Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:58 AM
Sir Ville
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I shot a lot of Aguila HV ammo few years back when i won a case of them in a Competition.
Surprisingly accurate ammo and although not a Match ammo by any means i wouldnít hesitate to use it for ie Crow/Rabbit disposal at longer ranges.

Regarding ES/SD : The 22LR round with least spread in V0 is , of course, individual from Rifle to Rifle but ie SK Biathlon Sport had an ES at 3mps / 10rds in my 1710 HB and Quad HB . Havenít chronoed it in my T1 but it sure shoots tiny groups so i quess the ES is in low numbers.

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Norwegianrimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the long shots try someting made by Eley, RWS, Norma(often RWS made), SK and Lapua. The Winchester Sub HP is also impressive.

At 200 meters(218 yards) I use SK Match Rifle for exercise, and the Eley Team at matches.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Lokipaux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From another forum, SK Long Range Match.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/l...mmunition.html

Not available until April 2019.

I have used Eley Force .22LR in my 10/22 for long range competitions 12-300yds. Many of the competitors use CCI SV. In the long range competitions I have shot, the targets at longer distances are 3-4 MOA, and sometimes small silhouettes. You just need something that will group well at 50 and a scope that has enough adjustment range to reach your longest distance.

Last edited by Lokipaux; 02-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:47 PM
ibbuckshot
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Greeting folks,
Thanks for a great responses.....A good deal of food for thought.....We don't have much room but do shoot at 30 yards...We have a small but consistent turn out and shoot two times a month mimicking long range by using smaller targets along with shooting swingers, an ax, cards and matches.....I find my self always attempting to eliminate the flyers....I am out there with the first , second, third, forth all cutting one beautiful little bug hole and then , %%%%, a flyer for no apparent reason.....I am going to be trying some upper crust ammo but am wondering why the Eley tenex has both round nose and flat nose bullets ? ? ? Can anyone shed any light on this ? Again thanks for all your ideas....

May the force be with you,
buckshot
Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Okay, you asked and I didn't know, so exercise the google-fu.

According to Eley the flat nose was designed to keep the center of pressure,
generated by the forward motion of the bullet through the atmosphere,
further forward than the location of the center of pressure on the round nose.
This is supposed to enhance projectile stability and improve accuracy.

Good thing you asked, otherwise I'd of never known.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I did buy a case of Aguila intercepter cheap on GunBroger no less. I think to move farther than 300 & hope to get to 500 I need hotter ammo & the intercepter at 100 yards is the same as my SV at the muzzle so in theory I've gained 100' yards, we'll see I hope. I have serious mobility issues now from breaking my back & may have something much worse, hope not.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:15 PM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbuckshot View Post
Greeting folks,
I checked the search file but found nothing on ammo being used out to the 300 to 400 yard ranges....What are you folks using to reach out there to 200 and beyond ?
Have fun,
buckshot
Buckshot,
My background is long range centerfire benchrest, steel and Egg shoots. I shot 3 IBS 600yds world records. I can shoot groups, but like shooting steel, match sticks, splitting plating cards. Guys need to remember 150 yds. with rimfire = 600yds with a centerfire. 200yds. = 1000yds. I would have to look it for 300 and 400. At 200yds rimfire/ 1000yds centerfire, your zero will only hold center for a few seconds if conditions are changing. When shooting groups at 200yds how do you know what happen to that flier, was it ammo, was it the wind, was it bad gun handling. I am with Topstrap I find ammo that shoot at 50 yds. When shoot it long range. you at the mercy of the weather. You will get low hits and high hits, and misses. That is the nature of the rimfire Beast. It will do it with best ammo made. In most cases the higher priced ammo will do better. I have a lot of Wolf ME that will out shoot any ammo I have.

Mark
Old 03-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Lokipaux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Things I have learned from shooting .22LR out to 300 yards.

1 SV ammo is less affected by the wind at 300y than HV ammo. http://www.ballisticsapp.com/22-ballistics.htm

2. What was said above - look for an ammo (and rifle) that will shoot under 1/2" at 50y and 1" at 100y. This is basically 1 MOA accuracy.

3. Have a scope that will dial out to 300y. With my ammo, 300y is 13.3 mils. That's about 46 MOA. I have the Burris Signature rings with +30 MOA and a Vortex HST 6-24x50 scope.

4. Learn to read the wind. The wind where you are shooting from has more of an effect on your bullet than the wind 200y downrange. But downrange wind does have SOME effect. Practice shooting in different winds.

5. Know your distance. My Precision Rimfire matches give us the distances, but I check them with my rangefinder.

6. Use a good ballistic app. I use Strelock Pro ($20) on my phone. I use the chronographed MV for my ammo and I adjust the velocity for the actual drop between 50y and 100y. I use the RA4 BC for calculations.

