Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:48 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another "new" camera -this time a DSLR

For the last couple of years, I've been acquiring and shooting various Nikon Coolpix superzoom cameras (P530, B700, P1000, A1000). My subjects are mainly landscapes and wildlife. All of these cameras share the same small sensor, a 1/2.3" BSI CMOS with a crop factor of ~5.6. The small sensor is a trade-off to achieve large zoom in a non-interchangeable lens camera. One of downsides is that the small sensor doesn't do well in low light situations.

Recently, I decided to try a DSLR with interchangeable lenses. Since all the Coolpix cameras I own have PSAM modes, the basic "manual of arms" for a DSLR is not totally new. OTOH, not knowing whether I'd like the change or run back to the old familiar gear, I bought a body and lenses that Nikon had "renewed" for a substantially lower price than new equipment. Here's the line-up.

Nikon D5600 body (1" APS-C sensor)
AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (came with body)
AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

With a maximum zoom capability of 300mm (1.5 crop factor so 35mm equivalent is 450mm) it's not capable of superzoom but I still have my Coolpix gear for that. OTOH, I've gained a significantly larger sensor.

Here's comparison of 70mm vs 300mm.

Birds in flight are always a challenge but here's my first attempt with the 70-300mm lens. It's a blue heron (I think). It was a long way off so this is a 100% crop from the original. I think the reason that cropped image has decent IQ reflects the larger sensor.

The bottom line is that I'm happy with this new gear and its capability.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:20 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Darrell Davis
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bluzman,

Thanks for the info. I at times wish I had more zoom capability. Your 70 - 300mm seems pretty good.

I came from the film generation, having been a studio, Wedding, commercial photographer for a number of years. When we closed the studio, I bought some film Nikons and a few lenses.

When I finally decided to go to a digital SLR, it took me awhile to move that way.

Talked to a wedding photographer shooting a Nikon D100 and ask him what he thought. The man said something like, "I'd never want another one," which seemed a bit funny considering that is what he was using. Trying to clarify his comment I ask another question and he clarified by saying, "I'd never need another."

Meaning, that the D100 was doing everything he needed, He was happy.

Well, looking at the DSLR Nikons available, the one thing that was a must do, was the body must fit and function with some of my older "AI" lenses.

There were cheaper and lower level bodies, but the one I chose, the D200, has been great, and though generations of bodies "old" at this point is still way more able then my needs.

I was surprised at the price my older bodies and a few lenses brought on E-Bay.

Guess I'll need to cruse the web a bit and see what might be available.

Even with, "kit lenses" computer technology has GREATLY increased the ability to produce crisp and high resolution images, but I still enjoy my few remailing AI Nikon lenses. Especially the Micro-Nikkor 55 mm with it's extension tube.

Maybe I should check the value of my 105mm F2.5 and 28mm f2.8. Have not used either one of those lenses in years although the 28mm with the reversing ring might be something interesting to try with the DSLR.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 02:12 PM
Straightshooter1
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
For the last couple of years, I've been acquiring and shooting various Nikon Coolpix superzoom cameras (P530, B700, P1000, A1000). My subjects are mainly landscapes and wildlife. All of these cameras share the same small sensor, a 1/2.3" BSI CMOS with a crop factor of ~5.6. The small sensor is a trade-off to achieve large zoom in a non-interchangeable lens camera. One of downsides is that the small sensor doesn't do well in low light situations.

Recently, I decided to try a DSLR with interchangeable lenses. Since all the Coolpix cameras I own have PSAM modes, the basic "manual of arms" for a DSLR is not totally new. OTOH, not knowing whether I'd like the change or run back to the old familiar gear, I bought a body and lenses that Nikon had "renewed" for a substantially lower price than new equipment. Here's the line-up.

Nikon D5600 body (1" APS-C sensor)
AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (came with body)
AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

With a maximum zoom capability of 300mm (1.5 crop factor so 35mm equivalent is 450mm) it's not capable of superzoom but I still have my Coolpix gear for that. OTOH, I've gained a significantly larger sensor.

Here's comparison of 70mm vs 300mm.

Birds in flight are always a challenge but here's my first attempt with the 70-300mm lens. It's a blue heron (I think). It was a long way off so this is a 100% crop from the original. I think the reason that cropped image has decent IQ reflects the larger sensor.

The bottom line is that I'm happy with this new gear and its capability.
Very nice camera and pics!

I was looking to get a Nikon and lenses along that line as I missed my old film SLR and the lenses I had for it. I wanted something with good lenses and thought about like Nikon's 70-300mm as I wanted as few lenses to carry around as possible. Then, Nikon came out with the P900 that has a 83X optical zoom lens and read quite a few positive reviews. So, I decided to go with that and have been extremely please with it. The lens is great!! It's the equivalent of 24-2000mm. No need to carry any other lenses around. Get's great close ups and the zoom is fantastic. The newer P1000 is tempting with it's 125X optical zoom, but I find 83X is plenty and even a challenge to use at that full zoom.

Here's pics of the moon with my P900 from my back yard:

Last edited by Straightshooter1; 08-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:47 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightshooter1 View Post
Very nice camera and pics!

I was looking to get a Nikon and lenses along that line as I missed my old film SLR and the lenses I had for it. I wanted something with good lenses and thought about like Nikon's 70-300mm as I wanted as few lenses to carry around as possible. Then, Nikon came out with the P900 that has a 83X optical zoom lens and read quite a few positive reviews. So, I decided to go with that and have been extremely please with it. The lens is great!! It's the equivalent of 24-2000mm. No need to carry any other lenses around. Get's great close ups and the zoom is fantastic. The newer P1000 is tempting with it's 125X optical zoom, but I find 83X is plenty and even a challenge to use at that full zoom.

Here's pics of the moon with my P900 from my back yard:

Great moon images. The P900 is a super camera. I seriously considered it when i decided to replace my P530. I went with the B700 instead (the P1000 didn't exist at the time) because I wanted RAW capability.

I know what you mean about carrying as few lenses as possible, especially now that I've entered the interchangeable lens camera rabbit hole. As I noted in the OP, prior to getting the D5600, my driver was for more and more zoom which I addressed by adding cameras (instead of lenses): Coolpix P530 42X (gifted away) -> B700 60X -> P1000 125X. The 35X Coolpix A1000 was an impulse buy just to have a small camera with relatively long "reach".

With the D5600, I know that, as a matter of economics, I'll never own a lens that comes close to the maximum focal length of even the A1000 (35mm equivalent of 840mm). OTOH, the DSLR opens up the opportunity to use lenses designed for specific purposes. As an illustration, I've added two more lenses to my gear since the original post - a wide angle lens (Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR) and a prime lens (Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G).

So now I have two bags of gear, one for Coolpix cameras and one for my DSLR and lenses.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i want to get a 4/3 DSLR, but waiting still. I dont want to pack around several lenses so now im just packing my little point n shoot.

when i was reviews my cameras it was pointed out that good pictures is not just due to a sensor or lens. since DSLR cameras have software in them, its a combo of Sensor and not just size, software and lens.

good luck on your future cameras
Old 08-26-2019, 02:02 PM
Straightshooter1
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Software is indeed an integral part of a DSLR camera and what they can do. And software does a great job of enhancing images. But when I comes to long focal lengths and zoom, one's got to go after the good optics . . . like getting as much optical zoom rather than digital zoom.