Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:41 AM
RedSpecial

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reising M65 w/ excessive trigger pull

I have a Reising M65 (.22 trainer) that has some excessive trigger pull. Feels like youíre trying to pull start a freight train. If I polish these two surfaces, do you think itíll lighten up the trigger?

https://imgur.com/a/s2vkvBQ
Old 08-28-2019, 08:45 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My late model version has a sear adjustment screw, yours likely not, but not sure. And the mil-types would most likely be spec'ed for a min 3.5ish # pull.
Start with all the bits clean and dry, put each back in one at a time and check for smoothness of function. The incremental stacking adds up from each part. As each passes the tests, lube and proceed to the next.
Take a look at those contact surfaces using a magnifier. They may well be rough/scored from lack of lube or maintenance. A very light stoning, in the direction of movement, to dress out the high spots may be Ok, but dont try to 'glass em', you may well go through whatever is left of the case hardening. Keep the stone Flat And Square, Do Not Round Off the Trip Edge Or Change Any Angle.
Assemble for function test as with the other parts. Iirc the long rod going forward caused mine some considerable drag. Once they all pass lube and assemble and on the clean and dry sear contacts apply a dab of automotive anti-seize.
I did a function test with the barreled action out of the stock.
Btw, not sure on the early model, but the recoil spring tension on mine can be fine tuned to ammo by how tight the rear assembly screw is tightened.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM
RedSpecial

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you, there is a lot of information to digest there. My Reising is a very early serial number, it is #745. I took everything apart and put all the parts in an ultra sonic cleaner and got them very cleaned and then sprayed them down with Rem-Oil. I used simple green as the agent to clean the parts and the water went from green to black while cleaning the parts.

When I put it back together it seemed marginally better but it is still excessive. I bet the pull is north of 15lbs. I actually have checked to make sure the safety was off because of how hard it is. Being an early rifle it does not have the set screw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 12:30 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It seems like a lot considering it as a whole but it is just one part at a time to find what the real culprit is.
The rotating parts (ie, the trigger on its pin) just need some light bodied oil, heavier load parts benefit from something a bit 'thicker' and the heaviest of all that anti-seize does wonders.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:23 PM
RedSpecial

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I figured it out. I did as you suggested and went slowly and step by step to see where the issue lied. Those two points I arrowed to in my first post had nothing to do with it and luckily I didn’t do any thing to modify it. It seemed that the problem was originating where the sear catches onto the hammer. It took excessive force to move the sear away from the lip on the hammer was hanging up a lot. I tried different oils and even grease to see if that would help out but it did not.

Reaching frustration I figured, well I have a second Reising M65 (with great trigger pull) might as well take them both apart and compare part to part. Took it apart and almost everything matched... except the main spring. The main springs are completely different. So I swapped and put the good spring in subject rifle and the trigger is beautiful and the other rifle with the bad spring and the trigger pull transferred itself with the main spring. So, I need to hunt down a good main spring. Here is a side by side picture. You can see how horribly off the one spring is from the other.

Thanks for the guidance.

Neil

Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 PM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like someone replaced it at one time
Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Gregor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found springs at Numrich, just had to adjust the main spring length a couple of coils to function with standard velocity ammo.
HTH Greg
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 PM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All you needed to do was back off the bumper plug a couple of clicks. That releases spring preload