and see just what it can do. To shoot as well as the custom guns you are going to need to either spend a lot of money on a custom gun or get really lucky. The first option is the best bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
ONE word.. KIDD.
Barrel/Trigger/Booletts = accuracy.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/

If interested I can help.. PM me.
You forgot one more component to accuracy Chaser... The person pulling the trigger.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
You forgot one more component to accuracy Chaser... The person pulling the trigger.
OOPS.. fixed it = Barrel/Trigger/Booletts/Bangswitch Operator = accuracy.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am reminded of the old saying,"if you have to ask.....". But I know you are legit in wondering.
Sadly, Imo, you will approach or achieve victory only with comparable equipment to the line; this means gun, ammo, 'other' (rest, etc.), lots of trigger time and a fair bit o' luck. Trying to use lesser equipment will get you trigger time and experience, all good, but you wont be 'competitive'. At this point maybe that doesnt matter as much as learning some stuff BEFORE getting too heavily invested.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think your next step is to send your gun off to CPC, for $250 get the complete works, chamber cut bolt and trigger work cleaning hole.And ask Randy what you can do to get the most out of your gun. Buy a good rest and rear bag and a case of good ammo. And. Refine. Your technique... After that , Kidd makes a very nice taper barrel.
You can squeeze more accuracy out of your gun, but intrinsically a bolt gun is always going to have the advantage. The breach is locked and the bolt isnít moving . This is somewhat offset by the fact at on a 1022 there should be less shooter movement than on a bolt gun. But a good bolt shooter is pretty slick.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2019, 07:51 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I think your next step is to send your gun off to CPC, for $250 get the complete works, chamber cut bolt and trigger work cleaning hole.And ask Randy what you can do to get the most out of your gun. Buy a good rest and rear bag and a case of good ammo. And. Refine. Your technique... After that , Kidd makes a very nice taper barrel.
You can squeeze more accuracy out of your gun, but intrinsically a bolt gun is always going to have the advantage. The breach is locked and the bolt isnít moving . This is somewhat offset by the fact at on a 1022 there should be less shooter movement than on a bolt gun. But a good bolt shooter is pretty slick.

Good luck!
I guess I will engage a member hell bent on building post count while not adding much to the conversation. Paying CPC $250 to improve a rifle that shoots as good as his would be a waste of $$$ IMO.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Anschutz sporters or anschutz match rifles? which action?

i have an Anschutz 64 mpr that will shoot zero's at 50y, i have a 64 match that shoots low .2s at 50. i have a CZ that shoots mid .teens at 50, i also have a 10/22 that shoots mid teens. so while my best rifle is an anschutz, i have a cz and a 10/22 that outshoot a second very good anschutz of mine. they arent all equal. and the anschutz sporters typically shoot between 1/2 to MOA, with most being about 1/2 way in between. so really, you need to determine your accuracy requirement.

Last edited by Clem-E; 09-06-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I think that if you want to compete with the higher end bolt guns in bench rest you would be better off buying a higher bolt gun . Not sure how much $$$ you are willing to spend or exactly what your accuracy expectations are but you will have to pay for a higher level of accuracy . I have a $165.00 Feddersen 16.25" fluted bull barrel set in an OEM Ruger receiver with a Brimstone Tier 1 trigger that produces consistent 1/4" -3/8" 5 round groups at 50 yds. using Lapua Center X. At around $110 per brick it's not plinking ammo but it does give an idea of the Fedderen barrels capabilty. With mid priced ammo such as SK Standard Plus groups are a consistent 3/8" - 1/2" for 5 rounds at 50 yds. I think the Feddersen barrrels give great value for the $$ spent & I have been very happy with mine. I don't compete with this gun nor would I expect it to be competitive at a serious bench rest match . This is just to give you an idea of what other options are out there .

Last edited by Empe; 09-07-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
IMO, you never can tell how a barrel with shoot. I have 2 kidd barrels that shoot 1/2 MOA and better at 50y and have done it with good lots of SK, and had 1 that was about 4 MOA, and another that barely made MOA with lapua. Here is my list of 50y rifle accuracy records for stuff i have. these are bests, but on a given day this is about where they will place in order with my other stuff:

2003 Anschutz 64 MPR .087" Lapua pistol king

16.5" old kidd SS bull barrel: .156" SK magazine

CZ 452 Varmint: .160" Eley Team

GM HT sporter .196" SK

CZ 452 american .202" SK

Feddersen 16.5" threaded .209" CCI std (the replacement for my 2 bad kidd barrels) -it normally shoots mid .3s

1965 anschutz 64 match .227" SK magazine

older 20" kidd SS bull barrel .255" Eley Match

Clark 21.5" chromoly bull .271" Eley Match

i havent really gotten around to testing some of my other stuff as much. i have had factory carbine barrels that have shot between 1/2" and 2" at 50y. I have an older 10/22 T barrel that is unmodified that has shot high .2s, but i havent really had it that long so i havent tested it much. then there were my 2 crappy kidd barrels, which i guess were an anomaly, but 2 in a row makes me question QC these days. my 455 trainer is around a 1/2 MOA at 50 rifle, and my 455 tacticool is around 3/4 MOA at 50. my savage b22 is around MOA. then you get into each different barrels ammo preference. its hard to say which rifle, or even individual barrel is going to shoot the lights out. for every anschutz that shoots the lights out, seems like there are a half dozen that shoot between 3/4-1 moa at 50, both 54 and 64 actions. as the old saying goes, if you want a stupid accurate rifle...buy 10.

it really depends on what you are doing with the rifle. that will dictate what you buy for the rifle/barrel/optics/trigger and ammo. it will also determine how much accuracy you need. for a badass bolt gun, i would either look at a vudoo or a anschutz 54 barrelled action with a target barrel (not a sporter), and put it in a stock that is best for your needs. or, you could go the 10/22 route, for most people a built 10/22 can easily surpass their accuracy needs; and you can also build them into whatever you want.

Last edited by Clem-E; 09-07-2019 at 02:26 PM.