This doesn't mean I hit the target every time. I really suck at the PRACTICE part and wind reading. But I keep shooting and trying.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wind drift doesn't worry me. I can compensate for drift.
I can use wind flags to choose the moment to squeeze.
Turbulence is another game entirely.
No telling what a swirl is going to do.
Up/down/right/left/headwind/tailwind all in a roiling bundle.
Cartridge defects and mv changes are out of my hands with rimfire.
Every shot is a roll of the dice.
It's why I end up giggling as that pill wobbles into the target at 200 yards.
It's possible to see the bullet path against the white of the backer that last 20 yards.
32X scope shows the silhouette against the background.

I don't care if it's hi-v or subsonic rimfire.
If the ammo quality is there, the results will be tight.
If the cartridges have production defects, there's no telling where the round will end up.

Last edited by jaia; 03-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Lokipaux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to share this:

"The theoretical vertical dispersion at 50 metres for the .22LR standard projectile is then 1mm for every 3.9 ft/sec. change in muzzle velocity."

From this article:

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/articl...dispersion.htm

Of course, this is dependent on the muzzle velocity of the round and the BC. But, in a no wind (yeah, right) situation, at a long enough distance, the differences in velocity that give you 1/2" to 1" at 100 yards could cause you to be off target at a greater distance.

The advertising for the SK Long Range Match says they tried to control the ES/SD to help with this. I just received my first brick of that ammo and cannot wait to see how it shoots.

Now, I just have to convince everyone else at the indoor range to stop shooting so my LabRadar can trigger on my little .22LR report!
Old 09-01-2019, 05:09 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 ammo for long range

My Fellow Shooters:
I recommend Aguila Interceptor be tried for long range use. I made thorough tests and trials of it 2008-2009 using a CZ ULTRALUX SUPEREXCLUSIVE. I cronographed it giving 1462-1468 fps from the 28.5" barrel. This beat most match ammo for consistency of velocity. Something not so positive was that it fouled out in about 12 rounds leaving the bore crusty from about 8" in front of the chamber to about 18". Accuracy usually deteriorated from that. I cleaned from the breach and shot from a clean dry bore getting 1 minute of angle accuracy to 300 meters after which the groups grew to 6.5-7" at 400 meters for reasons unknown. It took elevation of ca. 150 quarter minute clicks over 300 meters to get on target at 400 meters. I had to max out my elevation and lower my front sight for 10" at 500 meters and bottom out the front and hold 12:00 at 600 meters on a 2 ft bull for 12-19" groups. All shooting was from the bench in still air at ca. 80 F. Penetration was surprising at 300 meters going through a Tampa phone book which CCI Blazer did not go through at 50 yards. At 600 meters penetration was bullet length plus 1/16th" like an air gun. Recently I hit an 8" steel plate consistently at 300 meters using Interceptor from a Savage Mark II Model G, so it is still pretty capable ammo. Try it always remembering its fouling problem which you can clean to counteract. I found the results worth the trouble.
Respectfully Yours,
William Harper

Last edited by William Harper; 09-05-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:33 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I tried it recently.
Quality control at Aguila appears to have dropped significantly.
Visible cartridge defects include dents, dings, sloppy seating, ES of 90 fps for 50 rounds.
Viewing the images used for current advertising show it to be typical bulk hi-v cp 22lr.
It's no longer being produced to a level of quality that it was 10 years ago.

Those noses may be flat, but they aren't square with the center line of the cartridges.
Way too many dents and dings to be considered quality ammunition.
Bullet shoulders have different profiles, zoom to view the transition to the drive bands.
That's supposed to be the best pic of the product to encourage sales.

Last edited by jaia; 09-01-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry .22 ammo for long range

Dear Jaia:
I tried a new lot of Aguila Interceptor in 2017 in a scoped Savage Mark II model G on NOREMH's personal range at 100 yards. Externally there appeared to be nothing wrong with them. Accuracy proved to be a monotonous 1.5" at 100 yards.
On the Auerbach range south of Montgomery, AL at 300 meters using the same rifle the average group was 4.5" by 6.5" . I still have 250 rounds of that good brick.
If you have defective looking ammo from Aguila, in your shoes I would return it to them as unacceptable letting them know of our concern as comrades at RC that a good load ought not to be allowed to go bad from negligence. I hope that you get to try a fine lot of this load from a clean, dry bore making sure to clean its fouling from the breach every ten shots as if you were shooting a black powder .45-70. That was what it took for me to get best performance from this hairy load.
I hope we can look forward to better Aguila Interceptor from now on. Thank you for the alert. Let us press Aguila.
Respectfully Yours,
William Harper
Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thank you for the follow up William.
See if you can put your hands on some recently produced Aguila.
Let me know if it looks to be made as well as the older product you have.
I've tried 3 different orders from 3 different retailers.
Results were unsatisfactory.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought some Aguila super extra sv to try just because itís cheap and I was curious about how good it would shoot. It wasnít very good at accuracy in every thing I shot it in until I tried it in my new at that time Ruger precision rim fire. The rifle shoots CCI-SV very well, better than some brands of ammo that are more expensive. It will do slightly less than an inch at 100 yds. with little wind with sv. The Aguila shot just as good as the sv in this one rifle at 50 yards. I havenít tried it at 100. I donít remember any FTF at all with the several boxes I shot but it does have a distinctive odor. It also seemed well made, no dinged cases or bullets at all.